Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

i guess thats neat but where are the cases for guys like me that dont want a display case for my video card and ram?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1761150395...%3ABFBMqKSyrJ1j

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

double density floppies

apparently most usb floppy drives don't support em?

guess i'm gonna have to break down and buy a floppy emulator

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

vast has a lot of good pitches. i'm fighting hard to land on vast instead of weka a work

anyone remember fusion io aka woz's last stand

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i remember sun doing these boxes with shitloads of ram backed by supercaps

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

The kinds of computers that have drive letters are deeply unserious

gently caress you

my tandy 1000 is serious computar hardware

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so i have a 3 1/2 internal drive for a: and a 5 1/4 external for b:.

any time i wanna copy data between two 3 1/2 disks, i have to disconnect the external drive and reboot.

still don't have a way to copy between two 5 1/4 disks tho

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

a: was the 5.25, b was the 3.5. this kept your most frequently used drive from accidentally loving up your boot process if you left a disk in

what a pleb. get a machine with dos in rom

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my only mass memory is of sitting, standing, kneeling, and lovely wine and crackers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Leck posted:

Absolutely agreed, it was a truly impressive achievement.

always seemed like a gross hack to me

xbmc had beautiful categories and metadata. ps3 media player just displayed a list of folders and filenames

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

remember how apartments and offices advertised any broadband as t1, well past 1.544mbit being considered slow

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

both are hooked up to a tandy 1000

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i got it

write a program that writes an image of the 5.25" floppy to one of the 3.5" disks. then insert a new 5.25" and write the image back

you could definitely do this in basic

ended up buying a 20 year old usb floppy drive. newer ones couldn't deal with a double density floppy

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

now if we talking about funy : compact flash

wasn’t it literally ide??

yes. i use passive adapters to put cf cards in old arcade games

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i used cablecard with a network based tv tuner

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

blacklist pcspkr

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

p sure you can do ide with an 8-bit bus

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in college we set up an old apollo workstation with an hp serial console as a lab jukebox. don't remember which curses mp3 player we used.

box was barely powerful enough to play an mp3 -- if you ssh'd in, you'd cause a song to skip

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

hell id install it

ok boomer

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

in the last few years protein folding has been completely revolutionized by ai systems (no, seriously) so whatever f@h is doing now is probably useless.

traditional md sims have seen some insane progress too -- anton 3 is a beast and anton 4 is set to be even more beastly. too bad you can't touch one outside desres

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

corsair has a qi version

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/mousepads/ch-9440022-na/mm1000-qi-wireless-charging-mouse-pad-ch-9440022-na

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

thanks adama

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i remember going to communist romania in the late 00s and seeing a billboard ad for a cell phone plan. it was roughly equivalent to what you'd get in the $120/mo highest end iphone plans at the time -- 1500 anytime minutes, no roaming, unlimited texts, 5 gigabytes of data, etc.

it was 5 euros a month and advertised as a starter plan for teenagers

didn't romania stop being communist in the 80s?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my folks owned a towing company, so we had some form of cell phone from the early 90s on. a motorola bag phone that never got used, plus car phones in each of our cars/trucks. this was in hilly eastern kentucky, so we kept those truck phones until they shut down the amps network, because all the small digital phones would lose service out in the hollers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

not even just the first login

i ran windows update on my rog ally last night and when i rebooted it started trying to get me to do one drive and ms cloud poo poo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

suddenly remembered my first linux phone

motorola a780

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a truly converged device offering the speed of EDGE technology coupled with the open, flexible environment of Java and Linux to deliver the ultimate handset for both work and play

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

those pinout diagrams existed a: because the chip supplier probably had it in their contract - lowkey advertising for their sound chip - and b: because at some point somebody did a stupid proprietary pinout and somebody plugged in their standard floppy drive and it started a fire. Liability.

so tandy used a mostly standard floppy connector and cable. a normal floppy has all the data pins on the even pins, and all the odd pins are ground

tandy said gently caress that having a separate power cable, and used all standard even pins, but on the odd side they put +5v on 1-11 and +12v on 29-33.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i tried getting jellyfin to stream to a ps4 over dlna then said gently caress it and put kodi on a raspberry pi to be a frontend

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

those on demand greeting card printing appliances in department stores

i can't find any reference to them now, but i distinctly remember them being very plotter-like and fun to watch

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

card machines were early 90s. maybe 93?

they were plotters with swappable colors iirc. i dont think they worked with bitmaps, but more likely gcode as the plotter 'drew' your card

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

steam used to delete your home directory on linux

https://github.com/valvesoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

bug report by a banned yosposer

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Believe it or not, George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

divx, the dvds that had to phone home for a per-play license

flexplay, the dvds that decayed after 48 hours

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

even ATSC is shamefully compressed now

seems webdl is the top tier source these days

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

nope it's still blu ray remux

fair -- i guess i was thinking more about same-day sources

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the hp tablet was so nice

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

seeing the scsi terminator warning reminds me of the weird hp workstation i found in college that had a card in the bottom pci slot and was labeled "pci terminator"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i got expelled for selling msdos boot floppies with an autoexec.bat that would disable Fortress on windows 95 boxes. one reboot cycle to disable fortress, another to enable it. sold the floppies for $20 a pop to students and teachers alike

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

well, that was the straw that broke the camels back anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

windowblinds

because i desperately wanted windows 98 to look like mac os