Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
my grandpa can confirm that WLW could be heard emanating from the barb wire fences on our farm in Cincinnati back in the day. We were probably 10-15 miles from the tower, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

re: the Java ring… I had a fossil watch with one a Dallas Semiconductor iButton on it. pretty cool 2-factor authentication method they were trying to push for digitally signing, encrypting and verifying documents. was used for postage by a company called e-stamp back in the day.

I suppose it’s also related to the JVM that’ll run on smart cards or whatever they’re called

Neato blast from the past

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

what’s this image of? an RTG for a satellite or lighthouse or something?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's the former, yes

maybe one of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power

e: not a SNAP. it is an RTG though, the one from cassini

yep, you nailed it… the Cassini page has a picture similar to the one posted. here’s the main article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPHS-RTG

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

funny enough, I had a blu ray drive hooked up until last week when I disconnected it so I could easily plug in a hard drive I was archiving. thx for the reminder to plug the Blu-ray drive back in.
I last used it maybe a year ago to rip a Blu-ray that was prone to skipping on the xbone.
Made many points with my partner doing that.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i drove a 79 monte carlo in high school. never had the guts to modify the dash, so my head unit was some janky rear end sony poo poo in a u-shaft formfactor. speakers were a bitch in that car too because the rears were 4x10 instead of the way more standard 6x9

holy crap, my first car ever was an 81 Monte Carlo and my second (still in high school) was a 79… whatup Carlo buddy.

that car did NOT do well in the snow.

and yeah 4x10’s sucked. my 3rd car was an 83 Subaru GL wagon and I swear it had 3x6’s or something hosed in the front. I loved tinkering with my stereo in all my cars but never could get anything good really because of that weird-rear end stock poo poo.
I did put a CB in that car though

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was hella fun on iced over parking lots though

word

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i still have the monte carlo sitting in a barn at my folks place. it gets fired up occasionally when my dad takes my nephew for rides in it. my dream is to someday do an electric conversion.

that is amazing... both of mine are long gone. The '79 started having automatic transmission issues after I helped rope tow my friends van to the shop.
We were fuckin idiots lol. it gave up and I put it in the junk yard that I used to get most of my parts from.
ashes to ashes... dust to dust

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ive never run amps for the full range speakers but i always always put a sealed 10" with like a 250-400w amp. just enough to fill it out

except the expedition, which has a factory 10" sub. sounds good too

The only car I had that truly had a good stereo in my opinion was my 1990 Toyota Celica
with the factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette player and two 10" powered subs in the trunk.
One a self-powered JBL tube
and the other was an actual powered 10" Bazooka tube

Funny enough, our 2009 CR-V had the head unit malfunction, so I needed to look for a replacement. Had to be super cheap because I don't know how long we're going to keep that car but had to replace it because my wife loves listening to the radio.
We bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08464VRML
and I ended up getting a wiring harness and installing it myself. Super simple job, but holy crap was I surprised at the fact that the thing is only like 1" deep. Like the hollow guard sleeve that the radios would slide into was longer than the actual radio.
It sounds decent too... and with no moving parts the thing is probably going to outlast me.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wow, I hadn’t thought of that but you’re right it probably is a class D. I can’t tell.

are they just so much better that they’ll replace all A and B and AB in the audio space? at least for most people who aren’t boomer audiophiles with “golden ears” hanging onto their tubes for greater “warmth”

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

Pretty much, yep. Think of it as the difference between switching power supplies and old linear ones. except the feedback isn't to keep the output at a certain voltage, it's a feed of the low level audio

they basically chop up the audio at a frequency way higher than human hearing (30-100x the highest frequency you want to reproduce, though I have a suspicion the amp chips in the iphone run at 48khz sampling * 20 = 960 kHz), turn the instantaneous level of each bit into a PWM signal, run it through a couple of amplifier transistors, then lowpass filter it.

theyre so efficient because the transistors are only operating in cutoff or saturation at any given moment, which is where those devices are most power-efficient. it's the in-between stuff that means the transistor has to sink heat.

thx for this… I knew generally how they did their thing, I’m just surprised the noise and distortion has been figured out. I get that the frequencies involved are way outside of human hearing, but thought maybe harmonics might mess up the audio.

I’m an electronics tinkerer and hate the noise switching power supplies make on my scope. again, I know they’re much more efficient and the noise should be / could be filtered out but drat, lol

plus I love big heavy expensive transformers :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

agreed, everything from the last few pages owns

funny tech poo poo thread’s been on a roll this weekend

I want to get a “solid state” sticker/decal for my laptop

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

i had one of the first 'smartphones' and its pretty well memory holed. neopoint np1000

i remember it being the coolest thing on earth that one night i was riding shotgun while my gf drove us down to fort smith and i got on the internet with a serial cable to my laptop from it!!!!

ewww, cables? IR modem connection FTW!

just don’t move anything even a little or you’ll break line of sight

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Bill Gates pie to the face

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59vcxe

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

with the Twitter profile pic it looks like he’s talking about that dog

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

lol, he didn’t say melts your hand… melts IN your hand

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Beeftweeter posted:

well even nonradioactive cesium is toxic. i dont think gallium is

yeah that was my bad joke. elemental Cesium is like the most reactive metal on earth isn’t it?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

eschaton posted:

I do my part, behind the lines
Swabbing door handles of cop cars
With DMSO mixed with LSD!

gently caress yeah, bring back Kesey’s Merry Pranksters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014