Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
oh wow I totally managed to block "portals" from my memory for like 20 years

IBM WEBSPHERE PORTAL SERVER

for all of your portal needs

I worked on a portal thing for like 9 months and the entire time I thought surely there is a better way to present this information other than random slowly loading boxes on a webpage

last published 9 may 2009 rip https://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
that T9 typing competition where the finalists were like a 12 year old girl and 30-something year old dude.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
sun microsystems

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
that one time lowtax removed the Powered by: vBulletin footer at the bottom of the forums page and they came after him for some sort of "license violation" which is why its still there today

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sweevo posted:

who actually is the audience for U2? because i've never met a single person who gave the tiniest poo poo about them

I have a friend who was super, duper into U2 all the way from HS -> Uni -> adulthood. He's in his 30's now.

why yes he is one of the whitest people I know, why do you ask?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my grandparents installed a central vacuum system in their vacation house and i love how funky it is. there are outlets throughout the place you plug the hose of the attachment into, which connects to a central vacuum tank in the garage. it's unnecessarily complicated and extremely ineffective

my childhood home had one of those. I lost so many hot wheels cars down that god drat vacuum tube

vacuuming was like dragging a fuckin fire hose around the house

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I actually saw a foldable phone in the wild today

I didn’t know anyone actually bought one of those drat things

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

i was pondering pulling the stock ford stereo (6cd indash changer lomarf) for a double din head unit so i can get carplay but theyre all just so gross and ugly, except the $1,000 ones, which are gross, ugly, and expensive

I kept my kenwood cd head unit from 1996 until 2011 (when I bought a new car) exactly because it had zero dancing lights and stupid poo poo on it.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
gently caress this thread reminded me I interviewed my elementary school janitor when I was like in 3rd grade for some project.

I mostly remember his room smelled strongly of cigarettes

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

I made so many stupid little programs with TP when I was young; it ruled

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i was going to say i'm pretty sure the last time i saw one was at a fancy restaurant, but even that was probably sometime around 2000

kinda cool that they're still around though. i wonder if the kids that work there know what it is lol

we had one a couple years ago at a scuba shop cuz their computers were down. my gf had no idea what it was

the last time I saw one was my local gas station in the 90’s

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
in the mid 90's i worked for a hospital system that had a medical records app written in server-side javascript (this was p progressive at the time all things considered) - but it basically committed every possible web app security sin possible: passwords stored plaintext, validation done in client-side JS, zero attempts at preventing sql injection, etc.

mid-2000's we pitched re-writing it in a modern java stack so we could put it on ~the internet~ so regional doc offices could access records more easily. one of the more dipshit project managers asked "why not just put the existing app on the web?" so to demonstrate why that was a dumb loving idea i brought the app up, put his username in, and put
code:
a sql injection string that is being blocked by cloudflare, lol
as his password and whoops now i'm you.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Volmarias posted:

:corsair:

How did this work when JS wasn't released until 1995, for browsers? Is this actually 1999 or something and an early version of ASP?

this woulda been 96-97. it was built
on Sybase enterprise adaptive server. but yeah analogous to ASP.

not bad to work other than all the source was stored in (what else) a Sybase database so version control was “export the db to file share, lol”

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
that happened to my roommate in college - he spent the next couple hours cleaning plastic bits out of his case, lol

edit: made a p cool sound though

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
that time epic games (I think) put a scrolling LED on a webcam and let random people on the internet type stuff into it

the one i remember is "bald man a/s/l?" cuz they was a bald dude on the cam at the time. I know a pic of this exists but i can't find it; if you have it please do the needful

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
even in HK there’s a couple places (up on certain mountains and at least one beach) where there’s no signal even though you can get signal a mile underground in the subway or w/e

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you get a signal from a couple hundred feet away tops in the subway

hi I am hyperbole have we met

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I still use one.

what the gently caress

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh my god at a previous job i had an office right next to a sales guy and his loving default nokia ringtone went off at least once per hour

