Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got to run some work stuff on a big iron itanium 2 machine right around when those came out. it was actually... really good and really fast.

but I was not paying for it. can't imagine how much the thing cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

was itanium actually any better than x86 (or later x86-64 i guess)?

genuinely curious, i don't think i've ever actually used an itanium box

on the particular problem I was working, which was largely numerical and parallelizable but not trivially parallel, yes. it was significantly faster wall-time to solution than competing x86 resources.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in a well actually posted:

this was one of the few markets Itanium did well. big fuckin matrices where you could pipeline a shitload of fused multiply-add ops per clock and never, ever needed to branch, and could use the ridiculously huge cache, and you could scale them up as wide as your budget allowed for lots of memory bandwidth (512 sockets per OS image in NASA's SGI super, in ~2004)

yup, good old fortran without any conditionals in the speed-sensitive parts of the code

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

got to run my stuff on a blue gene once, i hated the entire OS setup and arch. it sucked and deserved its death despite whatever marketing hype came out of ibm

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

old memory: nibbles away