Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

SO DEMANDING posted:

game publishers dragging their feet on releasing games on DVD

UT2K4 was like 5 CDs, but the limited super deluxe bonus edition was on DVD! and sold out within minutes, i had to pay a premium on ebay for it lol

UT2K4 absolutely refused to install from DVD with some cryptic error on my PC. I had to return 2 DVD copies and ask for it on CD instead the 3rd time from the nice man in Game.

Sweevo posted:

is that the DRM thing? because sony cannot release anything without DRM bullshit

I am 99% certain my OG PS2 memory card said 'Magicgate' on it, I had no idea what it was at the time.

Also lmao that Sony had so many form factors available and still re-used the PS1 memory card design instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My PC still has a BR drive in it, because like 7 years ago I got the notion that I'd rip my film collection and donate the discs somewhere.

Of course I got bored at like "E" in my library and I can't even remember what format/encoding I used but it's probably bad and wrong now, and my PS4 makes a fine BR player so I still have a shelf full of discs.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

echinopsis posted:

when I first got half life 2 and it needed to install steam and then update before I played. it was a physical disk that I then needed to update before I could even play? god that’s bullshit

I had the dvd version but yo could get it on 7 cds

I had to return my DVD copy of UT2004 and get the CD version instead because the DVD drive I had kept puking reading the disc for some reason. That was 5 install discs plus the "play disc" and came in a massive cardboard box the size of a decent hardback book.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My dad lived in Hong Kong for a while around 2000 ish and would send /bring me random discs from the markets, like I think I remember one being various versions of autocad as I wanted to study engineering (i never used it)

I think I also bought a pirate copy of 3ds max from a street vendor in Bulgaria in 2002

neither was directly useful for actual engineering, but messing around with 3ds and a demo of truespace did mean I was a bit ahead of the game when we came to using a real Cad package. It was just unfortunate the one we learned on was incredibly niche (I-DEAS if anyone cares)

Hah, we had some wanky CAD software at my secondary school that I lost the name of. It was incredibly basic but still had the essential CAD feature of randomly puking fatal errors with no option to save.

We had to model something from home so I did my og boxy PS2 because it was right there next to my computer and people's minds were blown because I'd used things like the pattern tool for the front face and made it vaguely the right colour. Eventually a teacher and I puzzled out using the loft tool and I made an incredibly bad fan in the back of it.

I really wish I remembered what that software was. It was insanely bad but I almost want to fire it up for nostalgia's sake and wonder how I ever did anything in it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
MSN explorer. Idiot child me used that for years, and the internet tells me it still exists today wtf.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Gentle Autist posted:

wasn’t netflix silverlight only at first?

Yes, and in the UK Sky's streaming service was still Silverlight based for years after it was EOL.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jonny 290 posted:

you couldnt build a machine between 98 and 07 and have it boot on first post without a blood sacrifice

I still have the 2006 Lian Li case I build my first 'good' PC in, and it was a revelation at the time because some of the inside edges weren't sharp!

It even had a token strip of plastic alongside the PSU so I didn't slice all the spare cables I crammed on top of my disc drive. Luxury!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Other thing I just remembered: killing our T-Bird 1400 family PC when the processor fan died whist I was playing Planetside or some poo poo

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I use a block of wood & a hydraulic press to seat my RAM, ensuring a perfect insertion as both latches click in absolute synchronicity milliseconds before being crushed into dust with the rest of the mobo.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
After all my bs about how much better modern cases are, my 3070 rocked up on Monday and claimed a blood sacrifice as is the way.

Unfortunately I didn't notice immediately, and now some of my white PSU cables & a ram stick have pink/red stains on them :barf:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

the worst is those garbage hand dryers though. He told me everyone in the Dyson office hates the things as well.

lol we have these at work, 6 months ago or whenever the first time COVID was "over" facilities gleefully announced they'd be turned back on and the paper dispensers ripped put. They backed down immediately after a bunch of ppl told them how bad that idea was.

Amazing that "mists whatever fecal soup is brewing in the bottom into the face of the user" got missed as a flaw during product development but here we are.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We inherited a Dyson vacuum and despite being horrid & plasticky the stupid thing is a decade+ old and refuses to die. My brain cannot allow me to spend £ on 'just' a QOL improvement so I'm gonna be lugging this piece of crap around until it breaks irreperably.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

this happened to me years ago. I was close enough to the exchange that I was (copper) wired to it directly instead of a local cabinet and for some obscure UK reason, it was not allowed to put the new generation DSL hardware inside an exchange so I was stuck with an old sub 10mpbs connection.

the clearly very difficult to imagine idea of "just rewire me to a cabinet" was beyond BT, in the end I just moved house.

