Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pictures of people scanning CueCat codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

remember when google used to return what you actually searched for instead of converting every word to the closest SEO-bait synonym and then returning 200 aliexpress links so you can buy a fake version of the thing you didn't actually search for?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

just loled thinking about "audio CD-Rs". they actually were different somehow

They were normal CD-Rs that failed the quality control for data.

Why throw away a bad batch when you can mark them as "For Audio Only" and sell them for the same price as good discs.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

SD vs MMC

MemoryStick vs MemoryStick Pro vs MemoryStick Duo vs MemoryStick Pro Duo vs MemoryStick vs Capcom EX Plus Alpha 2

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You forgot MemoryStick MagicGate!

is that the DRM thing? because sony cannot release anything without DRM bullshit

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Zlodo posted:

my guess is that they had lots of customers with lovely old computers and didn't want to have to refund games all the time when people found out they couldn't use them

they were probably still selling CD-only computers.

in 2004 you could walk into a supermarket and come out with a pentium 3 celeron with 128mb and one of those gimped no-name motherboards with half the connectors not installed. wouldn't surprise me if they had a CD-R drive too

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 19, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

FILE_ID.DIZ

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

people trying and failing to make that kibibyte/mebibyte/gibibyte poo poo catch on

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

remember when lcd manufacturers tried to make up an official standard for how many dead pixels were allowed on a screen without it being considered faulty

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

lmao at cornish pretending its important enough to get an actual leaf

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

if you understand how it works then its not AI

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ftp sites that would make you click 300 ads deep to retrieve some arcane word in the 3rd paragraph of the final ad to use as a password to get access to the site

and then the password didn't work because the web of nested angelfire/geocities sites everything was spread across had changed six times since the instructions were written

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

this site uses frames and so is best viewed in internet explorer 2

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

around 1998/99 there was a kid who had every single nes/snes/master system/megadrive/n64 rom spread out over dozens of free hosting sites, all fully indexed, searchable, and downloadable with one click. then one day it all disappeared and was replaced with his lovely personal homepage - just a small photo of the kid, a list of bands he liked, and an invitation to sign his guestbook.

within 24 hours the guestbook was 200 pages long and every post was an expletive/slur/threat filled all-caps rant about WHERE ARE THE loving ROMS YOU LITTLE F*G? PUT THE loving ROMS BACK YOU PATHETIC LITTLE gently caress OR I'M GOING TO FIND YOU AND CUT YOU. I AM MAFIA SO BELIEVE ME I WILL DO IT!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

3D Megadoodoo posted:

so did he put the roms back or did the mafia cut him :ohdear:

he probably works for an insurance company or something

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

time to go phishing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

takes a lot of school to do this

shoal us how it's done

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

today i found out you can still close a window by double clicking the top left corner even though the icon isn't there any more

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

kitten smoothie posted:

remembering now how I bought a CD drive in 1994 from the microcenter mail-in catalog and it came with a CD that had "1000 applications" on it

it had 1000 zip files of the weirdest 1992-1993 shareware poo poo downloaded from BBS's, and they fluffed up the count by including like six different versions of pkunzip

magazine cover cd-roms where they were determined to fill all 650mb, so they had 15 different genealogy database programs, 30mb of usenet posts, and siterips of weird pre-dotcom websites

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"destroy" means you shouted a lot and then claimed you won

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

two and a half is also how many views it will get

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

when MSN was 'The Microsoft Network' and it was a sort of curated not-quite-the-web thing that you accessed via windows explorer.

MS memory-holed it within like a year and pretended MSN was just a website

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"i don't like the version of termcap you used, so i'm gonna make my own distro"

repeat x10,000

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

eschaton posted:

20mA current loop

even as late as the VT240 people still used that poo poo

still used in weird industrial niches

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

seeing 1600x1200 in the monitor preferences and wondering what kind of king or millionaire could ever own such a luxury

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

referring to bytes as "octets"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

why can't i buy a 30" 2560x1920 4:3 drat it!?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the pixel clock on the video card.

refresh freq = pixel clock / pixels per line / number of lines

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

hell, that entire last year or so of windows xp's life where people were cramming in features from actual modern operating systems with stuff like yahoo widgets, windows desktop search, google desktop, etc.

when XP support finally ended there was a guy in shsc who was absolutely convinced you could carry on getting new updates by paying MS about $100/yr - not understanding that it only applied if you were the size of IBM or a national government and paid $100 per machine (minimum 10,000 machines, price will double every year, etc...)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Crazy Achmed posted:

checking to see if the thing you are wanting to buy uses sd, mmc, xd, cf, sony memory stick, memory stick select, memory stick pro, memory stick duo, memory stick pro duo, memory stick pro-hg duo, memory stick micro, memory stick xc, memory stick pro-hg duo, memory stick ex plus alpha 2 vs capcom

ftfy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

and then after all the memory stick formats failed completely, in 2012 when microsd was already the clear winner, sony chose for the ps vita...

a completely proprietary memory card not used by anything before or since

out loving standing

sony will flat out not release something unless it's drm-riddled proprietary dogshit.

sony backing bluray is why sane money was on hddvd

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

statpedia is a roaring success, it's getting nearly four new statistics added per month!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Volmarias posted:

What is this

quote:

We understand this is something that has never been done but in 1492 Christopher Columbus went out into the sea and everybody told him he was going to fall off the end of the world but with his risk and passion we now know the earth is round and without his will and guts we would not be where we are today. The point i am trying to make nothing is risk free 16 years ago there was no internet but one man changed that. HEDY LAMARR was a actresses in the 1930's she came up with guided torpedoes for world war 2 she called and called the US army, government but no one listened because she was beauty and she was a actresses. My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930's are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 22, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

ok i thought people might have remembered this one.

several years ago a guy tried to get his game idea kickstarted. the game was called 'Lore' and it was the usual amateurish "I am making the greatest game ever, it will be a mix of <list every then-popular AAA game>, blah blah blah" from someone who couldn't complete a Game Maker tutorial. kickstarter/indiegogo is full of that stuff, but this one was so bad it got picked up and reported in the mainstream press.

so the guy starts posting his concept art and people figure out that it's all plagiarised - his signature enemy the 'manandtaur' is a stolen minotaur image with the forehead replaced with a screaming face lifted from some old game box art, his random mishmash of assets and models are all from free 3D modelling websites or are tutorial projects that come with 3d modelling software. he has a giant ego, can't understand copyright, can barely string a sentence together, doubles down on lying about where he got the images, etc. eventually he is told to draw something himself and post it and he posts Matador Skeletor and half a Manandtaur (because drawing is hard and he thinks he can mirror it to make the finished version). people laugh at him and he claims the images are fine and only look dumb because his scanner broke and the camera loses all the fine details.

then as with all these things people start touching the poop and going through his facebook account and stirring up poo poo everywhere and he has a meltdown and disappears.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 22, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Progressive JPEG posted:

handheld document scanners, where if you wanted to scan a page you had to do multiple swipes perfectly? never tried one but remember seeing them in catalogs

must not have worked very well because i can't find any pictures of one. supposed to be like the shape of a barcode scanner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulccjXS0wPk

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Raluek posted:

the "creative commons license" guy

that was Logansryche (the bitcoin cinema guy), this guy just though everything on the internet was free for him to use

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

people who say warez like Juarez

those people now say gif as "jif"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

eschaton posted:

Madonna: “What the gently caress do you think you’re doing?”

people said that to anyone listening to post ~1990 madonna songs anyway