Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

carry on then posted:

safari for windows, which included porting most of cocoa including the text rendering engine from os x to windows

i guess nobody used it but i'm still disappointed they dropped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

business card CDs

showstoppers events have good food

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's what happens when your turn your monitor off

it would be cool to grow some bad-assed horns

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why would you want pissed horns??

idgi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

the guy who got the blackberry storm tattoo

the guy who got the zune tattoos

and then didnt he get mad about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

polyester concept posted:

and if the antenna was more concealed, this would fukken own

wish my car deck was this cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

this is ridiculous, i love it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

polyester concept posted:

i grew up in northern canada and the only stations we got were strictly local, i imagine in the 70s and 80s you couldn't tune to a dead channel in those countries

yeah. thinking about this always reminds me how cincinnati’s wlw transmitted at up to 500kW in the 30s, and was able to compete with national radio networks as a result, with just their single station. caused a lot of interference in toronto.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

WLW was amazing. they basically just kept saying "haha we're gonna install a bigger transmitter" over and over and FCC was like "as long as it's grounded and you're being safe that's ok sweetie" until every piece of metal in a 20 mile radius would receive their transmissions

they had a cooling pond

iirc texas could easily receive their broadcasts even during the day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the class a clear channels turn up to like 100kW at night from 50 during the day.

500kW just all the time seems like a lot

yea they were the only station ever licensed to go that high and it was eventually revoked outside of experiments

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

All the time. They actually just installed a voice repeater this year so there's a 50 watt voice fireball repeater that covers like a quarter of the US for 10 minutes at a time.

They do one way slow scan TV events too, just this last weekend they had one.

they run a digital APRS station too so you can send a little "hi everybody!" data packet up there and it'll pop up on like 100 different radios. basically the Yo of radio

this is cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

/msg Xx-W4r3zB0T_420-xX xdcc send #69

ah, memories

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that’s awesome. my favourite drm was always the version of carmen sandiego that came with a copy of the world almanac and made you enter the heading on the top of a random page demanded by the game

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we were able to get more than a couple of channels once digital satellites took off in the 2000s. we lived too far out to get cable unless the cable company said we paid for at least a full mile of cable and installation all on our own

i remember being mildly jealous as a kid about nickelodeon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my road was at least tar, which suuuuuucked in the summer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

how hard is it these days to broadcast OTA TV yourself? I have to imagine that high end SDR’s have the capability?

I do miss the days when it was possible for someone to just hijack the airwaves and broadcast weird poo poo

https://www.hackster.io/news/broadcast-your-favorite-tv-show-24-7-with-a-raspberry-pi-4ec9c7f8fe8e

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly LTE only wouldn't kill me for a couple months a year. Keep a NAS up there loaded the gently caress up with a ton of movies and shows, convince my boss that video-off Zooms are more ecologically friendly, spend a lot of time on the ham rigs chatting with locals. Could be a cool decompression summer routine.

you might be able to score an unlimited connection. i used to abuse the gently caress out of my work VZW account, pulling down like 500 gigs a month and this was almost ten years ago

also wonder if it's close enough to somewhere to set up a point-to-point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i managed to find some unlimited dial up isp as a kid that my mom had to pay with a checking account and i’d need to manually type in connection strings every time i logged on

iirc it was called “your voice village”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if i could get one of those 1080 HD CRT tvs for watching videos on i probably would, would be great out in the shop

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

i don't think any consumer crts actually had the dot pitch to fully resolve a 1080 signal. those "super fine pitch" sony models from the mid-00s came the closest with ~1400 horizontal lines, but that's it

crts have been out of the mainstream for long enough now that people forget just how huge and heavy they were, not to mention that larger ones in particular had a lot of image problems: convergence, geometry, overscan, etc... plus, anything you find now would be 15+ years old and basically on borrowed time. oh, and when that 200lb+ hunk of glass does die, the number of places that actually take crts for disposal is approaching zero, so the only way to get rid of it is to have a friend help you toss it into some random dumpster in the middle of the night

surprisingly, smaller crts actually seem to be worth more than the large ones as retro gamers can still play things authentically and don't have to worry about someone getting seriously injured or dying if you need to move it

specifically the last gen were widescreen 1080i, which is what i meant.

