Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

> funy tech poo poo u just remembered v2.0. 56k-safe

when intel was good?

im ordering parts for a new machine and it's lol AMD all the way

back in the p4 vs athlon days intel still had the advantage of chipsets that weren't a total dumpster fire, that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, so yeah the new AMD chips seem like a no brainer

last upgrade i wasn't fully sold on the first gen ryzen chips just in case issues started coming up with them, so i bought intel, who then promptly changed the loving socket for the next gen. owned

jesus, that was 3 years and change ago. i still think of it as being new :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

computer lifetimes are a lot longer in 2020 than they were back in 2000 though. 3 years is not old even in a lot of professional contexts.

yeah, that's what i was thinking of, 2 years used to be creaky, 3 was obsolete

p3 clock speeds tripled in less time than i've had this desktop i still think of as being fast and new

my main personal laptop is 7 years old, and it's fine. imagine back then still using a p60 after gigahertz p3s and athlons were out

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the thing that blows my mind a bit is how cheap ssd storage got. I have a 64gb ssd on my desk that I used as an os drive in 2007 and I need to get rid of, and a stack of hdds that got rendered completely obsolete. One has a post it not saying "windows vista" on it lol.

I think the last hdd I used I got annoyed with the spin up noise of and just stuck another 1tb ssd in to replace it.

yeah, ssd in everything for the os, apps and swap has been the biggest improvement to the pc since what? the first 3d video cards? just a real game changer

i do kind of miss just buying a new drive twice the size of the old one for less money once it got full. we were pretty spoiled for a while there in cost/capacity improvements until the tsunami in thailand

i think i might have posted this in this thread before, but a favourite tech relic of mine is the naive thought 'holy poo poo, this drive's so big i'm never going to fill it', thought of a 30GB deskstar when I still had a loving bigfoot installed in my desktop

still worked the last time i gave it power tbf, the deskstar not so much.

also, holy poo poo raptors, i wonder how long it's been since i thought of them

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, if my old cpu didnt fry in may id still be using my i5 2500k, a 9 year old chip, to play 2020 games with only modest slider changes. the longevity of any decent cpu is so much better now

an overclocked e4300 c2d hung in there for more than a decade for me. it's nuts.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

808, not solid state.

:haw:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

binoculars maybe

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Winty posted:

i was thinking about that brief period when hardware accelerated window managers were popular... wobbly windows, the rotating 3D cube workspaces, unnecessary transparency, etc

i spent loving ages getting compiz working, then i think less than a minute to conclude 'oh, this is actually terrible to use' and disabling it

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

windows 7 launch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

e4300 was also a screamer. stickered at 1.8, mine went to 3.2 and some people got double. heavy 300a vibes.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Platystemon posted:

split to two discs, duh

that reminds me: the entire distinction between the latin “disc” for optical media and the greek “disk” for magnetic media

programme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMWEiCdsfc

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

also, the practice of downloading warez through irc bots

still a thing for ebooks

my current phone came with an fm tuner and wireless earbuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006