Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
idk i guess it's possible, you're talking like 1-6 ms at most i think? before i was thinking reverb would probably make it indistinguishable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:eyepop:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jabor posted:

the contention is that you can hear the relative phase between two harmonics, which honestly i would consider to be plausible.

remember that you're talking about audiophiles - people who claim they can hear 100khz power supply switching noise through a brick wall

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Good to know the Blacktron moved into audio equipment

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't know anything about anything, but i think the word you're looking for to describe the audible qualities of a sound or instrument is 'timbre.' at least, when you're talking about muddying the 'character' of hats and trumpets, i think "that's timbre."

play a sin wave - without harmonics - through it, and i'm betting you can't tell one setting from the other. this is not really related to whether or not 'timbre' is the right word, i just want to do an experiment

it's going down, I'm yelling timbre

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Hed posted:

Good to know the Blacktron moved into audio equipment

loving M-Trons always trying to degauss your cassettes!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my living room set up is a pair of presonus eris powered monitors, a motu track16, a behringer uca hooked up to a raspi by usb and to the motu by optical. there is also a teac turntable feeding the motu. it has one big volume knob, some meters and thats it really. worksforme

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats pretty legit

honestly guitar player land has been moving to powered monitors + amp sim stuff for a while now. its pretty efficient to get 1 or 2 of those powered wedge cabs and run a helix or whatever. I've got a couple big amps in the closet but i either use the 50w amp thats the size of a nintendo switch, or just plug my guitar straight into the computer and use my computer speaks and sub

ive got like 4-5 of those neural dsp sim plugins and they are really, really good. future is now old man etc. i will never miss hucking a 70 pound amp around

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

forgot to mention that the raspi is running a thing which makes it an airplay receiver too

i might get a receiver just for the purpose of
being able to play/rip the cassette tapes that i have lying around for some reason

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just grab another usb audio dongle that does line in/out and strap it to a tape deck imo

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the bigger problem is where to find a tape deck that is in working order. i have a old 90s walkman style tape deck but that needs repairs and idk if this is possible for a hobbiest

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oops thought I was in the audiophile mock thread

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/superDanimeclub/status/1668071584261902337

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ordered a couple of music cd's over the weekend which was a weird enough experience only to realize that the only CD players I have are in my car and a 2011 macbook pro i have...somewhere? maybe?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Siri, please start navigation to anime.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

4lokos basilisk posted:

the bigger problem is where to find a tape deck that is in working order. i have a old 90s walkman style tape deck but that needs repairs and idk if this is possible for a hobbiest

i kept buying vintage ones from ebay (or from some random guy i found on youtube for boomboxes) but unless you really love tinkering they end up breaking and gear repair shops never seem to be able to fix them. i eventually gave up and just bought a new one based on this guide. the TEAC W-1200 ain't cheap but it's very nice and seems like it'll last.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

buy a sony and learn how to replace the belts because it’s always the loving belts

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

njsykora posted:

buy a sony and learn how to replace the belts because it’s always the loving belts

you have to keep buying bigger ones, amirite?

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

When I was a kid and a game wouldn't run due to a missing DLL I'd download a definitely real copy from some site

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Gubbinal Girl posted:

When I was a kid and a game wouldn't run due to a missing DLL I'd download a definitely real copy from some site

This was my experience in 2023 when I tried to set up some audio recording stuff with WINE

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wasn't the one literally named "dllsite" legit? I used it a lot trying to run weird old poo poo asking for ancient VB libraries

Early windows gamemakers like Click & Create, Klik & Play or The Games Factory had their proprietary library and sometimes game authors skipped including them to save on the file size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzDPxOC0HY

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

laserghost posted:

Wasn't the one literally named "dllsite" legit? I used it a lot trying to run weird old poo poo asking for ancient VB libraries

Early windows gamemakers like Click & Create, Klik & Play or The Games Factory had their proprietary library and sometimes game authors skipped including them to save on the file size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzDPxOC0HY

I doubt I paid much attention to the specific site but I know it worked enough that it was worth trying. I have a distinct memory of trying dozens of dlls to get survival crisis z running on vista. Totally worth the multiple viruses I installed

