Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Midjack posted:

progressive jpeg loading

this stuff is back though. we were looking at pictures shared from a phone on a 4k tv over chromecast and while it was not double digit seconds, the effect was noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

accuweather used to do this bullshit where they loaded real data behind a css blur with an artificial load time. it was clear enough that you could make out the text and verify it was the real data once the "loading" completed, but they'd keep it blurred for a second and a half or two seconds.

now they have the text completely obscured for the duration of the "loading". somehow it's less annoying than the blur, despite the fact i know either way they're artificially hiding it from be.

its insane, the “data” itself is less than a kb probably. the current temperature and some other stats. even a basic plot data should be really small.
i wonder where’s the bottleneck? do they have a really slow api?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

going to start muttering "mcdonalds" under my breath while waiting for the weather to load

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

websites that do some instant redirect fuckery so you have to be really fast on the back button, and also sites that totally wipe out history somehow

well back to funny stuff, anyone remember the web before browsers had tabs?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

academia is giga turbo hosed. you need to publish or get fired and you need grants or you get fired. you have to spend 80% of your time chasing grants which means you have nothing to write about unless you use your grants to hire an RA to do your academic studies for you. they are trying to get your job unless your job is terrible and they are the ones doing your job. you have to pay journals to publish in in them, not the other way around. you have to pay to present your work at conferences, not the other way around. to win a grant you need to demonstrate to the board that you don't need the money because if you're dependent on getting the grant that means the project is too risky. to get published you need to demonstrate that your work is not too different to anyone else and not too useful for too many different folks, it has to be the very next tiny step forward, and it has to be a positive result, no-one is interested in publishing negative results. if you were to cynically design a system to utterly paralyse the most dedicated, passionate and learned thinkers on any subject, i don't think you could do a much better job.

i thought you had it made with the groundbreaking discovery of how a nuclear reactor can just be a web page.
there’s got to be at least 4 articles on the subject that you can write with your 3 co-authors

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Armauk posted:

I've never understood people's desire to work in academia when there are many this hoops to jump through. Is a tenured position *that* good?

there are parts in this very good talk that answer your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zDuOPkMSw

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

he’s actually an epubifile it’s a subtle difference

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ok here's some real funy stuff i remembered today https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Dragon_Code

not really tech but it seemed to be common in parts of the internet way back, just like posting cpu specs in your sig

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

so just a weird version of geek code?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_Code

yeah i guess. both of these are weird though
i think i saw dragon code in the wild around 00-05

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

its called python because it bites you in the rear end

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

alterslash.org makes slashdot a bit better

does it also remove all the fash and pedo apologia tagged as +5 insightful in the comments?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Seems like a bad idea to use a recruiter most men can't find

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sweevo posted:

extremely stupid racist

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Hed posted:

kind of miss these stupid crowded interfaces with colorful icons, panes and search bars everywhere. just like look at all that stuff I could potentially click on!

often on a 1024x768 screen resolution too

sometimes i boot up my old 2009 laptop to do something on it and the usable space on the interfaces is so small. especially if you are using anything modern that kind of expects a retina resolution because the guis are still busy af and all the context hints in a 2022 ide are so much richer than it used to be 10y ago

makes me wonder how did i ever do things back then

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my streaming laptop is a 13 yo mbp with a gopro and a 20 bucks hdmi usb capture dongle. i am doing only 360p or something like that, but surely a reasonably modern laptop can hack it unless it really must be 4k at 60fps

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i had a german version of megarace 2

the levels were really beautifully designed

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

The_Franz posted:

otoh, european cell providers still charge you if the person you are calling or sending a text to is 10m away but over a border that's only marked today by a change in the language of the graffiti on the buildings, as 'roam like at home' only applies when you aren't in your home country, which is why everyone has whatsapp/viber/signal

not really anymore. since 3 years ago i have used my plan from a telco in country A and lived in country B and basically spent 99% of my time roaming. the only time my monthly bill was something else than the regular 18€ was after going to switzerland, because i had to buy a week of data pass, since that country is not in the eu so they do not extend eu roaming plans there (some telcos do, though)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

taking the ball out of the mouse and cleaning the horrible ring of gunk off of the two little plastic rollers inside

guess what my trackball mouse in tyool 2023 gets gunky over the course of 2-3 days. its easy to degunk though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there was also pidgin on linux for which the facebook integration somehow seemed to work even after fb cut the xmpp support

i have found my solution to this problem: talk less to people over instant messaging :(

