Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

alcohol 120%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what was the difference between shoclkwave and flash

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jeffrey p bezos is a sociopath

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it'd be a shame for their actions to have consequences

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

p sure oled is strictly better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

someone on this very forum pointed out that oled is so loving dim they had to add a special subcategory to the rec.2020 standard just so they could still call oled tvs "ultra hd"

oled delivers truly excellent color, and really good, deep blacks, but unless you exclusively watch tv in a windowless room with the lights turned down it's not super practical

are you sure you aren't thinking of plasmas

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i'm sure. oled is considerably dimmer than competing technologies. it's gotten better but it will never be as good as lcd or plasma

for added fun, due to the way oled works, the brighter you drive a pixel, the more wear and tear it incurs

so burn-in is back, baby

wrong as usual. my panasonic ST-60, which was one of the best plasma TVs made before plasma TVs died, has a spec max brightness of around 82 nits. low end oled tvs can put out around 150 full-screen nits. so "never as good" is already "nearly twice as good as the last, best generation of plasma tvs"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

to be fair, the ZT-60 halo model last and literal best plasma TV ever made had a max brightness of 159 nits, so i suppose that is competitive with a bog standard oled.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bearing in mind that "bog standard oled" is among the most expensive televisions available for purchase

there are no low end oled sets

ok these oled tvs that have the same msrp as my plasma did in 2013, or less than half the cost of the ZT60, not adjusted for inflation.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

subscribe to my onlyfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes