Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
2g so it's going to be a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Agile Vector posted:

time to open the WAP Browser

left right down down down left down left down down down *unzips*

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when sa login still didn't support 2fa

oh wait

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i still use the password lowtax sent me upon registration lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If we can't stop calling it phpbb, we can't update security, thems the rules

Also, what is someone going to do, steal my posts? Lol if they can do a worse job than I can at this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the elixir forums rewrite

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

the elixir forums rewrite

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what the h*ck was all that advertising about "sprint pcs" about

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh my god wasn't there some thing where you took an internet subscription and got some terrible spec pc with it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh my god wasn't there some thing where you took an internet subscription and got some terrible spec pc with it?

yeah that was a bunch of companies, emachines did that a lot and i got my first laptop as a bundle with a phone plan

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Progressive JPEG posted:

what the h*ck was all that advertising about "sprint pcs" about

pcs being personal communications service, adopted in the mid 90s when cell phones were just breaking into the consumer market - sprint itself existed before cell phones.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
pcs to pcs in this bitch

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

there was a company called "blue hippo computers", which was a scam that preyed on the poor. they required a certain number of payments, taken directly from your bank account, and promised a computer in return once a certain number of successful payments were made. it was basically a scummy combination rent-to-own/layaway thing that wound up being a total scam, because they only ever shipped one computer after collecting millions of dollars from desperate people

`Nemesis posted:

pcs being personal communications service, adopted in the mid 90s when cell phones were just breaking into the consumer market - sprint itself existed before cell phones.

final fantasy 7 had a menu item called "phs" to switch characters, which made no sense to me, and probably everyone outside of japan, at the time. it stood for "personal handyphone system", which was a japanese cell phone protocol only used there, in limited parts of asia, and chile. the last phs base stations were shut down about 10 years ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

final fantasy 7 had a menu item called "phs" to switch characters, which made no sense to me, and probably everyone outside of japan, at the time. it stood for "personal handyphone system", which was a japanese cell phone protocol only used there, in limited parts of asia, and chile. the last phs base stations were shut down about 10 years ago
I think they were like somewhere between cordless phones and cellular microcells (basically I think they were like microcells but my impression is that the phones could only be used within a specific facility) and they were used until fairly recently in hospitals that had policies prohibiting cellphones for whatever reason.

It's pretty interesting that they were fairly widespread in Japan but never caught on anywhere else, but they obviously have no reason to exist nowadays.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 3, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

It's pretty interesting that they were fairly widespread in Japan but never caught on anywhere else, but they obviously have no reason to exist nowadays.

the 80s and 90s was when japan was at their peak of "not invented here" syndrome, so it's not surprising that they went with their own proprietary thing while basically the entire rest of the world was going with gsm when rolling out their cellular networks

when they designed the ps2, they had the system clock store the internal base time as jst (utc +0900), unlike everything else on earth that internally stored the time as utc, because of course they did

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2024

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

mystes posted:

I think they were like somewhere between cordless phones and cellular microcells (basically I think they were like microcells but my impression is that the phones could only be used within a specific facility) and they were used until fairly recently in hospitals that had policies prohibiting cellphones for whatever reason.

The UK had a few attempts at this type of system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tL8P5Gr40o

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

The_Franz posted:

when they designed the ps2, they had the system clock store the internal base time as jst (utc +0900), unlike everything else on earth that internally stored the time as utc, because of course they did

at first i thought that couldn't possibly be workable due to daylight saving time, but apparently they don't use DST in japan

also, by system clock do you mean the kernel's notion of the current time on a running system, or the time stored in the real-time clock? because i can think of at least one system that stored local time in the RTC

this is pretty wild:

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

lol:

quote:

2004-09-02: A blog post by Windows developer Raymond Chen suggests that (a) the Windows development team really hasn't grasped the magnitude of problems caused by day-light switching the RTC (especially in dual-boot environments), and that (b) Microsoft might be more inclined to move to UTC if BIOS manufacturers simply removed the RTC clock display from their setup menus, because some Microsoft folks appear to think that displaying UTC in the built-in BIOS config menu (next to other arcane settings such as the type of floppy drive used) is still way too scary for mere mortals.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The_Franz posted:

the 80s and 90s was when japan was at their peak of "not invented here" syndrome, so it's not surprising that they went with their own proprietary thing while basically the entire rest of the world was going with gsm when rolling out their cellular networks

there’s also japan’s implementation of the scart video connector where they used the same connector shape but completely changed the pinout to make the rgb21 standard

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
was just reminded of the article by brian x chen in a 2009 issue of wired where he argued that the japanese hate the iphone and it will never catch on there

the article was so full of bullshit and spectacular errors that the multiple corrections and editors notes ended up being longer than the article itself

naturally chen is writing for the new york times now

( https://www.wired.com/2009/02/why-the-iphone/ )