i haven’t forgotten all the downsides, i just think they were still good at watching video on and playing some games. i enjoyed them.

here at least while you have to dispose of it yourself, it’s free to drop off at the ewaste recyclers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

check your local Craigslist for “Trinitron”

you’ll find a few for cheap or free in any large metro today because everyone is upgrading and they cost money to recycle

and they’re also like 150lbs lol

nope

i check periodically and assholes want like $200 for people to have the privilege of coming and getting them (plus here as ive said recycling them is free)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

and they're some of the hardest things to repair too. a VCR or cassette deck may need a belt kit. stereo might need an electrolytic cap job. CRT? enjoy seeing your life flash before your eyes as you do a high voltage filter cap replacement and attempt to replace a whining flyback transformer.

I will gently caress with a battery bank that can burst discharge 1,000 amps at 12v, i'll run coax cables with hundreds of watts of RF across a bench next to a cup of coffee, but I will never open a CRT that has been powered on in the past year.

pretty much same

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

come to think of it, when my friend's uncle died last year, he had one of those huge 40" XBR tubes as well as a CRT rear projection and they had to pay someone to haul them away because nobody would take them for free

e: if you want people who are really delusional about the value of old tvs, a few years ago there were people asking four figgies for early generation edtv plasma displays that doubled as space heaters because "it cost $10k new"

i have one of those edtvs. honestly it’s surprisingly not bad for watching anything 720p and below, playing ps4 on, etc. also have the commodore hooked up to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I'm reading this as "I once accidentally hurt a CRT TV set and all of the other televisions in the back hissed at me" and I much prefer this version.

🎵i. hurt my set…today🎶

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yes shockingly people younger than boomers like transphobic and homophobic "jokes" and libertarian bullshit. see: tech, anyone who likes dave chappelles recent special

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

does it have a quadrophonic 8-track player with a copy of Quadrophenia permanently inserted?

because every quadraphonic receiver I’ve ever seen has had that too

in some parallel reality the internet is much worse and we all carry little bags of high res audio cartridges and i want to live there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what’s wrong with the left channel, is it just softer for unknown reasons?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of repair chat every few months here they run a repair café (i think this is a trend) where nerds go to a room and sit behind tables and the public comes in with busted poo poo to get fixed at low/no cost, depending

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah they focus on like, not ipads and stuff for obvious reasons but they also offer advice for those

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s a movement! sort of. y’all should try starting one near you.

https://www.repaircafe.org/en/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

The "bwampf" that happened when you hit the degauss button on the monitor, despite not knowing what it actually DID beyond a delightful noise and image

nothing has ever been as satisfying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

the engineering students on my campus do this and it rules. they just set up a tent in the common area and all the old people in the neighborhoods surrounding it haul in bigass fans and rice cookers and it's a big 'ol party

boss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

it was originally the complete jewish bible webring

oh man webrings

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i have a webring-like project on the backburner, maybe someday it will see the light of day

just make an index and go straight gopher

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

when i was in college our bio research labs all still had zip drives attached even though they’d already stopped being used lol. i think that’s the only time i ever saw them in the wilds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i bought my first flash drive to use as storage for sem pics for my sem class

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

multipart zip archives and lots of disks are what you want

ah memories of irc warez

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol remember when cd writes would fail if you breathed around the drive

speaking of burning discs i loving loved lightscribe. everyone i gave one of the discs to thought it was like insanely awesome lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

no need to sign your posts around here

hey aren’t u the usb shafts guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

one of the carmen sandiego games came with a copy of the world almanac and the copy protection was you had to enter the page headings from a random page it picked in order to play the game