Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
felt like it was always the math teachers that were most enthusiastic about the smartboard stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pulcinella posted:

A projector and a document camera were incredibly helpful, but you don’t need a smartboard to do that. I’m impressed some of this poo poo is actually getting thrown away. My first district had a warehouse where old technology would be entombed until the end of time. You see it can be hard to publicaly dispose of things ina school district. Trying to dump some old windows 95 tower PCs? Better do it in the dead of night or someone will complain to the media about how the school district is wasting tax payer money throwing away 25 year old computers.

I can imagine, although this varies between districts. The one I worked at had little compunction about tossing poo poo; we just had to make sure we noted the asset number and serial number for records, then we'd send it off to some recycling outfit. (And of course, once it hit the recycling pile, well who's going to give a poo poo if it winds up somewhere else? :ninja:)

There was one time when I wanted to formally buy something as surplus - it was an old (even for then) InFocus LP1000, with some special short-throw lens, that someone had donated. Between it being a monster-sized projector and it having the short-throw lens that lacked adjustable zoom, nobody wanted it, but it was still too big and prominent to just go to recycling. The IT director had to go through some process which involved having the board of directors sign off on it as an official "surplus" item, which then allowed him to formally sell it to me for :10bux:.

(I got a lot of use out of it. One of the best value-for-money purchases I ever made. One of my friends has it now, it still functions!)

quote:

The big textbook companies have even managed to go backwards. In the late 90s/early 2000s textbook companies would produce supplementary software to accompany the textbook. Usually multimedia with videos, pictures, Flash games and interactive experiences, etc. Now they struggle to put a PDF online and fix the errors in the online quiz. (E.g. “Calculate the answer with the correct number of significant figures” but the person writing the quiz for the textbook company got the wrong answer so the quiz marks correct answers as wrong).

lol the Flash content

At the district I worked at, someone in IT got sold on buying Wyse thin clients and connecting them to Windows terminal servers; this was going to allegedly be a big money saver over buying regular PCs for the school libraries and computer labs.

"let's throw 40 Windows desktop sessions onto a two-processor Pentium 3 server blade, what could go wrong?"
"oh hey guys the school textbook industry just discovered Flash"
"gently caress"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

if you ever get an electric bike you gotta get that plate transferred and then do up a custom battery meter with the "stop/slow/normal/racing" thing going on

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my text tone is the sound effect from MechWarrior 2 that plays when you hit the override on the reactor scram

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

you can replce the windows startup sound with basically anything and the pro move is to make a 30 minute track with a blood curdling scream at the end, and then set that on your coworkers computer

i feel like the real pro move would be to do a 30 minute track with intermittent unintelligible whispering starting after a few minutes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hey, remember when facebook went down for a day last years? high point of 2021. hope we see more of it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

3D Megadoodoo posted:

vacuum cleaners generally work fine for 30-50 years regardless of brand. just install (and replace occasionally) some filters and use Good Bags and Shitsuck 5000 from 1984 is as good as anything you can buy today.

LIFE HACK: if your vacuum cleaner sucks by not sucking, it's about 100% certain the problem is the lovely terrible bags you're buying.

thanks for the reminder, i'm probably overdue to change the filters on my vacuum cleaner

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i'm pretty sure he suicided

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hed posted:

The original "genie" radio commercials said win95 could run in about 8 MB of RAM. Not sure about late 1995 but at least a few years earlier it was $100 / MB

i think technically the min spec was 4MB but that was probably really painful. i do know 8MB was enough b/c i remember running win95 on a 486 w/ 8 MB.

(it was really chuggy on a 33mhz 486. bumping up to a 66mhz DX2 was a big difference)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

tried running win98se on a maxed out 486dx66 with 32mb ram and it's still pretty chuggy

also during the install it apparently decided to not install the ide cd drivers that were necessary for it to get other drivers from the cd. called it a day at that point and haven't gotten back to looking at it

might try again with win95 on a different cf card to see if it's any faster

that tracks. i remember in the late 90s/early 2000s there was some 3rd party utility that would replace the win98 explorer with the win95 explorer because it was a lot slimmer

Gentle Autist posted:

i mean yeah that is trash but i guess that’s just what we were used to back then

computers before ssds were slow as poo poo. i’m sure your 486s running off a flash card were still significantly faster than machines with similar specs running off old ide drives in the 90s

did 486-class machines even have DMA or were they limited to PIO? i cannot recall. a fast enough HDD could probably saturate a 486

