Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm messing around with KiwiX on my tablet cus I'm bored, and suddenly flashed to the idea that I'm basically just re-doing encarta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The_Franz posted:

at least now they can close the doors to keep the inmates inside since stallman isn't there anymore

IDK at least some of them know how to pick locks and escape through the steam tunnels.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

my personal shame is that i just don't "get" virtual desktops and have never used them in any sort of effective manner in my workflow.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

apparently there's a whole wiki about the eas and ebs and i'm rather addicted for no reason:

https://emergencyalertsystem.fandom.com/wiki/Screens_of_the_EAS#Station_slide_(1997-present)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

is there a yospos bbs? seems like a project that would have minor interest for a few months until we all get bored and get really into emulating transistor radios or everyone gets their ham license or whatever.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Midjack posted:

there's a yosbbs thread for the one jony put up a while back.

serves me right for never leaving my bookmarks, then. thanks. :tipshat:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. most handheld ham rigs have a combo 2.5mm and 3.5mm speaker mic plug/socket setup

it will of course surprise nobody that there is no standard for which one is speaker/headphones, which one is mic, and what the conductors on each do

Also Baofeng does everything through that port, breaking it out into a serial-to-usb adaptor cable because loving fengs, man.

(Yaesu Creu 4 lyfe)

My major tech things that I just remembered are:

Back in the early 2000s when it was like, a big deal that fast food places started accepting cards. I wanna say McD's or Wendy's was like the last of those to fall and accept cards and now like lol the only places that don't are the occasional food truck or random taco stand style place in a train station.

Also, joining the 2600 Discord (which is probably an ancient tech thing in and of itself) and they had a loving idlerpg channel, which gave me a vietnam-style flashback to IRC.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

ah k we'll see

Also that version's super easy to softmod.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

i love the idea and nostalgia of cassettes, and i have a couple things that play cassettes. but i do _not_ want to actually have to listen to music on cassettes again. there's a reason the first money i spent on my 89 buick in high school was a cd player

similarly, there's part of me taht wants a minidisk player cus they look so retrofuture, but i know i'm just gonna end up using plexamp on my phone to listen to music anyway so there's no point.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

archivechat not having the greatest archival program ever (stuffit) is negligence on all our parts.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

dunno if it counts as tech stuff but it was part of the weird dotcom era and i just can't stop thinking about kozmo.com.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

another thinkgeek product was bawls, which I think kind of kicked off the "extreme caffeine for extreme online doods" era

also today I learned that thinkgeek.com redirects to gamestop, lol

omg also it was bought by VA Linux first, I forgot about that

and there's an alternate universe where hot topic's bid for thinkgeek won out over gamestop's

bawls is still around, and still extremely tasty.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

it’s important to recognise this behaviour and react with cruel and incessant mockery lest we allow someone like that to write another Ready Player One

there's literally a sequel.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Was it vista that had an official anime mascot in the Asian markets

Are you talking about the OS-tans?

Win11 chat: Win 11 is just Win 10 but the taskbar starts centered, OS X style. I've never run in to anyone who has a real objection to 11, just "thing different therefore bad" chat, but I don't talk about OSes often with randos.

Neito fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 29, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

i've been considering getting one of those modded ipods that has like the 2 tb drive in it for all my flacs and poo poo. do they do that for zunes, too? zune might be cooler.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

corona familiar posted:

the zune hd supported HD Radio which was kinda neat. I think it used the headphone cable as the FM antenna. iirc most? portable devices did it that way

yeah i had this conversation with a friend on another forum. johny290's probably gonna come in and dunk on me for something wrong in this cus i'm not really an "antenna guy" but my understanding is that fm frequencies are low enough that you can't really do a small enough antenna inside the modern compact space of a phone.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Nope thats exactly right. Wavelength is about 3 meters on FM so you want a 1/4 wave antenna for that, which is about the length of a nominal headphone cable.

FM's important enough to me that i have a dedicated HDRadio receiver - the best ever made, Sony XDR-F1HD - depicted here atop my $1100 HT receiver.

I'm ok with hdradio, not because it sounds real good or w/e, but because it allows subcarriers, so you can have some cool talk or indie channels behind the main station

how much is one of those? i'm thinking of making an old-school reciever stack for my bookcase and one would be neat.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

download.com

remember when the most reliable place to download poo poo was a cnet-owned website?

also kazza lite, the one that had the built-in malware. i kinda miss those kinds of file sharing, even if they really sucked. soulseek just isn't the same somehow.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

collegehumordropout has a pretty funny sketch about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0w_pwZY3E&t=44s

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

njsykora posted:

there are racing games you can buy on steam now that people still recommend no-cd cracks for because it restores content cut for licensing reasons. like in gtr2 it brings back the ferrari and lamborghini cars.

gently caress, rockstar got caught including nocd hacks on the games they were releasing on steam.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

the nocd crack for warcraft 2 on classic macos was a disk image with one file on it that it apparently checked for, it was like 200kb

i love going on tcrf and looking up old anti-piracy poo poo like this. my favorites are:

1) a bunch of nintendo fds games had disks that lied about how many files are on them to confuse the disc copy programs
2) games without save memory trying to write to sram and intentionally crashing/doing poo poo if it succeeds
3) the ps1 looked for a very specific out-of-spec wobble on the cds.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

njsykora posted:

i think there's third party apps you can use to set videos as wallpapers on windows too

wallpaper engine is the one that comes to mind instantly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

minidisc. it was v. good

part of me wants to get an md player from ebay or something.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

posting in lowtax threads.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

funny tech poo poo i just remembered: kozmo.com, a website that tried to be doordash/ubereats in like 1999 and folded so hard that they had to sell off all their branded merch to ocean state job lot, a local fire sale store, for pennies on the dollar so i got a colombia bugaboo for like $20 in 1999 dollars.

adjust this story as needed for whenever kozmo.com actually went under.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

ok this is where i reveal that i'm total gamer trash and a consumer whore, but the gamer grub (different brand, same idea) pb & j was delicious, and something i've been chasing for years now that it's out of business.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Google Latitude. I honestly kinda missed it, it was neat to be able to see where your friends were.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

njsykora posted:

if you get into retro computers or consoles with real hardware now you have to be 100% about that life and understand that you're going to be cracking that thing open to keep it running pretty regularly. i have a ps1 i love dearly and i've had to replace the disc mechanism once.

a recurring issue with saturns is that the disc drive is garbage and a lot of people are just replacing them with ODEs that read isos off of microsds, might be something to look into depending on how unadultered you want your retro gaming experience.

the big problem with retrogaming prices is people like james rolffe who want big gently caress-off collections of every $system game ever made, rather than just getting the ones that they wanna play.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm not gonna blame collectors for collecting but I will blame them for Chrono Trigger costing like a quarter grand yeah

i mean part of it is also that square seems alergic to making a decent remake of that game other than the one ds one. wasn't there a steam one that was just a pc port of the android one, touchscreen controls included?

square's super, super dumb about basically anything that's not final fantasy xiv. i remember a (possibly apocryphal, please call me out if i'm being a credulous idiot) story where nintendo was going to bring one of the dq games to america and square was like "if you do we're dropping bravely default this second". i wanna say it was the mid 3ds port of 7?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Sweevo posted:

that's why i like the zx spectrum and amiga - because nobody gives a poo poo about original media, and never did. everything is dumped and available online

the communities around cartridge-based systems are full of people who cry about their "investment" if someone puts a new ROM online

there's a guy who has a rare prototype game (the loving socks the cat whitehouse game, if that sentence makes any sense) who keeps taunting people who want him to dump the rom and i think has a contract if he sells it that you're not allowed to dump it or sell it to anyone else who would dump it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

only nerds care about dumping “ultra rare” games and prototypes. go climb a rock

actually it's bad that pieces of our collective media history are owned by some douchebag who thinks owning the socks the cat game makes him special hth

or is that what you're saying and i'm just dumb and undercaffinated

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

njsykora posted:

i'm not huge into prototypes but some of them can be pretty cool, but then there's people like chris stamper, one of the founders of rare who posted photos of all the cool rare poo poo he has on twitter. don't remember if he stopped after everyone got sick of him basically saying here's a bunch of cool poo poo i have and you never will.

tcrf is a rabbithole of enjoyment for that kinda poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah I was mostly saying it’s weird to get incredibly emotionally invested in a piece of lost media. on both sides of the equation

eh maybe i just watch too many lost media youtube channels and am slowly going insane.

better than slowly going insane for the usual reasons in this hellworld, i suppose.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

clicked to a random place and i guess some of the enemies you fight in this are protesters and journalists? cool

a game about president clinton's cat being secret fash propaganda? next you're going to tell me that clinton himself was just a republican with a (D) after his name.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

funny tech poo poo i just remembered: caring about being on bash.org.

also bash.org.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

also qdb.us when I ran out of bash

they're both offline now. not sure how i feel about that considering how common the n word was on that site.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

bofh chat reminds me of the book of gord or tales of gord or whatever that loving site was, which was basically "what if the worst person in your gaming store owned it and knew html".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

edc poo poo is one of those things that i hate that i like. it's very monkey-crow-lizard-brain ooh that's shiny type poo poo and i fall for it every time. a half hour youtube video about various kinds of hand sanitizer containers? i'll watch, like, and subscribe, thank you for the tasty endorphines.

that said, my "edc" is basically wallet, watch, lighter, phone, and multitool, and usually a backpack with my steam deck, backup battery, kindle, and a flashlight. if i'm going somewhere where people might get hurt i might bring an ifak.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

soulseek still around.

i run a docker container that runs soulseek with WINE and vnc into it. and by god it works lmao

use Nicotine+ it's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

the powerbook duo. that was such a weird era for apple, and "a machine with a dock that sucks up your laptop like a vcr" was such a weird design.