Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have tidal and the interface is utter trash
it's so god drat bad. how do you have a music service without a play history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

when i took piano lessons, the school had me rent one of those so they could give me midi files to play along with, but i never really found it very useful. it's kind of a neat concept, and i wish i had put a little more time into figuring out how to make it work for me

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

rotor posted:

my favorite thing on the internet right now is when i go to a site and something goes wrong with the css loading and everything is just rendered as default html and it feels like 1996 again

every once in a while you stumble on a site that’s intentionally like that and it’s SO FAST

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I remember having a creative SB Live! Cd drive and sound card in my first pc (a 486 sx25 from my dad's office) and it coming with that exact pseudo hifi interface and a "Q Sound" positional audio demo with a cowboy shooting at you from behind a cactus

Q Sound was pretty funny iirc. Some guy sold it to creative as some kind of super fancy positional algorithm or something when it was just levelling based on putting two mics into a literal human skull where the earholes are and doing a basic positional sample.

though tbh that's pretty much what my AV amp does to set its levels just without the skull, though it constantly over cranks the bass

edit: I literally cannot find any mention of this at all. I swear I remember reading about this and how it was a "special skull" that they used that they claimed made it better than just positional mics but now I think maybe I imagined it
it's definitely a thing outside of creative -- at least in very niche cases to make binaural recordings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_head_recording

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got a Dell streak for free because my company ordered 10 trillion Dell laptops. still wasn’t worth it.
my dad was really upset when he had to move on to a new phone after his stopped working for some reason. I think he's probably gotten over it now, but he really liked that thing for some reason

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

the first upgrade i bought after starting college was the cheapest tuner i could find then started recording shows off the campus cable package

as a kid i carefully recorded tv shows on our vcr and would live-edit out commercials, the tv tuner was like magic in a bottle to me :allears:

ah, a fellow cool college dude! I think I still have some rips of the Critic from before dvds came out and some random stuff from Conan O’Brien, things like that. I need to make sure that stuff is still safe…

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

oh poo poo ocz

more funy tech poo poo

[H]ardOCP

orbs

rounded ide cables

i had both of these, as well as this passive video card cooler:

rotor posted:

sevenvolting ur fans was the right thing to do
got to get those panaflo 80mm fans for minimum noise.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

peltier cpu coolers

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

northbridge fans lol

I remember replacing one with a passive heatsink but then there was no clearance for the graphics card so I had to cut a load of the fins off and hope that the air being drawn through the GPU would pull some over the sink
I stupidly did my last computer upgrade in the time when northbridge fans were coming back, so I have a slightly older mb that doesn't support the newer ryzens, but also doesn't have a horrible tiny fan. hopefully it will last as long as my 2500k did and i won't have to worry about it

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Volmarias posted:

He doesn't make it look like mania, but the fact that he almost laughs but manages to hold it in just makes it so much better. You know there were a couple of takes and everyone realized that they were sitting on absolute gold when they saw that one.
please enjoy the oral history of this scene. apparently it was the first take, and they went with it because it’s so perfect.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkv9q/an-oral-history-of-tim-currys-escape-to-the-one-place-uncorrupted-by-capitalism

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

obviously blu-ray won because James Williamson was involved in its creation. you get a Stooge behind something, and people are going to love it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

taking the ball out of the mouse and cleaning the horrible ring of gunk off of the two little plastic rollers inside

so satisfying

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

WilWheaton posted:

there was a call in show on the radio station in my kneck off the woods that had a “computer expert” on in the late 90s

12 year old me called in and asked if I could use a Zip disk could be used as a hard drive replacement to install video games onto. I remember really hounding him for an answer on live radio and there was no way if he could tell me if that would work well
my dad used to listen to some kind of call in show that had a tech guy called the Duke of URL. I didn’t realize what a pro name it was at the time

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

silverface gear is very nice and also extremely bid up. broken poo poo going for $500+, etc

I feel like i should take advantage of this and pass on the old marantz that I’m not using, but it’s so cool!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

two tablespoons of nutmeg did make me sick and feverish and lightheaded for about 48 hours, so there's definitely something there
I cannot see nutmeg without thinking "you know, like Malcolm X got high on in prison!" in Captain Murphy's voice

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

bawls was really tasty but it disappeared from pretty much everywhere i'd lived in from around 2009 onwards i guess. where are you still finding it?

microcenter! it’s the only place I’ve seen it since gamer friends’ apartments circa 2006

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I had a relative who got on a terrible upgrade cycle and ended up getting computers with Windows ME, Vista, and 8 and missing all the others. I felt so bad for him

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Volmarias posted:

While fair, EA seems like it's been able to get some absolutely fantastic stuff made, especially when it would take 5 years of dev time by a smaller outfit that might not have the money for that at the time.

Video games are a land of contrast.
currently enjoying Against the Storm and its biweekly updates. it's EA, but definitely a full game, even if it's not quite finished yet.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i had one of those ofc

and i also had a hercules game theater xp for a while

I had completely forgotten it, but I had one of these too. I’m not really sure why, and I never knew anyone else who had anything like it. now I basically have the same thing with a usb audio interface, but it has a nice big knob

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

at one point i had a catv capture card, i had some m-audio soundcard poo poo... those were the days
yep, had a catv capture card too, and i need to finally put some of the stuff i grabbed on youtube. i think most of what has survived all these years are like musical performances on conan in the early 2000s, so there might actually be some good ones in there

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sweevo posted:

pringle tube wifi antennas
i had a neighbor who had one of these these so he could work on his laptop from our apartment pool. that was a pretty sweet setup in ~2007

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

evobatman posted:

Oh man, PS3 Media Server (later Universal Media Server) changed my life. It was one of those things that Just Worked.
Absolutely agreed, it was a truly impressive achievement.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

people can't memorize confusing industry acronyms
technology without an interesting name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

back orifice was cult of the dead cow
Beto did back orifice??