I worked next to a project manager who took all his meetings/phone calls on speaker phone and I have not ever wanted to murder anyone more than Ken. gently caress you ken

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

well-read undead posted:

i can’t think of a more irresponsible thing to do with cds

put ‘em in the microwave or oven at max temp and turn it on

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Armitag3 posted:

I think the USA are the only ones still using voice mail at all. i wonder if its staying power is because of movies that use voice mails as a narrative device

I get/got spam voicemails quite often in HK

or at least I assume they’re spam I’ve never listened to them

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Manzoon posted:

Buddy of mine was obsessed with orange Sunkist soda

throughout college during summer and winter break I would intern as a programmer in a building of ~30 people. there was a vending machine in the break room and I’d get an orange soda once or twice a day. apparently I was the only one that ever t drank it bc one day after I had gone back to school the drink refill guy finally asked my coworker “hey why is it I have to bring orange soda all the drat time around Christmas and the summertime but then never any other time of the year?” lol

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sagebrush posted:

did he start filling it up with lemon-lime to spite you?

it was probably just more Diet Coke cuz I worked with a lot of olds

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
AppleTalk
eWorld

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

I used Eudora for far longer than was reasonable

I eventually had to give it up for Tim apple mail

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
why the gently caress would you ever want to live in Joplin or Springfield I’ve been to both multiple times and nooooooope

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

not everybody wants to live in a megacity

im not saying they're like top of the heap or whatever, but there you go that's a reason.

oh sure I get that but like at least pick Columbia or something. there’s lots of 100k pop cities with better qol all over the states

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sagebrush posted:

singaporean bureaucrat detected

you can bring it in you just can’t buy it here

chew gum with your mouth closed and you’re good - mouth open chewing you get the death penalty that’s the rules sorry

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

polyester concept posted:

weedlord bonerhitler

bald man a/s/l?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

shitface posted:

chap means to knock

no it doesn’t don’t make stuff up

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

outhole surfer posted:

anyone remember fusion io aka woz's last stand

we had db scaling problems years ago when our player growth was basically a vertical line and and our short term solution was “oh we can just spend $100k per db server and get a comical number of iops problem solved”

thanks fusionio!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
my gf who i love dearly books the most insane flights for no reason for herself sometimes. she's coming up to HK tomorrow and has to get up at 3am to catch her flight. there is no timeline or deadline or any reason to get here at 10am.

anyway it reminded me of my favorite flight booking website hipmunk which was acquired by concur/sap some years ago and shut down. i loved it cuz one of the options to sort flights by was "agony" which is just loving brilliant

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Elder Postsman posted:

when i travel i like to arrive in the morning and leave in the afternoon, even if it means getting up at 3 or 4 am. give you more time at your destination. i'll just sleep in the airport and on the airplane.

i guarantee you the first thing she'll do when she gets here is take a nap. speaking of which i need to get moving to go pick her up. and god almighty i wish i could sleep on planes; just can't do it

Wild EEPROM posted:

it was probably like $24 cheaper

probably, but it's already on one of the the crap budget airlines over here so it's already like $100 cheaper than singapore airlines

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Raluek posted:

im still using this freebie one i got at some show/expo type thing in... 2004, or so?

its starting to lose its rubber foam on the back, but it's still hanging in there :kiddo:

I still use the free mousepad I got when I bought OS X 10.1(?) from the local Mac computer store

it’s circular like yours but it’s black with an X in the center

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
it was kinda impressive how quickly they nuked their brand with the addition of ted-x

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Agile Vector posted:

from what i heard, it at least improves on the book because the director doesn't have the main character read buzzfeed listicles while grinning because he recognizes all the brands for several minutes

I mean it’s fuckin’ Spielberg it’s at least ok. I saw it at a work outing cuz hey free popcorn and beer. is it worth watching? no.

the book however is the only book I’ve hate-read to the end because I couldn’t let go of the feeling of “how the gently caress did this ever get published?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

minidracula posted:

What did I do on earth to deserve this?

owned lol