Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if you're about to buy someone a gift card, just give them cash instead. Its always ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

was at an FEC this weekend to check out their pinball lineup. it was like $53 for 300 'tokens', with all the pins priced at 6 tokens -- kind of a ripoff.

worse, you could only buy token cards from a cashier with a 20 minute wait

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

if you're about to buy someone a gift card, just give them cash instead. Its always ok.
actually, instead of given them cash instead, consider giving ME cash

i guarantee you that it always ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pulling on the strip of tickets coming out of the ski ball because if you pulled just right, you were totally getting an extra ticket or two, or maybe twenty if you got the right one and put exactly the right amount of tension on it

tryna get that atari in the case that cost 5000 tickets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Moviepass just did this with their relaunch. You get points and different movies cost different levels, but i guarantee you it's maximized for "well i guess i'll buy another $10's worth"

it’s so they can get around licensing laws and run speakeasies

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leperflesh posted:

pulling on the strip of tickets coming out of the ski ball because if you pulled just right, you were totally getting an extra ticket or two, or maybe twenty if you got the right one and put exactly the right amount of tension on it

tryna get that atari in the case that cost 5000 tickets

Nostalgic not-yet-tech poo poo: awkwardly holding entire birds nests of tickets because gently caress if you were going to throw them away, and feeling like a tiny smaug on your horde of ski ball tickets (that would ultimately be worth like $2.73 lol).

Our children only have nfc cards that "keep track" of your tickets and remaining money points. This future is shameful for ever getting rid of that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

git apologist posted:

ringtones being the assumed new model for the music industry

New Model .RMA

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I knew someone that for some reason (because they were dirt cheap...iirc his was held together with rubber bands) had a second hand 3210 that when you powered it on had a tiny animation of a bunch of sperm swimming across the screen.

somebody somewhere had a job that involved animating that

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

not even that long ago but i just remembered that adobe will show all pantone colors as black unless you pay lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rarbg I remember you I will never forget you

matti
Mar 31, 2019

website whos name i always needed to google

peace

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Volmarias posted:

Nostalgic not-yet-tech poo poo: awkwardly holding entire birds nests of tickets because gently caress if you were going to throw them away, and feeling like a tiny smaug on your horde of ski ball tickets (that would ultimately be worth like $2.73 lol).

Our children only have nfc cards that "keep track" of your tickets and remaining money points. This future is shameful for ever getting rid of that.

One place would weigh your tickets instead of counting them so people would lick their tickets before having them weighed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
those machines that would take your tickets and spit out a receipt with a barcode on it were the beginning of the end

although thinking about it now it was probably pretty easy to generate your own barcode

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

machines that take $1 bills and spit out change so you can operate something that runs on coinage, and instead of all quarters you'd get like two quarters and three dimes and three nickels and five pennies just in case you needed small change for some reason

I remember there was one of those at the BART station I'd use, so you could pay the 85 cent fare (adult, 35c kids) for a bus if you needed a bus

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

machines that take $1 bills and spit out change so you can operate something that runs on coinage, and instead of all quarters you'd get like two quarters and three dimes and three nickels and five pennies just in case you needed small change for some reason

I remember there was one of those at the BART station I'd use, so you could pay the 85 cent fare (adult, 35c kids) for a bus if you needed a bus

Giving out pennies feels like a dick move unless this was like 1976.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Leperflesh posted:

of course you don't see those today, there's no profit margin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had this exact same model stereo in my dorm room and i was very proud of it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i had an earlier version of this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have been eyeing the panasonic rx dt9 for years, one day I may pull the trigger on one. it was their flagship model and only sold in japan so you have to be lucky to get one on ebay or pay a huge markup importing one from one of those japan auction sites. i for some reason love that late 90s pill shaped boombox aesthetic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

aiwa stuff was good, cheap and usually pretty well designed

where did they go

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

got bought by a phone company and just licenses out the name to be slapped on cheap poo poo to fill walmart like all the old hifi companies, mostly bluetooth speakers and knock-off airpods from what i can tell

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

njsykora posted:

got bought by a phone company and just licenses out the name to be slapped on cheap poo poo to fill walmart like all the old hifi companies, mostly bluetooth speakers and knock-off airpods from what i can tell

depressing tech poo poo u suddenly realized

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

ah man

Roosevelt posted:

depressing tech poo poo u suddenly realized

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Giving out pennies feels like a dick move unless this was like 1976.

I don't actually remember if we got pennies or not
probably not I guess

Shaggar posted:

i had an earlier version of this

so did I! I think maybe this one or a very similar model

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think im gonna get rid of some of my stereos this summer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“some” lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive got 3-4 backups and redundant ones and curiosity pieces. keeping the two good ones and maybe this one technics that's really nice but thats it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i want a stereo that looks like winamp

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

2.x, obviously

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

so just get any car head unit from ~1998-2008

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ive got 3-4 backups and redundant ones and curiosity pieces. keeping the two good ones and maybe this one technics that's really nice but thats it

the little fosi audio things and the other little T*xas instruments class d amps are hard to pass up when i see them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tivo

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

Jonny 290 posted:

my mom just had this guy sitting in storage for decades until I moved back close to home and needed a stereo

no matching turntable, but I got a Yamaha one you can airplay to which is useful & cool

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I don't actually remember if we got pennies or not
probably not I guess

To be fair, if it was a sufficiently large government organization line BART I can absolutely believe it was doing so, out of inertia, until machines that would choke on pennies became dominant and the maintenance costs made someone go "Wait we what? They do what? Does anyone even remember why?"

Actually lol jk they probably all broke down fully

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
proper stereos have wood panelling

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That reminds me, i got an ES cd changer at the thrift couple months back for $10. matches that set. Need to uh get a couple CDs lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wood panel gear is having a mini renaissance as audio companies realize people over 60 are the only ones willing to pay more than a grand for a piece of stereo gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
making luxury enclosures for electronics is one if the tent poles of my retirement