Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Having a phone line which faintly picked up the local talk radio station. Both ironic and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

President Beep posted:

oh you had friends, huh?! i only had coworkers in the mines. no time for friends.

Look at Gabby Patty over here, with their "coworkers"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hypercard!!! In a computers class as a childe we had to make simple decks with these, I just wish I could comprehend at the time how neat this actually was!

Myst was originally created from HyperCard!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have seen just this week a file loader for a billion dollar process written in VBA and submitted to auditors as evidence of...idk what to be honest but if it was me I'd fail it on general principles

Are you auditing shaggar

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

eschaton posted:

Apple LOGO on the Apple II+

Extremely good memories from this one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

the coolest thing my parents ever did was send me to 2 weeks of computer nerd camp at a milwaukee community college and they let us play with logo all day

There was a programming class at a summer camp I went to when I was about 10, they were teaching some BASIC variant for older kids and I wheedled my way into getting a brief explanation of if/else from a teacher. From that point I kept learning and doing QBASIC, but I was also brain damaged because I didn't start using real and good languages until college.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shameful page snipe, content for redemption. Less "funny tech poo poo u remember" and more "ancient tech poo poo you're parents found cleaning their house"

This was the state of Toys R' Us's computer inventory around 1985. I was too young a childe to form memories about it. Mom was a proto-nerd so she ended up holding on to it for some reason.

Tag yourselves, I'm the Adam that mysteriously does not specify its processor unlike the others.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

eschaton posted:

also, as everyone knows, they put the whole system’s power supply in the goddamn daisy wheel printer

What in the actual gently caress

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

once again the cowardly free marketplace of ideas is defeated by the cowardly free marketplace of money

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

obeyasia posted:

playing quake 1 with keybaord only over dialup on heat.net. feeling like hot poo poo cause i knew the secret room to get quad damage on e1m1 to pwn n00bs

Heat.net was the best. I remember playing Q2 and TA:CC on Heat, it was such a loving blast.

I also remember friends accusing me of "cheating" because I eventually learned to use the mouse to aim while they still did keyboard stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Handheld scanners for documents you couldn't (or didn't want to) put into a flatbed scanner

You had to move them physically, in a straight line, along the path you wanted to scan. If you went too fast it would smear because it could only transmit so fast, and changing direction with your hand changed direction with the scanner.

Honestly, just thinking back on all the tech poo poo my mom had at home in the 90s, so much rad stuff that I didn't properly appreciate.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 8, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure the original cue at was just a PS/2 keyboard. the scanner converted the barcode into keystrokes and sent it out over PS/2.

so cuecats will continue to work for as long as windows supports PS/2 keyboards.

Amusingly, back around 2004-ish my university had a card reader you would swipe your ID card with. Obviously, the results would be done over some special device driver and the contents of the card would be obfu- lol jk no it was just a PS2 output device and the magnetic encoding on the card consisted of your student ID.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

oh that reminds me of the fad where kids were using a text notification ringtone that was just a 16khz sine wave that teachers couldn't hear lmao

This is pretty clever, I'm impressed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

crts are weird in the realm of vintage tech. I work in e-recycling and crts are one of the only vintage technologies that have not only depreciated drastically, but gotten more costly to deal with. yeah nobody wants that old VCR deck, but as a recycler I can at least get something out of it. the only way I can do that with CRT’s is to mark up my costs on them

CRT’s are just a chain of ever increasing markups. there are literally executives at the top of major recyclers going to prison for mishandling CRT recycling.

it’s insane how expensive and problematic they’ve become from an ewaste standpoint, so yeah, people should just be giving them away if possible.

The bolded part sounded too shocking to believe, so I searched and apparently this is in fact true!

How are computer recycling companies not getting away with doing the traditional "recycling" solution of "selling" the CRTs to a company in another country who just "accidentally" drops them out of the boat after pickup?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I once accidentally CRT TV set and all the televisions hissed out the back.

I'm reading this as "I once accidentally hurt a CRT TV set and all of the other televisions in the back hissed at me" and I much prefer this version.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

concave screen? wtf

It's like con carne, it means "with cave", which is probably where it was dragged out of from 30 years ago.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FMguru posted:

see also: neck massagers, vcr head cleaning fluid

Gonna need you to explain the vcr cleaning fluid one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that got me reading about RTGs and led me to an article about plutonium powered pacemakers :prepop:

This is actually an extremely cool idea and it's disappointing that it didn't continue, but I guess the proliferation concern of murdering old people for their sweet radioactive parts makes sense, along with the whole incineration thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

metal parts get smaller when it's cold (like my balls)

Talk about brass monkeys

graph posted:

:george voice: it's shrinkage. shrinkage

It's kind of disappointing that this is going to be some "laughable moment on 1970s sitcom" to our generation(s)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Remember when computers didn't look like the Borg assimilated a clown?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

shoeberto posted:

Didn't it come out and bomb, predictably?

Just looked it up, it was quietly cancelled. Disappointing but I suppose but surprising.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doom Mathematic posted:

Sony BMG initially denied that the rootkits were harmful. It then released, for one of the programs, an "uninstaller" that only un-hid the program, installed additional software that could not be easily removed, collected an email address from the user, and introduced further security vulnerabilities.

As I recall, after significant class action litigation, the remedy was... a $2 coupon for another music CD.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gentle Autist posted:

lol at checking a password dump to remember your own password

"What is the last password you remember using," asks the account recovery process for something that almost certainly had a shared password with some dumb bullshit 10 years ago.

"Lol," you reply. "Lmao!"

That is incorrect, the process solemnly intones 3-5 business days later

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

J Jonah Jameson posted:

just look at the contrast on that first screenshot. the crispness. the depth. flipping from leopard to monterey is like taking off your glasses. it's a disaster. a travesty

PARKER! I want pictures of spider man!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Those padded CD binders with mesh sleeves that were full of burned CDs of the music your friends liked, and of music they didn't but hey they have the .iso so why not, and which permanently resided in the glove compartment of their used 1990 Dodge Whatever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The CD binders that attached to the sun visor

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

graph posted:

i have a 5 cd changer in the head unit :smug:

Extremely rude thing to call your partner

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

No it’s the one for the apple ][

Sorry but this is the correct answer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

shoeberto posted:

Super Solvers did pretty much own bones. I don't think I played one that I disliked.

:same:

In b4 the secret island of doctor quandary is discussed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i get what you're saying but it's also cool that modern computers are reliable, quiet, cool, and fast.

Source your quotes please

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah its wild. itd be a good argument in favor of abolishing EULAs/TOUs but welp

Forced Arbitration 3: This time, it's personal

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

carry on then posted:

all the unix/linux servers in the engineering department were named after star wars planets

i remember logging on to both geonosis and kamino at points

The computers in the CS lab in college were named after breakfast cereals. capncrunch, booberry, etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Armitag3 posted:

I clipped the "yeah boooooooooooooy" sound from the meme and set it as my ringtone. A couple of jobs ago, I got up to use the bathroom and got a call while in there, and when I came back my coworkers asked me why I had a siren in my phone.

I hope you told them it was a warning to everyone that you were blowing up the bathroom

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Poopernickel posted:

my phone's ringtone is

vvvffft vvvfft vvvfft

just lol if your ringtone does anything other than tickle your leg

Is tickling the balls acceptable?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ok, sorry

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

My voice is my ringtone, verify me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

drat i'm stuck in this full-sized tower case, and, what are you doing...

What are you doing, tech bro???

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I wouldn’t buy a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

tk posted:

We got a Dyson wand vacuum for, I don't know, some pretty large percentage discount. I can't imagine paying like $700 for one of these things, but it certainly beats the poo poo of a $50 dustbuster.

You paid list price, they just couched it as a "great sale" to engage your lizard brain.