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my living room set up is a pair of presonus eris powered monitors, a motu track16, a behringer uca hooked up to a raspi by usb and to the motu by optical. there is also a teac turntable feeding the motu. it has one big volume knob, some meters and thats it really. worksforme

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

forgot to mention that the raspi is running a thing which makes it an airplay receiver too

i might get a receiver just for the purpose of
being able to play/rip the cassette tapes that i have lying around for some reason

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the bigger problem is where to find a tape deck that is in working order. i have a old 90s walkman style tape deck but that needs repairs and idk if this is possible for a hobbiest

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

maps.me is a nice app that lets you download maps of whole countries ahead of time and it even has businesses and routing on roads/pubtrans

also good on trips to other countries without having to pay for a data plan

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

oh man, i used to love playing this on emulator back in the day. stompy robots, cool music, and getting to kick your opponent while they're on the ground. yeah the cpu is an rear end in a top hat sometimes but it's a fighting game so par the course

one must fall 2097

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cory & trevor doctorow

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

ads with an aol keyword next to the dot com

maybe not so funny since these days are coming back baybee unless google gets their poo poo together

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cant believe we had cow chat and nobody remembers the tucows download site

i got my first wysiwyg html editor from there. it was HomeSite and it took me a night to dialup the 5 mb thing using getright download manager

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

what the hell, what kind of suck rear end connection were you on?

even with a 28.8 modem it should take under an hour

hell, even 14.4 would do it

i didnt actually stay up and watch the progress bar so it might have been quicker actually

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Why would a buffer underrun kill the whole CD anyway? What is it about CDs that means you can't make a drive that can track the last written position and pick up from there?

i read this in philomena cunk voice hth

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i remember installing diablo ii on a cd rom that was not the correct speed and dumping cds in the freezer when the install stalled and asked for the cd

i managed to install in the end but that was a pentium 166mhz so no way it would run whoops

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

this but it messed up a lot in my library so ymmv
i probably should not have tried to auto identify nameless tracks though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i dont like it how behringer copies other manufacturers gear, particularly models which are still in new and in production

i dont blame any musician for buying it if they dont have cash for the real things though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i would wear a t shirt with “i will fix your computer” in big large friendly letters on it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

cranking the fan dial up to prepare to get max FPS :c00l:

I had one of these as well and the knobs on it stopped the case door from closing properly until i took the plastic cap off it.

was it Q Sound where some guy claimed to have a magic way of doing surround sound from two speakers and it was putting microphones in a skull and recording adjustment curves based on that or something?

literally "but you only have two ears!"

sounds like binaural stuff except this only works on headphones and iirc you need a special head dummy microphone system to record it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i am just going to sit here and wait until having a working 2009 mbp qualifies as retrocomputing

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the most recent macos version it supports is many years eol already if that counts

i could go for a hackintosh and install a current macos i guess

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if antiques roadshow has taught me anything, it is that nostalgia value dies off with old people. a fancy piece of jewelry might be timeless, but the value of your big boy sign or whatever thing you are hoarding crateredwhen the last person who ate at a big boy died.

we might wait a while for that last thing

https://maps.app.goo.gl/PsgEqikNxtf3E1bVA?g_st=ic

i do totally agree that “retro” seems to be just what a rich cohort of generally old white guys like. its like that also in music synth world - its often important to get a big old analog tube hardware thing or a remake of one, instead of getting one of the million free vsts to achieve the same sound. ie the “retro” crowd is sometimes more interested in having a status symbol instead of an actual instrument

which is fine by me, I’ll buy it off you barely used once you find a new shiny :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hold up, there is a starcraft 2?!!?!,