Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

carry on then posted:

all the unix/linux servers in the engineering department were named after star wars planets

i remember logging on to both geonosis and kamino at points

Same here. Real world galaxies and star wars planets. It's a naming convention to help group hardware.

Virtual machines are just named for the services they provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

that's pretty cool, op

make rocks

I admit I have to keep the pdf around so that I can remind myself what the implicit variables are, though, particularly for linking

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Winty posted:

as someone who doesn't know a lot about network stuff i'm curious if there is a known good way to mitigate that BGP paradox when you have a large area of network space. hard connections to important servers? guessing it's not a problem that comes up often

I'm not a BGP expert. But if you want to manage a lot of complex connections without error, you need to let computers analyze the network and create the BGP advertisements themselves. Hard coding anything leaves room for mistakes, including conflicting advertisements or incorrect advertisements because someone forgot a manual step somewhere (such as making sure a manually inserted rule is relevant).

So what's the next best thing? Getting people to sign off on manual changes or important automatic changes. Write tools that can help detect bad changes. Maybe other procedural controls. But they all pale in comparison to a good disaster plan that actually gets put into practice more often than once in a blue moon.

Microsoft once forgot to renew the registration for hotmail.com. Countless services forgot to renew SSL certificates. Evidence of fallen DNS servers manifest in myriad ways. OVH burned half of an entire data center. Domestic terrorists attempted to destroy an AWS AZ. Lightning storms damaged an Azure data center.

Disaster prevention is good, but disaster recovery is a must.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

defmacro posted:

I miss those big floppies with the latch those were fun.

what did turbo buttons do again?

Very old machines, like XTs, were able to vary their speed because early programs couldn't handle anything faster than, like, 4.77 mhz or something. It's pretty much a compatibility switch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Like, if all your programs ran fine on turbo then you could leave it on. But if your program was old enough then you needed to turn it off when running them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm using a superdisk and it's awesome how the labels advertise it as 120MB and it's actual 1048576 bytes worth of MB, not this modern dumbass 1 million bytes per MB.

Also, I miss having memory devices with nice read-only tabs. Sure, SD cards still have them, and you could occasionally find a usb disk with it, but old school floppies would have a satisfying click. You KNEW that tab wasn't going to move and you could turn the system off at any time and not screw up the fs.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

defmacro posted:

ah yess tyvm

also how about this huh https://youtu.be/sahskKAxSCY

Although, with a modern lens, the whole series feels like exploitative tiki and pirate kitsch, it's still a pretty good classic. But I hope this is a totally new story with entirely new characters but familiar themes and settings.

Having the IP owned by disney may not change much. I played the first and second monkey islands, and the Tales game (about 80%), and the writers were still able to keep it PG while being entertaining.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

The cool floppies just had little stickers OP

You're right, the big rear end 5.25" or older ones had stickers. I was referring to the 3.5" ones, which more closely resembled the superdrive disks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember playing ultima 4 on the apple II and constantly having to flip or switch disks. Never thought I would reminisce about those halcyon days of trying to find out why I couldn't get the shepherd to join my party (she doesn't join if you're a shepherd yourself)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm still amazed that the dreamcast was bold enough to include an f'in modem as standard with their consoles, and you could replace it with an ethernet adapter. And you could get vga output. So crisp!

linux on dreamcast was interesting but slow as heck because everything had to be pulled from the cd. Ran glxgears pretty well though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Volmarias posted:

The concept of geocities "neighborhoods"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ps2 had dvd, which was the killer app, and coasted on the popularity of the playstation.

Dreamcast had a couple amazing hits like jet grind radio, pso, and skies of arcadia, but having a real dvd player really killed the market for a dreamcast.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, if you played on a burned disc, you probably had poo poo seek times so it's worth getting the real game

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

Dreamcast also had shenmu

I still don’t really get the affection for it tho

you can feed and pet a kitten and also open capsule toys

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

don’t forget sea man, you could talk to the sea man.

:yikes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Never forget that the little beep you hear on a dreamcast controller is not for letting you know that the VMU is turning on.

It's to tell you that the VMU has no batteries.

Also, the VMU was a gimmick that never had quite enough traction to be seriously useful besides things like selecting plays in football in secret.

I remember putting a battery into it to try out the tamagotchi aspect of sonic adventure and realized very quickly that it was a waste of time. I still don't know anyone that actually enjoyed raising chao.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

Quotes still work

not immediately, and not always

they are frequently treated as a suggestion in a lot of cases

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

I think they're only actually ignored if there are zero results

Not from my experience

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

morse code

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe I should finally try to get a ham radio license this year

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitr0 posted:

go spend $30 on a UV-6R and you’ll be hooked

I already have a UV-5RA

the UI is almost as bad as programming an 80s VCR but there's a method to the madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitr0 posted:

beep boop ding dong

i hope you also use the wonderful programming tool chirp.

simply wonderful

chirp is a necessity for configuration management for these radios

there is no way I'm going to manually reprogram 12 stations if I lose my settings. even just two is a real pain