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so were anti-static straps just a scam or what

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

was just reminded of the article by brian x chen in a 2009 issue of wired where he argued that the japanese hate the iphone and it will never catch on there

the article was so full of bullshit and spectacular errors that the multiple corrections and editors notes ended up being longer than the article itself

naturally chen is writing for the new york times now

( https://www.wired.com/2009/02/why-the-iphone/ )
To be fair, the update is from more than a year after the original article and lots of people in Japan at the time also infamously believed that foreign smartphones couldn't possibly succeed there because of the whole ecosystem around Japanese cellphones at the time, which turned out to be hilariously wrong when smartphones completely destroyed the Japanese cellphone handset market overnight.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Progressive JPEG posted:

so were anti-static straps just a scam or what

They're real as hell, but i've never worn one, and i have never blown up a cmos anything ever and i shuffle my feet on the carpet as a nervous habit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you don't need them if you know what you're doing, touch a metal part of the case before reaching in and poking at more sensitive components, etc

if you're liable to forget that sort of thing you might find them useful

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I muck around with electronics, soldering and stuff, and I do it on a grounded mat and wear a wrist strap for that. Probably wouldn't bother just for replacing ram or w/e but since it's here ready to go I do.

When I was 16 I killed our pentium 75's motherboard after opening it up on carpet to do something or other. probably trying to overclock. dad wasn't happy.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they serve a purpose, but people have latched onto them to the point of magical thinking. people in youtube comments cry if you open a computer case without wearing one

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it's really unlikely that you'll zap something, but it can happen. if you're working on some home pc made with commodity parts that can be replaced, who cares. if you're working on a custom asic prototype where only like 100 of the chips exist, and each completed dev board costs high four low five figures in parts and labor by the time it's brought up, you don't want to take any chances. if you're working at a tech bench day in day out, you roll the dice every time you touch something, so eventually it'll come up snake eyes.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've never zapped a component into oblivion but one time i had a computer case open in the high school computer lab to show someone the different components and someone else yelled "hey let's play craps", picked up the screws, tossed them into the case like a handful of dice, and that computer never worked again vOv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I open on average 10 or 15 computers a day every day, sometimes much more depending on what’s going on.

I’ve never killed a computer with static.

I get the place of static wrist straps, especially in high buck enterprise racks, but for the most part they aren’t needed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've never zapped a component into oblivion but one time i had a computer case open in the high school computer lab to show someone the different components and someone else yelled "hey let's play craps", picked up the screws, tossed them into the case like a handful of dice, and that computer never worked again vOv

lol rip

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

another innocent life claimed by gambling

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

the true origin of the butlerian jihad, revealed at last

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

rofl

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I grew up in drained swampland and didn't see static discharge except for like 45 days in the winter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one day i heard a clicking from my ham radio desk every 30 seconds

couldnt figure it out

it was so dry here that my ham radio antenna was building up enough static that it was inducing an arc across the plates of the capacitor in my matching box thingy

(the cure for this is to put a 1 meg resistor across the antenna wires - doesn't come into play for actual RF stuff but bleeds off the potential)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

throwing metal objects at equipment full of electricity. who could have imagined this outcome?

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Raluek posted:

it's really unlikely that you'll zap something, but it can happen. if you're working on some home pc made with commodity parts that can be replaced, who cares. if you're working on a custom asic prototype where only like 100 of the chips exist, and each completed dev board costs high four low five figures in parts and labor by the time it's brought up, you don't want to take any chances. if you're working at a tech bench day in day out, you roll the dice every time you touch something, so eventually it'll come up snake eyes.

i helped a friend put together a 486 system (i think?) back in the day, we were putting it together coffee table since it was the best flat surface we had. one of his kids came over to see what was going on and he was a gobstopper or something in his mouth

anyway he goes to say something, te loving candy falls out and lands right on the motherboard

kid reaches in, grabs his candy, flicks the jumpers that had stuck to it away, says "whoops sorry" and just walks off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Branch Nvidian posted:

throwing metal objects at equipment full of electricity. who could have imagined this outcome?

i dont really think coac was expressing disbelief or bewilderment there tbh

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont really think coac was expressing disbelief or bewilderment there tbh

oh yeah, i'm more commenting on the fact some kid did that in the first place, lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

guaranteed snake eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Curious Marc killed a decades-old chip he was showing in one of his videos by, you know, touching it.

And that one Canadian goober keeps finding dead RAM because he keeps loving touching the chips. "This was OK before [I touched it] but now it's bad?!?!?!?!?!?"

(edited for clarity)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 11, 2024