Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Carthag Tuek posted:

re spam, ive noticed i get maybe 10 a month in my spam folder as opposed to idk 30, but i get 2-3 in my inbox which i never used to. and theyre super obvious spam too

^^COON*GRRA*TUKLAA*TIIONS^^^!!!! You'uare theee luucky onlinne wwinner of aa brand neeeeew Sweeppstakees!!**!!***!!YYETI Hoopeeer N10 Coooler !!!entryy! *!**#11032180316557696

like wtf [note that is a facsimile, ive switched out at least half the doublets so if there was a stenographic code or whatever in there its gone unless its like parity 200]

I get these too and I'm confused about what the point of them is. Maybe a way to brute force test what gets through spam filters and what doesn't? Maybe broken spam bots screaming gibberish into the void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Cerv posted:

STUART ALLISON: I’m a huge Rocky Horror Picture Show fan. I don’t know if people think it’s a good movie or a bad movie. You can’t remake it, because it’s unique. The people are just enjoying it so much that it elevates it to this place you can’t replicate. And I felt that’s what he gave that take.

lol how long after this article was published did Netflix do their remake?

Oh my God I had no idea there was a remake :psyduck:

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

When I was a kid and a game wouldn't run due to a missing DLL I'd download a definitely real copy from some site

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

laserghost posted:

Wasn't the one literally named "dllsite" legit? I used it a lot trying to run weird old poo poo asking for ancient VB libraries

Early windows gamemakers like Click & Create, Klik & Play or The Games Factory had their proprietary library and sometimes game authors skipped including them to save on the file size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzDPxOC0HY

I doubt I paid much attention to the specific site but I know it worked enough that it was worth trying. I have a distinct memory of trying dozens of dlls to get survival crisis z running on vista. Totally worth the multiple viruses I installed

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

distortion park posted:

NFTs - in retrospect they came and went really fast

Yeah, popular awareness of them lasted for a few months at most and even then no one actually cared. Most people immediately realized the silliness of "owning" a digital asset that you can just download for free.

It's funny seeing people with them as avatars on Twitter still. They're like the lowest rung of the scammer hierarchy now.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

kitten smoothie posted:

Also I remember trying to read the news on the morning of 9/11 using the WAP browser on my Sprint 2G phone. It used a circuit switched data connection and cost 35 cents a minute as long as the browser was up.

By the end of the flip phone era every phone had a giant button in the center that brought up the browser. I always assumed they did that knowing people would accidentally click it and get charged for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

laserghost posted:

I had a pirate version of Max Payne with some mods already installed, and it took me many years, until I've played the game from Steam, to learn that during bullet time a very loud fragment of "Smack my bitch up" doesn't play in the original release

This reminds me of the pirated version of Alpha Protocol (should probably buy it and play it again) where all the UI sound effects were replaced with an injury "Ugh!" sound

Edit: wasn't there a game that had an anti-piracy thing make the game unbeatable a few hours in? I remember the idea was that the crackers would only play the first level so they wouldn't realize they hadn't fully cracked it

Gubbinal Girl fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 15, 2023