Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

good god you all are old

it beats the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i started out on the c64 version, which was nowhere as good looking as the apple ii release.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it was!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

Anybody remember the shitshow that was DVD+R vs DVD-R vs DVD+/-RW?

yuuuuuup

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

many high school memories of this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/aOzk2RYovVk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psiox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNjoo9TuCHY

it's like the real life version of these dudes

drat that is just crying out to be yellowpos on there

lmao i just watched that last week. i've had the dvd for a million years, it was still sealed from when i got it at best buy or whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yospos poster emeritus sneaking mission came through here

http://keithlynch.net/pics/

i have met this guy in person

whatever impression you get from the website is correct

lomarf

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sweevo posted:

this. lies-by-omission is basically his MO. he claims to have an amazing memory, and yet details suddenly get extremely vague any time he's at fault.

of course this guy had an mit-ai email address in the late 70s. should've asked rms to be his roommate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

does the vaccine affect your ability to play bubsy 3D?

maybe for an hour or two if your upper arm really aches.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

one time, at band camp, i stuck a cell modem in my pussy

booty call?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a classic fax dos was to print out 3-4 completely black pages, tape them end to end in a loop, and call a fax machine owned by someone you didn't like to waste their paper and toner.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cheque_some posted:

Also, IrDA is reminding me of AlphaSmart. Anyone else have these things in school? They were basically portable keyboards with a three line LCD you could use to type up your paper. Then you could hook it up to a computer and it emulated a keyboard and would "type" in what you wrote to a ClarisWorks doc or other word processor so you could transfer it for printing or whatever. Basically a way to let more kids in the class be able to type up their papers without needing more computers. The AlphaSmart 2000 (this was when you would add "2000" to the end of things to show that they were advanced) added IrDA as a transfer option, although I never managed to get it to work

we had them, no irda so it was the serial cable for us.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

i used mulatto butts from archer as a ringtone for a long time. i converted it myself, and previous poster was correct it is as simple as renaming an .m4a to .m4r and popping it into itunes.

i used this for my text tone when my friend texted me for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhNDtSqPRA&t=31s

the whole thing? or just a couple of lines?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i think the gimmick was it came with a 24/7 concierge service but, like, you had to buy the ugly phone to use it so that specific kind of user must have been amazing to get calls from

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

I use the mgs codec ringtone, mostly because it sounds normal enough but also makes people freeze with a "wait, i know this, but where from" expression on their face

same

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

dell gave him another ad in 2021. i hope he was well paid

https://twitter.com/delltech/status/1460707744323932160?s=21

:unsmith:

psiox posted:

oh my god, i forgot that campaign entirely

"it was a really good paper"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GxC4kKD9qA

somehow she had a saclopedia entry.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

Product RED, the brand that doesn't have anything to do with charity, returns again on your iphone se

they will never live down cyberpunk 2077 yes i know that was cdpr

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there's a reason macs of that era had a reputation as machines for creatives and education.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

can’t imagine being at the same apartment for a quarter century, how much has the rent changed over the years?

ask redman, mtv cribs has visited him twice years apart and it's the same place both times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hmm yes hello I’d like you to use my software that I wrote for testing your serial port and memory it’s called Serial Hardware And Ram Tester I hope it helps

i like how everything in a certain windows directory is called a tool except for the command line interface utility.

i do not like how though, i feel like i need to go on the record with that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

bastard operator from hell

lmao i still have the first book of that poo poo somewhere on my shelf from a gag gift years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

huh where'd they go?

hasn't posted in a couple of weeks, hopefully he's camping or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

in the 90s tv news shows would do stories about computers and the internet and the CRTs had some kind of interference with the tv cameras, causing rolling bars to appear on the screens. a more civilized age. the timestamp shows what i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TQ75dRalE&t=53s

refresh rate of the crt and frame rate of the camera; if the refresh rate isn't an exact multiple of the frame rate you get the bars. there's a reason every tv show and movie went to lcds as soon as they were available.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll do you one better, one time at the comp shop i ordered some 500gb WD platters and they came in and had 808.8 GB labels on them. sure enough they formatted to exactly that. WD took some 1T's and bios hacked them to be that size to celebrate chinese new year one year.

that's fun

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I desperately need more info on this one

you were around to see it live: https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Wait is this somehow different from the goon who carried a printer to a girls place and set up a meterpreter listener or some poo poo to access the webcam later and got busted because of the webcam access light? I don’t have time to look up the full thing now. It was Granos, right?

that was different.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

borky was the printer carrier:

Borky posted:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

granos was the mega creep, see his saclopedia article

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bogomips

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Why would I clean their computer after ransacking it? You gotta think before you ask this stuff

get rid of the fingerprints. amateur hour over here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

progressive jpeg loading

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

some web devs want to intercept all keyboard events. i know of at least one guy who wanted to intercept pressing escape so he could finish his web-based emacs clone

gently caress that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

he’s actually an epubifile it’s a subtle difference

holy poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i have an old 7" lathe handwheel i found in the metal scrap bin that i keep meaning to mount on bearings and an encoder as a usb peripheral. it wouldn't be a hard project but i can't really figure out what i'd do with it.

scrollwheel

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

at work our default is first initial last name. i felt so bad when margot adcock joined and got stuck with madcock@work.com

i hope her directory picture is a rooster.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Seems like a bad idea to use a recruiter most men can't find

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the only reason that phone was even cool was the sound design in the movie. they made it sound like a bolt racking in a gun and obviously there is no way the actual *plastic* phone designed for meemaw to call the grandkids actually sounded like that.

yep, wasn't even spring loaded on the actual handset in the movie (they modified that 8110) but the not quite lookalike 7110 that was sold in the us had a spring.

the 8110 was rereleased a few years ago in the uk and thailand as a kai os 4g smartphone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

aliens dont gotta know that poo poo

like they didn't already have it mapped out; they'd been abducting cows and people for decades before we launched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

dns key party

pgp key parties too