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

Eh, i agree and also disagree

90 degrees phase offset at 40 hz is 6ish ms offset, which i've grown to be able to discern because i've spent dozens of hours tweaking ASIO latency numbers

but yeah, for ordinary use, it's nbd

The big thing is that most music has harmonic content, so if a trumpet honks, it's got like five overtones and if the lower ones get shifted by a few ms it all sounds a bit mud

i think phase shifter effects are a good way to hear the extreme versions, you can hear how a slightly out of phase signal creates or mutes certain harmonics and it changes the tone.

https://youtu.be/x_8hAnbCJW0

that effect takes an out of phase signal and mixes it back with the original signal into one speaker, so the interference is really strong. for a home stereo youkd be hearing out of phase signals from different areas in the room where the speakers are, rather than mixed into one speaker, and you would hear it constantly, that is, without the oscillator raking it back and forth. you can hear how the interference changes the tone tho, you’d hear a very small version of that just walking around the room or running extra long speaker wires, and it would be constant, not oscillating like that unless ypu are running back and forth between the speakers constantly.

much harder to notice than that in a real stereo setup.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NFTs - in retrospect they came and went really fast

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

distortion park posted:

NFTs - in retrospect they came and went really fast

Yeah, popular awareness of them lasted for a few months at most and even then no one actually cared. Most people immediately realized the silliness of "owning" a digital asset that you can just download for free.

It's funny seeing people with them as avatars on Twitter still. They're like the lowest rung of the scammer hierarchy now.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gubbinal Girl posted:

I mean yeah they're called Definitely Legal Libraries of course they're legit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

you have to keep buying bigger ones, amirite?

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gubbinal Girl posted:

Yeah, popular awareness of them lasted for a few months at most and even then no one actually cared. Most people immediately realized the silliness of "owning" a digital asset that you can just download for free.

It's funny seeing people with them as avatars on Twitter still. They're like the lowest rung of the scammer hierarchy now.

there's a third party grip that's coming out for the switch that's backed by embracer (the games company that's currently having to fire shitloads of people after buying shitloads of companies because it didn't realise line could go down) that has a "digital proof of authenticity" that everyone says would 100% have been an NFT if it had come out a year ago

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

remember Micro$oft MSN? oh its back baby

https://escargot.chat/

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Armitag3 posted:

remember Micro$oft MSN? oh its back baby

https://escargot.chat/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this sure is an awfully convoluted way of convincing people to install remote access tools

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the only memory of microsoft messenger i have is going like this at my coworker who sat right across me:

:):):):):):):):)
:):):argh::):):):)

which looked funny with the msn smilies to me twenty years ago

its not bad. but its also not the same thing with sa smileys in 2023. the angry msn smiley in a sea of happy msn smileys did something for me

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
all those (?) emoticons flying through chat to do the "hidden" asl thing

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

me and my buddy both used the sa emoticon pack on Adium. that poo poo ruled.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DamnGlitch posted:

me and my buddy both used the sa emoticon pack on Adium. that poo poo ruled.

amen but it was pidgin instead

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kitfox88 posted:

amen but it was pidgin instead

gaim before pidgin but same

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
loving gaim oh my god

tabbed chats? gently caress yes that poo poo ruled. drat what was that ie mod that had tabs waaaay back when… avant browser? it wasn’t avast… I just remember downloading a browser that had tabs when my only exposure to browsers was internet explorer and the aol browser

I will not search this at all please help

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don’t even know who id talk to on an im service these days

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Fart Sandwiches posted:

loving gaim oh my god

drat what was that ie mod that had tabs waaaay back when… avant browser? it wasn’t avast… I just remember downloading a browser that had tabs when my only exposure to browsers was internet explorer and the aol browser

I will not search this at all please help

maxthon?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
my loving god search is so bad these days. I give up. it was a tabbed browser that ran on win98 in 2001 that I’m pretty sure was just running multiple ie instances to have those tabs. it was amazing and it wasn’t opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yes, that's what i used before phoenix firefox!