Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

remember having a job? lol good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i unironically love when you come across an old open source project that lost relevance in 2005, and it’s still getting daily updates

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i had a sony xplode car stereo in my 1997 ford probe gt :getin:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

when u mount the head unit and she keep spinnin ya control knob >>>>>>>>>>

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

the way they did the volume control on that is they made it a touchscreen element and then epoxied a dial with a capacitive thing onto the screen

this is the future big touch screen wants for your children.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

aaaaah the french

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my corner of northern Indiana had a regional isp that provided Usenet access with dial up service back in the late 90s/early 00s and it blew my mind when I moved to the Bay Area that Silicon Valley of all places didn't have regional isps and it was Comcast/att only.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

good job switching their names

either you are 180 years old or youre 20

i tried for a while but gettin papers & tobacco seprately became too much of a job.

what sort of loose tobacco are you buying what doesn't come with a pack of papers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lol look at this guy with his fancy free papers

i've never actually seen that

American spirits and Bali shag both did when I was younger. idk about now. probably not any more, but that's just joe bidens America for you.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Neito posted:

my personal shame is that i just don't "get" virtual desktops and have never used them in any sort of effective manner in my workflow.

me too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

eschaton posted:

it wouldn’t surprise me if it was ESR who suggested they be called “key parties”

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Midjack posted:

"loadsharer" sounds like what he'd call the other people at "key parties" iykwim

this has really gone far enough.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I wanted a tv tuner card so bad as a kid

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

god, softmodems were the loving worst

i remember dropping over a hundred bucks on a pci hardware modem my senior year of high school

yea they sucked rear end. one of the first things i ever bought off of ebay (also in hs) was a us robotics 56k modem.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

we should bring back dial-in bbses

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

most of those owned hard

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gabensraum posted:

that is the perfect size for a phone, i want one if it's not terrible in other ways

its android so

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

ciudad warez

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

magsafe 3.5mm headphone jack.

just looked this up. weird!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you'll lose the lil piece eventually. some of us sooner than others.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so this is stuff you remember in the sense that you haven't been on a flight since covid? because this is very much remains the thing.

who is still using the in-flight entertainment system instead of their own devices now of days

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sniep posted:

this is what i remember

my dad had one of these

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

we also had an enormous satellite dish (like 8-10 ft diameter) on a pole in our back yard that my dad also used for pirating TV, even though we still paid for cable. i think it was almost more about doing it than needing to do it. he was able to use it to hook me up with those crucial (mostly) descrambled ppv's during the wwf attitude era.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my dad also had one of those tv remote control watches that I think worked just like this.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

phone with ir emitter sounds sick

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

when i was a property manager at my last apartment complex we had this one couple who would routinely order late-night drunk fast food on doordash, it would get dropped off at the entrance of the building. but they would pass out and forget about it so it would still be sitting there when i took my dog out in the morning lol.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

No, I don't think I will.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

just be nice to everyone you come across on a day to day basis. simple as,

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol yahoo webstores

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but check out how fast that old html website renders though. instant.

:hmmyes:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pOwns is somehow, inexplicably, the most disgusting part of that tweet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i bought one for my parents like 15 years ago and afaik they still use it without issue, the hl-2280 is a goddamn workhorse

i've found cheaper color led/laser printers to be absolute loving trash though. the brother one was ok but do not, under any circumstances, buy a samsung color laser printer

does samsung make anything worth a poo poo? seems like every time they get brought up in this forum it is to say how much worse they are than the alternatives

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yosposters when asked what they ate for breakfast this morning: “hmmm maybe…food? idk”

yosposters upon seeing a picture of an old printer: “August 15, 1992. Apple LaserWriter IIf. Ms. Blevins’ 4th grade classroom. 2 MB onboard ram. Tasted of strawberries”

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that thing looks huge

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

hell yeah pbt all the way

just put these fellers on last night. feels good man

:eyepop:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

git apologist posted:

tkl is vastly superior

yah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a mouse without a wheel cannot seriously be considered the best mouse of all time.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/jnyboy/status/1608531407848247296

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

Frying motherboards because of hot swapping ps/2 connectors. I just unplugged and replugged my USB-C keeb the other day and thought how marvelous the future is.

i think im too young for that to have ever been a problem. i dont recall any issues doing that.

Beeftweeter posted:

those little usb-ps/2 adapters were pretty neat

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

eschaton posted:

I just got an original PS/2 Model 60 and have a Model 70, Model 80, and Model P70, and they’re all very well engineered

my first computer was a ps/2 model 70 :3: