Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I take my last dial up modem over there and dial in to BBS that are still up. Or at least I did. My parents got rid of their long distance the last time I used it.

Edit: My dad has free POTS dial tone for life at his address as an AT&T retiree. It was in the contract he started under back in... 1970 something.

How does this work with the phone companies ripping out copper lines?

Thread content: the last time I was apartment hunting, I faxed in rental applications using my old USR 56k external connected through a Vonage connection. It took 45 minutes or so per page :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Was Dreamcast late enough in the game that there was no difference in the console hardware for NTSC vs PAL? I would think blasting 50Hz to your TV in 1999 would be questionable.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

scsi scanners

How are you gonna make your scanner play Ode to Joy if you can't set the SCSI ID to 0?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
They finally rezzed aa.usno.navy.mil, now without perl

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

rotor posted:

anyone got a recco for a nice double din car stereo with kind of a 90s aesthetic?

Not double din, but the sheer ballerness should make up for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMuLRgnmmgk

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Those sad bluetooths stereos made before A2DP and aptX made the GTA IV experience possible IRL.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did anyone else follow the EMPEG Mp3 Linux Head Unit at the turn of the millennium, thinking it was going to be The Year of Linux on the DesktopDashboard..? The very essence of a Slashdot-era tech development that died from lots of tech people but no marketers.

I fantasized about replacing my rio volt and tape adapter with one of these

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Hed posted:

bragging about constant angular velocity CD readers.

“52X MAX” was good for shattering the football shaped disc you got at a trade show

the kenwood 72x truex cdrom drive

beam splitting just wasn't ready for prime time, the failure rate was spectacular

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

gabensraum posted:

I had an internal 14.4k modem on a Pentium 75, and when I upgraded to an internal 33.6k card the computer would slow down whenever it connected because it was one of those that used the host cpu (which i didn't understand at the time).

thought i was forever stuck on 14.4 until i got an external 56k and of course had no problems.

I still have an old 56k USR external despite not having POTS service for over a decade. Wishful thinking that it might someday be useful with some dreadfully old and remote something kept it from being pruned.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but check out how fast that old html website renders though. instant.

I'm the guy who's still mad that the library catalog doesn't have the responsiveness that it did when it was through telnet

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m gonna go on record and say that the original Microsoft optical mouse is the greatest mouse ever made.

It's killing me because I can't find a picture of it from the top, but

:colbert:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone else get a flashback to the rat shack catalog from 1995 after reading that?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the reason they continue to be garbage is because everything bluetooth is wrapped up in ridiculous patent nonsense at every turn

luv to put :10bux: in qualcomm's pocket for the dongle to connect my phone to a real stereo

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

and of course someone cloned it

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

my favorite was toast because it made a loud toaster oven "ding!" noise when it finished burning a disc

The DVD Decrypter finish jingle going off loud enough that the neighbors can hear.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Cactus Data Shield

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

also

CD-ROM drives with multiple read heads

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
the mini isos on gamecopyworld that would fool the drm into thinking the disc was inserted

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
CD authoring software that let you arrange the order of files in the filesystem, and also padding with a huze zero file at the beginning to make sure the data was on the outside of the disc.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

i have a copy of the ps1 version, the manual is large but it does support the playstation mouse, consoles in the 90s really loved having a mouse, i think you can use it in the ps1 port of final doom as well as all the point and click adventure games that got ported to the ps1 like myst and the five disc version of riven: the sequel to myst

Why did I doubt that the emulators would support the playstation mouse?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the little fosi audio things and the other little T*xas instruments class d amps are hard to pass up when i see them

Care to name the competition for Fosi? I've been looking for a replacement for my dying receiver, and that poo poo looks extremely needs-suiting

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mini-stereo-amplifier/

this article picks 3 amps that are basically the same Ti DSP chip. i actually think the fosi audio one is a good pick because they haveseveral options with tone control knobs and more tunable things. some of the others are just volume knobs.

if you search amazon for “TPA3116D2” (the actual audio amp chip) there are also diy kit amps and stuff too

Ah. My problem is that I need the optical in and sub pre out, which pretty much limits me to traditional receivers.

This is totally The poo poo though, oh my

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Monkey's Audio

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

the little 2 pin SPDIF header on motherboards. I actually used this back in the day when i set up a lovely "htpc" across the living room from the stereo, and it passed flawless surround sound with no fiddling. i was amazed

e: run was about 35 feet of cat5 that i just soldered RCA plugs on to lol

There were a few optical drives that had a 2 pin digital out from the drive itself

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The pre-emphasis flag in red book audio

doblys in my discman!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

i had a licensed copy of nero 6 and to this day i have no idea where it came from

it was a pack in with retail burners for a hot second, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
crossquotin' from PYF

The Wurst Poster posted:

I attempted to make dialup suck a little less with some ppp multilink. I remember in the bad old days if you couldn't afford or get access to ISDN your only option for more that 56k was to get two modems, two phone lines and two dialup accounts for more speed. Fortunately the retro collectors haven't got into telephony yet so for cheap I got 16 56k modems dialing into a voice gateway that binds the POTS lines onto a T1 for the ultimate in dialup speed.

The other end is a Cisco 2811 with a digital modem bank.

The old v.92 bongs in unison.
https://i.imgur.com/yzdmdgD.mp4

Even at 815kbps the modern internet still sucks. I could double the link speed by just using the T1 but there is no stupid fun in that.