How recently was this? From a summer spent installing racks in 2007, there's a good chance the exchange was full and still waiting for all the 50V POTS poo poo to be ripped out to make way for more racks.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Mr. Nice! posted:

they're pretty good, and if you use heading styles you can make a baller table of contents. likewise when you export to pdf, it automatically inserts bookmarks for your headings from the table of contents.

Somehow our install at work has PDF bookmarks turned off by default and it's maddening. Just firing 70 page+ technical docs out to customers that are one long section, extremely cool

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My car's from 2008 which is recent enough that I'm offended when someone calls it "old", but it's French so it's aging in dog years.

It does have an aux-in adapter that emulates a CD changer and lets you control an OG iPod with the factory stereo, which is quaint in 2022. Also clearly an afterthought because factory fitment is velcro'd to the inside of the glovebox.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

git apologist posted:

this is how fibré in new zealand works

Same in the UK, I have FTTH and it goes ONT > PPPoE router

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Midjack posted:

they at least fixed the controller situation after a couple of years.

I found a sixaxis in the bottom of a tub of old cables just the other day

What a tremendous piece of poo poo

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

those colour coded mouse and keyboard ps2 connectors, also the colour coded soundcard i/o sockets that you could never remember the colours for so just had to use trial and error because the tiny etched icon was always unreadable

Explaining over the phone to a relative that they need to swap the two red RCA plugs on their component cable to make it work

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Boody posted:

magicgate.

This triggered a deep, dormant memory so I'm here to add: console memory cards, specifically the PS1/PS2 style boys

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sweevo posted:

it's one of those short-lived forgotten shows - like cyberzone or interceptor

You misspelt x-fire

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Mice at school being glued shut to stop people stealing the ball, so the rollers gunked up and became inop anyway

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My abiding memories of Avatar are not noticing it had started and thinking this trailer was weirdly long, and the projection was out of focus or some poo poo so it gave me a stonking all-day headache

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

laserghost posted:

I know this is outside of our reminescences, but wasn't GTAIV release on PC plagued by odd conversion issues?

I don't remember much wrong once you got it started, but if you bought it on Steam you had to sequentially log into Steam, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club to get that poo poo to launch

Pretty sure there was a failure state where the Rockstar login box would appear on top of the GFWL one and soft lock the game before it had begun

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Wild EEPROM posted:

"this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

This error freaked me out as a kid lol

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Progressive JPEG posted:

year numbers as software release versions

back when software had releases that is

The CAD software we use at work switched to this. For a couple years they used 'notable' dates in the history of the software/company, but it turns out there aren't many of those so now it's just the YYMM of release

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I bought a boxed retail copy of Vista home, I'm pretty sure I still have the disc somewhere

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

remember the *other* diablo 3, hellgate london

Oh man I got into the beta of this, played it once then uninstalled it again and never looked back

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

gently caress this unlocked a forgotten memory, I had an Archos video player thingy whose battery lasted ~90% of an average movie length from new

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It came with this crazy elaborate case that had a couple of TV antennae built in(?!) that I never got to work

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Having to put an office CD in to view the clipart gallery because I guess we couldn't spare the hard drive space to install megs upon megs of low res images

Also: MSN Explorer. 11 year old me used that garbage for ages just because it matched the og Windows XP aesthetic so well

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think the Steam version is fixed, but disc copies of GT Legends had starforce copy-protection that doesn't work on anything past XP or something and has to be cracked

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

powerline ethernet

I'm still rocking this because I cba to string cat6 up the stairs and my landlord won't take kindly to me opening the walls to run conduit. It actually works alarmingly well for my modest needs

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
You joke but I keep the recline of my chair unlocked so I can rock back and forth all day, it soothes the wigglebrains and gives my abs something to do

The day my chair develops a squeak a co-worker will probably stab me in the neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

pseudorandom name posted:

lmao the Psion Organizer had UV erasable EPROMs for durable storage

My dad had one of these, child me made him laugh by saying the brand something like "piss-iron"