Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seem to recall there were copy protection schemes that basically rooted your computer too lol

How quickly we forget the Great Sony Music Fiasco of 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

he’s watching u

:magical:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

QBASIC, bundled with the best video game of all time, Gorillas.bas

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That's too bad, I thought it was some kind of "here's a wall mounted computer to organize your smart home, play music, take grocery list notes, quickly look up things on the interwebs, etc." but they actually expected people to lug this thing around?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blink polyfill posted:

if you grew up in silicon valley, you may have driven past wo'0 ideafarm, usually somewhere around the stanford campus in palo alto.

A few years ago he got the van he lived out of confiscated by the city after his signs took a more sinister tone in the light of gay marriage bans being struck down in california.

His whole thing was that he was trying to create an "operating system" on top of windows that promised to end all selfishness or something. If you wanted to contribute, and you were a teenager, you could buy him dinner at a local diner. Not a sex thing, he just thought teenagers were the only ones who "got it".

Anyways, after like 20 years he finally shipped:

https://github.com/ideafarm/ideafarm.home.1

quote:

Executive overview: IPDOS (tm) introduces a novel vision for server and desktop/laptop software technology that inserts a new software layer between a "base operating system" (such as Windows) and application programs (such as Windows console programs, windowed programs, and services). Application programs written for IPDOS (tm) are portable in that they run on any host that IPDOS (tm) has been ported to. IPDOS (tm) is a "piggyback operating system" in the sense that it runs on top of a base operating system and presents an alternative, innovative API to application developers.

Congrats on developing the JRE several decades after it might have been meaningful to do so?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Terry Davis at least gave us TempleOS, which was absolutely wild but so completely different from everything that it was nothing short of fascinating, and a nice example of the blurry line between madness and genius.

This dude's greatest innovation here appears to be... Making strings even more annoying?

quote:

The "stroke string" innovation: Legacy console and graphics programs manipulate 8-bit ASCII characters. Contemporary Windows programs manipulate 16-bit Unicode characters. IPDOS (tm) applications manipulate "stroke strings", in which each stroke contains three 32-bit integers. Each instance of the strokeS class can thus represent any Unicode text character, but can also represent a graphics element such as "set color to...", "draw line to...", "move cursor to...". A strokeS instance can also represent an element of a search pattern, such as "One of: 'one' 'two' 'three' 'a really long choice' " (IPDOS (tm) search patterns can emulate wildcard and regular expression searches but are more powerful in that subexpressions are fully recursive.) A strokeS instance can even represent an animated glyph that provides all of the functionality that is called a "child window" in the Windows API. By replacing the concept of a "character string" with that of a "stroke string", IPDOS (tm) eliminates the distinction between console and graphics programs. Every IPDOS (tm) application has the simplicity and structure of a console program, but all of the power of a graphics program.

"Sadly" he hasn't finished the graphical system so it's all console only right now, so you can't even see this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mystes posted:

Maybe TempleOS set too high a standard for crazy person operating systems.

Makes u think

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

i like how the top comment on every youtube video about how to solve thing is always like “8:23” and has more likes than the video itself

Someone wading through sewage and filth to unclog the drain for all of us. True heroes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

cheque_some posted:

remember when instead of just a youtube link sites would have a video available for download in quicktime, realplayer, mpeg and like three other formats for you to pick from, and all the formats sucked

14.4k friendly!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ssergE posted:

I remember borrowing a “learn to program in basic on the c64” vhs from the library. the instructor would go through a listing, then tell you to put a cassette recorder near the tv and hit record, then blast out the code listing in audio. you could then load the listing into your computer.

apparently in the uk at the time there were a few pirate radio stations broadcasting games you could record onto tape.

This loving owns though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Truman Peyote posted:

Lol, remember when it turned out that the british navy was still running "windows for submarines", which was basically just win XP, in like 2016 or something?

Wouldn't they be fine with an airtight network? I'm sure there's been a lot of money sunk into this, so as long as they made sure there's no leaks it's fine.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 18, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Who lives in a submarine under the sea?
Windows XP!
Two decades old and installed by CD?
Windows XP!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If nav table nonsense is something you see
Windows XP!
Press the wrong buttons and BSOD
Windows XP!

Windows XP Windows XP Windowwwwws Ex Peaaaa!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whatever that dialup isp was that gave you internet in exchange for you having banner ads on your desktop from them, which people very quickly learned to work around.

also

WebTV

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Typing Rhino Frittata instead of Reno, Nevada

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"uh yeah, kid. Here about the AOLs again. Here's five hours of internet - go look at the space jam website or something"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The russians used a lightswitch

Well actually, light switches are outdated and can cause fires, furthermore Chumbawumba4ever97 didn't spend a fortune building Alexa themselves but were actually approached by an ad offering it for $99.95, and

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, the use case for these is generally "at a glance" stuff, where you don't have to actually pick up and use the equipment to get the info.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm the cake that is self titled "conspiracy cake"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gentle Autist posted:

but then SSDs came and i was sated

itym SATA'd

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Have we done webrings yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Actually, did we do Mr. T Ate My Balls yet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

computre people should not interface

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

irpoweroutlet posted:

the little remotes with like fours buttons that came with some college textbooks, so your professor could throw up a quiz on a the projector in a lecture with 200 people.

