Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

when I worked at GE Healthcare, we had hundreds of hololensii and I never saw them used for anything other than playing Tetris and other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bill Goatse

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

its not an uncontrollable firehose, you dont have to sign up for your wrist buzzing every time elon tweets

I blocked Elon recently and my twitter feed has gotten so much better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

i kinda liked bagging. the front manager was decent and when we got self-checkout the few people that dared use them were easy to bag for at their cautious pace

i also was proud of my fast sorting and packing. it's like a race to get people out the door and everyone wins

I feel this in my core.

I was a bagger in my early teens and the mental sorting algorithm I built to bag groceries is forever seared in my brain. I can bag groceries today and fall right back into it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

Sun mice and the little calibrated metal plate you had to put them on

these ruled because they came out at a time when optical mice were absolutely unheard of. the place I worked at doing helpdesk as a teenager had sun machines because they interfaced well with our ancient AS/400 and Oracle system. the day those mice showed up in the round of sun machine upgrades, they blew everyone’s minds.

they also let me take home like 5 Sun pizza box machines because ~90’s internet and data security~

I wish I still had them.

ALSO a big part of my job was going out in the shop and swapping the rubber keyboard covers on the as/400 dumb terminals because they would get shredded up with use and without them the keyboards got irreparably clogged with weld dust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Leck posted:

so satisfying

if it all came off in one strip?

:kiss:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm the pitched up voices to avoid a copyright strike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

it doesn’t have to be!

look at the classic Mac OS through System 6 and then the subtle color in System 7, it’s lovely

and modern macOS with “Increase Contrast” enabled looks very System 7 these days

my modern Macs at work are between an LCD connected to a Macintosh Quadra 950 running Mac OS 7.6.1 and a Portrait Display atop a Macintosh IIfx running System 7.1 Pro so I’ve been able to compare pretty directly

the takeaway here I think is all OS’s became lovely when they stopped using pixel art for everything.

Mac OS up through 9.2.2, windows through 98, they were :kiss: because of their pixel art interfaces.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can dip into the hellworld thread for a bit but ultimately I have to come up for air or I get depressed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

Degaussing loving owned

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

Degaussing loving owned

BWONNNNNNnnnnngggggg………*click*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would pay real earth money for a modern day, accurate, degaussing simulator.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

if you had a Mac and a SCSI Zip drive though it would work just fine

they also made IDE versions that were pretty quick if I recall.

even the later power macs used the IDE ones instead of SCSI

I guess I don’t talk about SCSI enough because my phone thinks I’m talking about açaí

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went to college in that wonderful time where floppies were still super prevalent, but files had gotten big enough that they often didnt fit on floppies, and USB flash media didnt exist yet, or at least didnt exist at a price that a college student could reasonably afford.

ZIP disks were literally everywhere

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I worked in my colleges computer labs (remember computer labs? lol) and every single computer in every lab was fitted with an IDE Zip drive, and I dont think I saw one failure the whole time I worked there.

The IDE hard drives on the other hand? We had a stack of those as replacements

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

pendant novelty

Hanging a Zip 100 disk around my neck like Flava Flav

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have one of these and it works great. Its useful if you work with dodgy devices just to see if they're charging

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RHJRM8

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst part was most CD burning software of the day had a little graph for the buffer and you could watch it empty out.

You knew that thing was gonna be a coaster before the computer even did

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what happened to barons

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mantle posted:

Lol what's the story behind this?

A guy has been mad forever on the internet and will likely die mad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A guy has been mad forever on the internet and will likely die mad

At which point Nissan will throw 10K at whoever has the power of attorney, and they'll get the domain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst snipe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

never let rotor see failed boots

These boots were made for failin, and that’s just what they’ll do

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

silverface gear is very nice and also extremely bid up. broken poo poo going for $500+, etc

Holy poo poo you werent wrong. I just checked my literal trash-picked Pioneer SX-750, which is very much not anything special, on ebay, and :stare:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Cobalt Qube and Raq

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cheque_some posted:

I remember seeing an ad for the cobalt Qube in the back of some computer magazine and really wanting one when I was like, 11. "It's a cube shaped blue computer!!"

The G4 cube really did bite its style, but, also made it much better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

android has held onto headphone jacks way longer than iOS. just get an old anroid phone, stick your various apps on it and do that.

I’d argue that all touch interfaces are functionally the same and the only reason to chase older iPods is for the touch/click wheel, which does absolutely rule.

if I could bind my AirPods to my old iPod classic I’d absolutely do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

distortion park posted:

every windows laptop having a 1366 × 768 display

Also like, I dunno, 70% of modern business laptops with like a 12th gen i5 and a loving 1366x786 screen

Its insane

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Color bit depth

I remember having GPU's that could do hardware accellerated 3D graphics, but could only do them in 16 bit color

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doom on PC speaker is wild

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

256 colors was fine if the game was designed for it and didn’t dither and palette swap the crap out of everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cyberian outpost crawled so that Amazon could run

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol nice invalid cert

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Volmarias posted:

My children didn't know what a pay phone was. I had to explain.

I had to do the same thing a couple weeks ago too. they spotted the shell of a payphone with no phone in it and they didn’t know what it was

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

hell i watched the first four minutes and didn't get it at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HJI_qHBgo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://attrition.org/gently caress/thefiles.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

installshield wizard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

do they even make tn panels anymore?

there are still quite a few va panels out there because they go hand in hand with high refresh rate for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

depends on the use case. for gaming, color accuracy isn’t super critical. if you’re color grading in premiere or something, then yeah, you need the accuracy