Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FMguru posted:

lol at the five hot minutes when pico projectors were going to be the next must-have cellphone feature

I wish my phone was orders of magnitude hotter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish my phone was orders of magnitude hotter

and i say batteries last too long

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
How else are you going to project the keyboard on the desk?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crazy Achmed posted:

and i say batteries last too long
one of those phones shipped with a free movie (I think it was avatar) as a demo and it couldn’t project in its entirety before going from 100% to 0% battery

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember for a brief moment when 3d phones were going to be a thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember for a brief moment when 3d phones were going to be a thing

it would sure make them much easier to pick up :dadjoke:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

taqueso posted:

How else are you going to project the keyboard on the desk?

There was a PM at the place I worked 2 jobs ago who was one of ~those guys~ who used a projected keyboard for like a hot minute. (Also a big fan of funkos.) (Also played Hearthstone in a highly visible way on his work machine.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

shoeberto posted:

There was a PM at the place I worked 2 jobs ago who was one of ~those guys~ who used a projected keyboard for like a hot minute. (Also a big fan of funkos.) (Also played Hearthstone in a highly visible way on his work machine.)

I have witnessed someone using one of those unironically in the last calendar year.

It was a sharper image one too lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hed posted:

lol Iomega also started marketing a CD-R / -RW drive Called the “Zip 650” since they were getting their rear end handed to them by the late 90s by cheaper and ubiquitous optical drives.
My first cdr drive was an iomega 4x cdr drive. I think it was one of the first reasonably cheap ones and I got a ton of use out of it.

I'm not sure if the model I got had "zip" in the name but maybe.

It was cool when computer stuff was just constantly improving.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

It was cool when computer stuff was just constantly improving.

i get what you're saying but it's also cool that modern computers are reliable, quiet, cool, and fast. those incremental improvements are only nostalgic to us because we remembered that it was dogshit before them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

i get what you're saying but it's also cool that modern computers are reliable, quiet, cool, and fast.

Source your quotes please

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i am constantly impressed when an application opens instantly. things can keep iterating quietly now, so long as storage keeps getting dummy fast like it has

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Volmarias posted:

Source your quotes please

--me, talking about my loving fast rear end computer that never crashes? idk friend

even the 2018 dell laptop i just got for $50 for music stuff is pretty nice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

--me, talking about my loving fast rear end computer that never crashes? idk friend

haha, i do appreciate you setting yourself up for someone quoting when your were mad as hell about it bluescreening reliably

but, yeah, honestly feels good that this expensive stuff isn't effectively disposable anymore

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
my first cd burner was a plextor with the caddy thing, i thought it was cool

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

just remembered that i got half-life 2 as the collector's edition which included a limited edition t-shirt (xl men's only)

but look at that looooong box

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Yoooo

Crazy flashback nostalgia trip.

I used those jewel cases (I found in a box at school near trash) for my cheap PC games bought from staples that didn’t come in a box - just a hard cardboard thin disc case.

I never knew the machine the cases were for but I for sure remember that jewel case with the hinge that was offset and bent all my manuals.

And the spring metal tab on the back.

What were these actually used for?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 3, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i had one, it was just a cd drive, but instead of a slot (laptop style) or a retractable holder (desktop style) it accepted that cartridge with the cd inside. why? no fuckin idea

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
you stuck the disc in the caddy and the drive only accepted the caddy... no tray mechanism or feed mechanism, just insert/eject.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Puppet Master posted:

just remembered that i got half-life 2 as the collector's edition which included a limited edition t-shirt (xl men's only)

sorta miss buying games that had manuals and stuff in the box. still have the manuals to e.g. return to zork and homeworld, as well as a bunch of n64 games, but had long since thrown out their boxes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

it’s wild that basically any i5-4xxx chip or above with a grip of ram and an SSD is still very usable in tyool 2022.

it’s not a gaming pc, but as a web surfing/office device it’s practically good as new

the biggest problem with laptops of that age is the garbage screens, not the horsepower.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

haha, i do appreciate you setting yourself up for someone quoting when your were mad as hell about it bluescreening reliably

but, yeah, honestly feels good that this expensive stuff isn't effectively disposable anymore

oh wow loving owned! guess ill go jump off a cliff. No that was a hosed up video driver i fixed it, it works fine now. dell's the problem not computers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

when the 360 was coming out and mountain dew was doing a promo where you could win one before the official release, i wound up winning one and it came with a swag box, which included a bunch of xl t-shirts that wound up ultimately being cut into pieces for rags because they were more like a tent than a shirt, and there was no way i was going to be a walking mountain dew advertisement

i do still have the original japanese metal gear solid collectors edition nearly mint in the box, including the t-shirt still folded up in plastic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do not ryzenshame, lest you imply that you are not, in fact jizzen for ryzen.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

if im not mistaken the tshirt was a piece of poo poo. black shirt with the grey HL2 logo on the chest only.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it’s wild that basically any i5-4xxx chip or above with a grip of ram and an SSD is still very usable in tyool 2022.

it’s not a gaming pc, but as a web surfing/office device it’s practically good as new

the biggest problem with laptops of that age is the garbage screens, not the horsepower.

I bought a $90 Dell optiplex with an i5 4590 as a living room general purpose computer. Still using a spinning disk, but with 8gig of ram, the only thing that makes it feel like an old computer is doing video editing.

Starting to feel like things have been sitting at 4 cores and 3.some ghz for a while now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clock speeds aren't getting much faster, but processors are getting more efficient per cycle and 4 cores really is not that many any more. my processor has 12 cores, 24 threads

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my processor has as many cores as saint timb dictates it shall have, and if the number of threads exceeds said cores then it is a miracle, a grace performed only by stebe our lord

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

clock speeds aren't getting much faster, but processors are getting more efficient per cycle and 4 cores really is not that many any more. my processor has 12 cores, 24 threads

But 4 cores is still the basic option for most any laptop or office machine the average person would buy.

And it has been a while since any one has invented a new killer app that requires some major hardware upgrade.

Even Facebook's dumb VR plans are being sold on souped up smartphone hardware.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but how well does it run crysis???

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Funny tech poo poo I just remembered - kid in high school had his parents pre-order a p4 system. Then the benchmarks came out.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The_Franz posted:

when the 360 was coming out and mountain dew was doing a promo where you could win one before the official release, i wound up winning one and it came with a swag box, which included a bunch of xl t-shirts that wound up ultimately being cut into pieces for rags because they were more like a tent than a shirt, and there was no way i was going to be a walking mountain dew advertisement

i do still have the original japanese metal gear solid collectors edition nearly mint in the box, including the t-shirt still folded up in plastic

you don’t have pms so I’ll ask here. for real I will buy this from you. I’m a huge metal gear geek and I had the shirt when I was younger but I wore it too much and it got ruined. I have hayter’s autograph on my original copy of the game I got at toys r us

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that time that apple forced a U2 album onto everyone’s iPhone and it backfired so badly that they had to provide a utility to delete the songs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

that time that apple forced a U2 album onto everyone’s iPhone and it backfired so badly that they had to provide a utility to delete the songs

this was some real boomer poo poo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Wish there was an app that would delete U2 irl

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine being so into a band that you cannot fathom that like 2 billion other people might not love them as much as you do.

Also that band is U2

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that u2 ipod was fully sick for the time, though. it rocked the same color scheme i used for a cobbled-together pc tower and a cheap cd player half a decade prior but only the ipod came with u2's signatures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine being so into a band that you cannot fathom that like 2 billion other people might not love them as much as you do.

Also that band is U2

timb is a simple man. he loves u2 and oprah and optimizing logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what's his opinion on RED