I had a couple classes that used them in the mid-2000s. we called them clickers. I imagine they just use cell phones these days

gently caress, I remember those. They were used as the lazy professors' attendance taker.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it just wouldn't surprise me. my partner's books are all hosted online and they disable copy paste by some insanely obfuscated javascript that I didn't feel like reversing because, ugh javascropt, so i wrote a lil thing that will screencapture each page as you visit it and run it through ocr. I have to do a bit of manual cleanup on it because of images, so i gotta figure out a way to automatically crop out images before attempting the ocr.

universities are just cruelty factories meant toi extract money from students who have no say in the matter

I'm surprised it isn't simpler to run a scriptlet that finds the relevant base element in the page for you to just take from in the dev console, or copy to the clipboard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

eschaton posted:

LOL at the pleb school concept of “attendance”

Sagebrush posted:

in my experience it's linked to the professor's personality. some of them are just Tech Enthusiasts and like stuff like that.

Mine was a large lecture hall class, with the professor using attendance as an "I'm doing this for your own good, so that you aren't tempted to just skip and then you fail a final :byodood:" explanation. I think that was the only class that actually had attendance as a concept, although there were a couple of 100 level classes where going to (I think it was called) recitation was required?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Microsoft taking Polish reporters onto a submarine to make them experience "a world without windows" as part of the Windows 95 marketing push.

Found it

quote:

The purple-suited Mr Ross rounded off Mr Gates's solemn video appearance by commenting that "money can buy you many things, but it does not necessarily buy you a decent haircut".

:hmmyes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm kind of impressed tbh, I didn't realize you could Monster Cable an mp3 player.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Friendster

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The ipv6 router widget for your Facebook profile

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Farmville, and the apparent vice like grip it supposedly held people in

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

woah, there's a wall-sized mirror on your dog walking route?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i think this nudges out the dice machine for me. that's cool as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGbZbs

Dice machine is superior.

LavaRand is a goofy but somewhat practical and effective way to get reasonably random seed values, which is important from a security perspective.

Dice machine is for grogs who must have only the most truly random values for their elf games. Because the next dice roll could be theoretically guessed by a nation state level adversary behind the GM screen, they must have actual lumps of plastic roll, somewhere, or the true nature of reality for their elfgames is in doubt.

Dice machine is completely unnecessary engineering writ large for the superstitious whims of grogs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

i remember seeing a guy with the original galaxy note on the bus and being aghast at the size. it looked dumb as poo poo, like he was talking on a paperback book.

When I worked at Sarnsung ten years ago and we were working on the S Tab (or as we called it the rear end Tab), we joked about how we should put a boombox picture on the 10" one and carry it on a bus blasting music. What was fun was that the SoC it used for the data plan version naturally also supported voice telephony under the hood, so we had 10" screen phones to call each other with if you changed a firmware build flag.

I remember dismissing the 7" phablet as a cruel joke they were playing on the world, when now I genuinely wish for a decent 7" tablet as a bedside device after using my Nexus 7 forever.

When the Galaxy S etc were all coming out, I asked my skip manager if they realized that Apple was just going to sue the poo poo out of them because the copying was so on the nose, but was told not to worry because it was the lawyers' problem and the design teams' bed to lay in. Turns out I was right and so was he.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OG style smartphones just feel tiny now, like a 4" screen is a baby phone for babies with tiny baby hands.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Some tech director for Google or Motorola or something trying to get people to publicly describe Android and iPhones circa like 2009 as Superphones to differentiate them from smart phones, because they were such a leap again from what smart phones were from ye olde cellphonees of yore

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Being stoked at the transformational use of ssh on my O.G. G1 to connect to a screen session of irssi or to janitor my web site, while in the back seat of a car

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Visual Source Safe, and the use therein at my first job out of college because the tech lead didn't "trust" merging, by my new grad rear end who didn't know any better, because source control was (and still is) considered ancillary to the purposes of computer science.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The tab 7 but only because I worked on it, and somehow wasn't anywhere near the worst person writing the firmware for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At the end, they decided to create an emulation layer so that you could run Android apps on your BB tablet, since no one wanted to write for it. They got developers to work with them by the interesting strategy of "emailing every play store app contact address and begging" which sadly did not appear to work out for them.