Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

leading edge thing back then and boy howdy did it suck

I have a leading edge 8088 and boy howdy does it not work. potentially indicative of how much it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWG6kSYqlY

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 5, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh it auto embeds on the app and I didnt realize it wouldnt on the pc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was in college when torrents first came out and immediately got a talking to from the head network admin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a math class just after the first plane hit the tower. lots of students had seen the news on tv before class and got the gravity of it.

our math prof, however, simply stated “planes crash all the time. we aren’t cancelling class”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

black Mesa both releasing and being a drat good game, as well as HL2VR finally seeing the light of day after like 7 years of delays has restored my faith in humanity (or at least the part of humanity that mods half life games).

HL2VR was started way back in the oculus DK1/2 days when it wasn’t much more advanced than a google cardboard and still used an Xbox one controller

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

way ahead of you

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hed posted:

Blizzard's Starcraft "Oceania" region servers being in LA :nz: :australia:

I mean, its on the same ocean........

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

dslam in the back of my eula

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

my wifi network is always "Free kittens!"

you shouldn’t get peoples hopes up like that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THRILLHO Swaggins

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

funy tech poo poo I was just reminded of: floppies are really slow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raluek posted:

counterpoint: floppies are exactly the right speed for humans

if you're moving a few-kb image or text file from your pc to a diskette, it makes very pleasing clicking sounds and the progress bar fills to completion quickly but not too quickly that you can't savor the moment. just a couple seconds and it's done, but you can be sure it happened. the instantaneous transfer to e.g. a thumb drive isn't any more practical, and it doesn't really feel like anything happened at all.

there is a certain pleasantness to the bzzzt bzzzt bzzzzt of a floppy drive. good earfeel

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raluek posted:

counterpoint: floppies are exactly the right speed for humans

if you're moving a few-kb image or text file from your pc to a diskette, it makes very pleasing clicking sounds and the progress bar fills to completion quickly but not too quickly that you can't savor the moment. just a couple seconds and it's done, but you can be sure it happened. the instantaneous transfer to e.g. a thumb drive isn't any more practical, and it doesn't really feel like anything happened at all.

I'm imagining a computer touching mindfulness self-help book

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that poor compaq up above gets to format all of these:

it never asked for this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use a program called nformat which will just endlessly format floppies in a loop while also checking them for bad sectors and other problems.

I run it in the background while I work and there is no deadline, so the time I spend on it is already being wasted on such bullshit as working

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because I have a lot of old computers that cant use a floppy emulator so sometimes I need floppies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Contoso

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

when i'm in this situation i just look at a picture of your mom!!!

rude!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the gangbang meme but the guys behind the couch have floppy disks for heads and the smiling lady on the couch is a compaq

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

i have never heard of this and that is absolutely a company seeing people buy gold iphones and thinking android people would do the same

they do put legit high end stuff like alligator skin and Swarovski crystals on them and whatnot. the problem is they’re doing that on a Chinese android phone that will definitely never see an OS update as long as it lives.

it’s very literally a polished turd

I think one of their big selling points was some 24x7 concierge service that was basically a rented personal assistant, which they had to do because, again, polished turd.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what does Casey neistat actually do besides “have takes”, or is having takes the thing that he does?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

American telcos love to charge extra for things (texts, calls, internet, etc) that literally cost them nothing.

other countries aren’t exempt from this BS, what with their bandwidth caps and whatnot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The greatest thing stebe ever did was tell the telcos that they had to offer internet if they wanted to sell the iphone or they could gently caress off.

Pre-iphone, cellular internet was a real clusterfuck, at least in the US

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

to be honest the funniest thing is that they thought they could go to full ballin' we control the loving music industry now era apple and still expect to be able to make demands

I sort of wish they didnt play ball and forced Stebe to make his own cell carrier

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

AT&T—and the companies like Cingular that used to make up AT&T and once again do—have a unique sort of arrogance, from what I’ve seen working at some in the distant past

this is how a conversation went in early 2001 between me, a consultant doing Mac development on project at AT&T, and an idiot longtime employee on the same project:

idiot: here’s some printouts of release notes for a few Open Transport versions that mention bugs, can we get Apple to let us ship the latest version on CD with our cable modem kit so our customers never encounter these bugs?

me: we can try but Apple now only produces their latest versions of things like this for their latest OS, not all the older OSes people might be running. besides, these bugs may not be hit by our customers, they seem pretty obscure, let’s see if we hit them in testing first

idiot: we’ll just tell them to make the latest version run on the older OSes, we’re AT&T, they’ll have to listen to us

me: good luck with that

the idea isn’t fundamentally unsound (can we ship this thing that might prevent our customers from hitting bugs?) but the “we’ll just tell them to do what we want and they’ll have to listen to us” attitude would have gotten them nowhere

I used to work for GE, and there was a decent amount of that there too. I mostly saw it in the purchasing and contracting side. people at GE almost expected vendors and clients to get dollar signs in their eyes and just roll over and do what we wanted because we were GE, the money was endless, and if they wanted to ride our coattails they’d have to play ball.

Narrator: the money, it turns out, was not at all endless

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

micro to mini to full sd card adapters

The Techducken

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

the best form factor for memory cards imo

Sony sucks at physical media and only occasionally do they back the winning horse and get lucky (blu ray), otherwise it’s a dumpster fire of go-nowhere overly expensive proprietary poo poo.

Sony bring back the floppy disk mavica camera you cowards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will never not be funny to me that one of the things that killed the vita was the crazy expensive proprietary memory, and then the hacking scene just turned the cartridge slot into a standard micro SD card slot with a $5 adapter and made things 100x easier for everyone

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But whats their success:fail ratio?

Everyone forgets the tons of throwaway junk media that didnt work out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a reel to reel ampex is all anyone should need

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

windows 11 should have just been a service pack for windows 10

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I distinctly recall in the early days of windows 10 they said it would be the last version of windows and they’d just keep updating it and deprecating older versions of it.

did I dream that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

feels like a lot of change for changes sake too

like, gotta differentiate

This is my thought on it too, again, it should have just been a major update to 10 with a UI refresh. Functionally there isnt much difference between them in ways your average user cares about

Just give me "Windows" and I run whatever the latest version is. They really need to copy Mac OS on this one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also windows 11's BS system requirements of at least a 9th gen CPU, when you can change a registry setting and it will install and run just fine on anything that Windows 10 would run on, minus 32-bit CPU's, but those are pretty rare these days

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

video cards are all hueg like the Xbox now.

I have owned actual entire computers that are smaller than the 3070ti in my computer, and thats not even the biggest of the big cards

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Numbers are wild, they just go on forever, it aint right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol itanium

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

speaking of Blue Gene, anyone want one? 2048 PowerPC 440 CPUs!

Will it run OS 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

im sure they got google dollar signs in their eyes and let them do whatever