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like, i think a non-trivial part of the speedup i got from bumping from a DX to a DX2 back in the day was probably that the computer was able to issue drive commands faster

i could be wrong though

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tankakern posted:

lol remember active desktop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

you can intercept keyboard events in javascript the same way you can intercept mouse events, so they just intercept f12 and have it do nothing the same way as those anti-right click scripts work. you can always get to it from the browser tools menu tho. the more rear end in a top hat thing to do is throw a loop on the page that calls "debugger" so when you open dev tools it breaks and you have to disable debugging.

jesus WEP posted:

i’ve seen a few sites overriding middle click to open link in same tab and it makes me so mad every time

4lokos basilisk posted:

websites that do some instant redirect fuckery so you have to be really fast on the back button, and also sites that totally wipe out history somehow

Mr. Nice! posted:

you can right click -> open in new tab on lexisnexis, but if you middle click it will just open the exact same page with the link you wanted to open from and center in the new tab.

the managers of the developers responsible for these behaviors should be put in prison

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

some web devs want to intercept all keyboard events. i know of at least one guy who wanted to intercept pressing escape so he could finish his web-based emacs clone

i hate him

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

he’s actually an epubifile it’s a subtle difference

goldmine

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

a fair amount of greybeards have youtube videos up where they retrofit a line in to old rear end factory stock cassette decks. basically if you can get ahold of the schematics (or know electronics well enough to trace it out) you just find a spot where the cassette audio circuit is line level, inject your audio there through a couple of resistors, and use a cassette shell with no tape in it to switch the stereo to tape mode

there's a mod for adding an aux port to GM head units that hooks into the FM side, so that when you plug into the aux port it switches from the radio to what you've got in the aux port

i bought a replacement that was already modded (because the tape deck in the old head unit in my buick died) but unfortunately running off that aux port is really quiet for some reason, so i had to have the volume cranked really loud for aux input to sound normal. but i noticed i'd feel kind of fatigued listening to it like that, which i wondered if there was some output i wasn't hearing that was clobbering my eardrums or something, but either way it was unpleasant so i just gave up and used a tape adapter again since the new units tape deck worked.

Jonny 290 posted:

i was pondering pulling the stock ford stereo (6cd indash changer lomarf) for a double din head unit so i can get carplay but theyre all just so gross and ugly, except the $1,000 ones, which are gross, ugly, and expensive

yeah i wish someone would rip off the ipod interface, have like two-thirds of the front area used for a display, and then a big push-knob for navigating the menus (and another big knob for volume). instead, everyone either wants to do just one huge touchscreen (barf), or just re-hash late-90s seven-segment displays

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hahaha fuckin' bullwinkle lmbo :xd:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you know that's what humanity would be asking the moment we found an alien equivalent to the Voyager/Pioneer probes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Using all 600 watts of a 4090, forcing my air conditioner to turn on in January just so I can see the gimp windows jiggle

jiggled again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

that program which let you use your gmail as a remote hdd

i remember one time giving a buddy an account on my FTP server

then one evening while i was remoted into the server i looked at the FTP monitor and saw a shitload of crazy traffic. just constant disconnects and reconnects. "lol dude what loving FTP client are you using??"

turned out he was playing with having the FTP connection mounted as a filesystem, lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man i was a dumbass kid who didn't know about BBSs, i wish i had, i bet there were at least a few in my area

also weirdly i had like the one winmodem that worked pretty well. i remember scoring a used USR external modem later on and it didn't really give me any improvement over the winmodem. but maybe it's because i had a p2-350 with a hell of a lot more spare cycles for doing modem poo poo than that one person's p75 lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jonny just get a lightweight microatx case and then get a set of case straps. or go hardcore and weld a handle onto a microatx case.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

holy fuckin lmao that xoxide is (a) still around and (b) still sporting its HTML website from 2005

lol drat check out the cases. fuckin' antec nine hundred. this website's definitely extremely on-topic for this thread

but check out how fast that old html website renders though. instant.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
printers are just disobedient lil' robots

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh poo poo speaking of disobedient lil robots

i remember one class in college, we had a project to build and program a lego robot that would navigate a maze. only, here's the thing, with the lego robot kits we had (this was in 2003 or 2004), the motors were so goddamn clapped out that we couldn't get consistent performance out of them. i think we basically just ran the maze again and again until it finally made it through.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
force feedback joysticks

it was totally awesome playing games like independence war and feeling the stick pulse when firing weapons or kick around when the ship started getting beat up, or mechwarrior 3 and feeling the stick rock back and forth with the mech's footsteps. not a whole lot of games put in force feedback stuff, and nobody would ever bother with that poo poo now, but i'm glad there was a time when it was cool

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

people don't do force feedback anymore because there's a troll in san jose squatting on all the patents.

most of them should be expiring pretty soon, though, so here's hoping

loving patent trolls

scum of the loving earth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

fax machines are cool and good imo

absolutely not. it's a printer with a phone line attached. a printer !!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

computers don’t involve enough physical motion and sound and drama anymore.

best way to fix that is to drag an old piece of poo poo with a bad history out to the quarry for some "team-building hand-eye coordination exercises"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah that wax printing's been around since the 90s hasn't it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

i definitely used daemon tools mostly for piracy but i also remember ripping a bunch of my physical cds too. it was so much faster and way less noisy

remember how goddamn loud cd drives were? lol

there used to be special bin/cue rips of CDs that were, like a few megabytes (if that?) and were designed to be mounted in something like daemon tools. the idea was that the rip had the specific information that the copyright protection was looking for, so you could defeat the cd check without having to use a crack or insert a disc or take up several hundred megs on your hard drive

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

other people posted:

My current ISP offers 10Gb symmetric for €30/month but you have to use their equipment and 1Gb for €20 is already more than we'll need for the foreseeable future. But still I really want to do it because 10Gb holy poo poo!!!!

prices here aren't that good, 200m symmetric for like $80/month. think it's only like another $20/mo to jump to 1gb but it just seems silly at that point. if i had other people living with me or was regularly clogging my pipe i'd totally go for it but as it is i still kinda marvel at having a faster internet connection than "fast ethernet"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

i changed my ssid to YOSPOS for a screenshot joke a while back and never bothered to change it back lol

the password is "jelly wizard 4u" enjoy

*hacker voice* i'm in

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

windows vista came in home basic, home premium, business, and ultimate

also came in N versions for europe

also there was the starter version which limited you to three programs at a time
also came in the signature version with a bill gates signature

wasn’t there also an enterprise edition or did that get added for 7?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

You know what's some stupid tech poo poo? Those electronic shopping cart wheels that lock when you take them out of the parking lot

Like okay you don't want your shopping carts stolen, fine, whatever. But those wheels are the dumbest goddamn thing. First because they are super unreliable and just randomly lock up on their own for no reason. But second because when they lock up, people just keep dragging them around with a locked wheel, and that rips off a chunk of the rubber where it's dragging, and then the wheel has a flat spot that goes clunk clunk clunk even once the wheel is released and now you have a brand new shopping cart that rolls worse than a 20 year old beat to poo poo rusty one with normal wheels. And then this happens to every single cart at the store. gently caress

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, the pick-up app defaults to substitutes and then, if you remove the option, the picker subs anyways

at least you could old person grouch about it, holding the original sheet of paper as you return whatever weird bread they subbed in because they couldn't find the rare (dozens available) italian bread

i remember one time picking up the curbside order at the grocery store i apologized b/c i had a a couple boxes of cat litter and a few cases of soda or something and they instantly said "naw it's fine, i like doing this a lot more than rounding up shopping carts"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qsvui posted:

how pressing middle click lets you scroll up or down a page by moving your mouse up and down. does anyone actually use this?

i also use this feature

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Manzoon posted:

Radio Shack talk reminded me of Circuit City going under and trying to get cool deals on anything but they had already sold their entire inventory to some large scale liquidator so everything was basically MSRP.

wonder if trying to bribe an employee to look the other way would have worked

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
they're called the Knight Sabers!

god!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think my biggest question about those Ferrari Acers is why the hell did Ferrari lend their name to that? you’d think they’d be more protective of their brand.

i'm guessing they bet that the kind of people who buy ferraris would never mingle with the kind of people who would buy a ferrari acer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volmarias posted:

Something something Caro Goes To Syria

i remember some goon posting that someone allegedly saw/heard caro being tortured in a syrian prison and i thought "wow, true or false, caro's gotta be dead by now. :rip:"

absolutely astonishing that not only did he survive but actually got released and sent back to the united states

i think there was even an npr piece that mentioned him. mindboggling.