Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
those look baller but personally i almost never listen to music on the go so the idea of high res audio players is just wasted on me

one exception is in the before times if i were working in a coffee shop sometimes i’d put in my fancy earplugs and then put on my headphones with the volume turned up a bit to drown out when other customers got super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i got a bunch of free poo poo from them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Farmville, and the apparent vice like grip it supposedly held people in

i introduced the people at my office to peggle and there was at least one solid day where everyone basically peggled all day in silence and concentration

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

iSketch

some of the most fun ive had on a computer

oh god this was a blast

we had a zoom hangout for a friends birthday earlier this year and he requested we do one of these clones with his friends from back home and it was just an excellent time

about 3/4s through i was getting some poo poo because i would take half the time to draw the most inconsequential aspect of my keyword and then rapidly fill in the rest in broad strokes for people to ring in lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

one funny thing about the steak is how everyone mocked it when it came out because a 5" screen was ludicrously huge for a phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

was it canceled because of the exploding batteries? like how does your product recover from worldwide YOU CANT HAVE THIS ON AN AIRPLANE

they just rolled it into the main phone line. you can buy a model of the s21 that supports their s pen now so why bother making a whole separate line

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Some tech director for Google or Motorola or something trying to get people to publicly describe Android and iPhones circa like 2009 as Superphones to differentiate them from smart phones, because they were such a leap again from what smart phones were from ye olde cellphonees of yore

nvidia tried very hard to make this stick when tegra was first a thing and their pr people would get upset when i mocked them for it at every opportunity when we talked

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

they were known as phablets then right

it kinda predated the ‘everyone is on their phone 90% of the day’ cultural shift tho

yea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

which bad ipad competitor had the most laffs

the playbook, which you couldn’t use without a blackberry linked up
the touchpad, which was actually good except for the part about hp and leo
the original samsung tab 7, which cost as much as an ipad, and also when they used “units shipped” as a metric showing that it was extremely popular
the dell steak for reasons above
the hp tablet that ran full windows 7 and had a ctrl alt delete button

the playbook worked fine without a blackberry, though you didn't get messenger without one, i don't think. i got a free one and and used it for media because the speakers were good. this was also, for the time, a plus about the touchpad. i feel like the steak was also thick, but maybe i've been apple poisoned all phones were thicccc at the time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah tbh i browsed the web pretty well and hilariously actually did flash decently especially considering it was a tablet. but flash was terrible and they clearly spent a bunch of money doing it as the anti apple and it was just such a dumb movt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh yeah i forgot about the email since i never hooked up exchange to it and just use web stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so many dumb moves. it really could have been fine imo because as mentioned the hardware was totally ok for the time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

meat sweats posted:

There was absolutely no use case for a tablet that only ran non-existent Blackberry apps and had a significant chance of become permadead if you forgot to plug it in for a weekend, when it cost exactly as much as the equivalently specced iPad or Samsung. If you bought one for $50 after it was shitcanned then sure.

"Technically it was a functional electronic device some of the time" yeah ok

you’re really misreading my point here which was that compared to a lot of devices at the time the hardware was great. the software sucked which is why it was a failure. normally non ipads had lovely hardware and lovely software both.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

is that not still the case?

depends, really. i have an 8-inch samsung tablet i really like because it has an oled screen which makes it the best for reading in bed at night. i wouldn't necessarily want to use it for much else, though, so i'd argue it has good hardware and mediocre software.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flip video

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

this thing was an awesome design and I will brook no dissent

seems like another example of the overwhelming burden that is the hegemony of the right hand

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

iphone 5c

beautifully....plastic

i super liked the look of those tbqh

also no antenna grip issues :v

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

omg they made 63 before that?

unpopular opinion but star fox 37 reigns supreme in my mind. sure the graphics aren’t quite as good but the depth of the story is wild.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

please. anything after 14 is pleb-tier casual garbage. i bet you play “games” on your ipad too. :rolleyes:

3 - 22 were literally just rehashes with new sprites, nostalgia brain is real

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

sounds sinister to me

boo

speaking of funy tech poo poo i am displeased that the forums will no longer resolve on the hp touchpad!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

wait, is that an espn 2 branded phone???

no just espn, if you're referring to the button it's just the espn e

they actually ran an espn mvno on sprint for like a year

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Laslow posted:

all of the people and work involved spinning up a vanity mvno and then all that again to shut it down/shift accounts to whoever all because some exec forget to take their ativan before lunch to take the edge off their mid-morning adderall/frappucino a year and a half ago.

i know, it's wacky. mvnos in general are pretty wild in terms of the weird poo poo that pops up from time to time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nintendogs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

which is why Microsoft announced a huge expansion in underwater data centers

deep learning is a big investment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i just remembered this prestigious UX university

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hed posted:

Rambus RDRAM. Man intel had some great hardware bets in early 2000 between Itanium, Rambus, and Netburst.

love all their projected marketing charts too. why yes itanium surely will take over

also lol intel is shipping it until june. hp took orders until dec 31st of last year.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

dot matrix printers

~broderbund print shop pro~

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

drat, a+ nostalgia.

i feel like KIDS THESE DAYS don’t get the joy of making dumb banners since fox matrix printers could just keep everything connected

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think you mean

i DO in fact thanks for the correction jim

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

drat used to love making up music in my head to the beat of the dot matrix printer at work

i like to harmonize with the blender because it makes very steady tones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wep cracking was so handy for when you moved and your new connection wouldn’t be set up for a week

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Also just finding out debian was a cobination of "deb" and "ian"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hdr is cool and good though and will ultimately just spread to all tvs regardless of price i expect

although the infinite contrasts of o/microled is more immediately worthwhile imo

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh and having multiple incompatible versions of each of them whenever an encoding is involved, further reducing addressable market

lol this will never stop tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

the amazing article written by nilay's wife, just tearing into him for buying a curved tv

phenomenal reporting imo

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

and as such it has a short “e” sound

never

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i used to get mildly excited for anything new in re phones before i realized basically everything else was terrible-r than what i already had

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

doublespace
windows media center
that thing in windows media player where you had a bunch of licenses to janitor with your music collection

media center was great and way ahead of its time

also fun to think of how it’s basically the inspiration for the entire future microsoft design language from zune through winpho and windows 8 up to now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

they remind me of the cab drivers that have to stay on the phone with their wives all day to keep convincing them that they're not out cheating on them lol

lmao what

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

im using two of those 2001FPs right now

good-rear end tech poo poo i just remembered: the sony CPD-G400. 19", 1600x1200, 85Hz. i was king poo poo when i had two of these in high school. still the nicest monitors ive ever owned.

if i could find a gdm-fw900 for not a million dollars i’d go pick it up right now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i loved lightscribe

anyone i burned cds/dvds for thought it was cool as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

I always forget that there are other forums here