Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Post
  • Reply
Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



web forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK what the gently caress I just got a loving lighter delivered to me (as a corruption) that has a lanyard. WHO WANTS TO PUT A LANYARD ON A LIGHTER, THE LANYARD IS LONG ENOUGH TO FIT AROUND YOUR NECK?!?!?

(Also there is literally no way to actually attach the lanyard to the lighter, I'm going mad :psyduck:

it was really common in nz in the 90s for white trash peeps to have leather necklace bic lighter holder things so they would be able to spark up a durry or cone at a moments notice

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Boxee Box

joost

antennagate

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



my first pc was a 486DLC with a VLB graphics card

I was jelly of peeps with 486 DXes but then a bit later my friends dad who worked at the university gave me a 486 DX4-100 and 20mb of ram. I guess I got some weirdo to switch out the mobo? I sure didn’t do it

anyway I was jealous of pci gfx cards and gave up on PCs due to being poor/discovering girls and drugs until my early 20s. so i missed the quake/hl era. welp

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



my posting career started here https://dogsonacid.com/

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk where I heard about SA from. Maybe a link on (shudders) fark to a photoshop phriday?

i loving loved jeff k and cliff yablonski which eventually lead me to the forums

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Jonny 290 posted:

astalavista.box.sk

what was this again

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



i am forced to use ddg because of google’s evil bullshit but the results are much, much, worse

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



cheque_some posted:

remember when instead of just a youtube link sites would have a video available for download in quicktime, realplayer, mpeg and like three other formats for you to pick from, and all the formats sucked

when youtube embeds starting popping up suddenly and they were in flash and video just loving played it was amazing

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



eschaton posted:

this was possible and worked well with QuickTime for nearly a decade before YouTube was introduced

the “fast start” movie layout that puts all chunk description atoms up front and orders them was first created to use with CD-ROM, which was originally only about three times as fast as 56K dialup; this let a movie play smoothly while being retrieved, as long as it didn’t need more bits/second than were coming down (possibly after some preroll)

then Apple not only added RTSP support to QuickTime in the mid-1990s, but also wrote an RTSP server that ran on UNIX and made it Open Source in like 1998-99 and could deliver tons of movies at once with the ability for users to scrub through them, jump anywhere, etc.

YouTube doing it all with Flash was a big step backwards

why wasn’t quicktime more widely used? did apple do some fuckery with licensing?

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Mr. Nice! posted:

i do this on everything except loving lexis because doing that just brings you right to the exact same point in the case or statute that you were looking at instead of opening up the actual link. you have to right click and click open in a new tab to get it to work right.

that’s cos it’s a blank link (an anchor tag) which is being intercepted by javascript. it’s not good practice to do it that way, so eat poo poo lexis

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003




microsoft is the worlds biggest producer of secondhand embarrassment

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



mystes posted:

Are you just talking about raw speech recognition or commands? If the former I agree that modern speech recognition has gotten much better than older software, but you still have to learn to adapt what you say if want to actually use siri/alexa/google assistant to do stuff sort of like learning a cli but with no documentation, which kind of sucks.

this is more of a limitation of Voice UIs as opposed to the actual speech recognition tho. Like, the tools I've used to create chat/voice bots need you to create an intent which is basically just a query with a variable, eg:

I need to book a hotel
> Ok, where do you want to stay?
Motel 6, Frostproof, Florida
> Ok, what date?
4/20, 2069
> Ok, booked!

but if you try

I need to book a hotel
> Ok, where do you want to stay?
Near the airport in New York
> Sorry, I don't understand
JFK Airport, New York
> I don't know about a hotel called 'JFK Airport'
gently caress u
> I don't know how to 'gently caress u'

etc


So the tools can transcribe speech well. But there's still quite a bit of work to do an NLP to make it more effective in an interactive session

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



N.Z.'s Champion posted:

that CEO blaming alternate realities and the Mandela Effect for software bugs and data entry mistakes


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPxDLMCUKM

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/tech-company-mandela-effect/

this guy looks like he is gonna cry/throw up the whole time

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Progressive JPEG posted:

rounded IDE cables to improve airflow

pretty sure i did some careful cutting of ribbon cables to make my own ‘rounded’ cables with zip ties

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



raid-0 boot drives
doing that thing where you only write to some part of a disk because the rotational velocity there gives you better seeks or throughput or something

i had a 36gb raptor 10,000 rpm as my boot volume and my frames were hella high :pcgaming:

i used to be mildly obsessed with I/O performance as i saw at as a massive failing in pc architecture. but then SSDs came and i was sated

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

speaking of no-cd cracks, those mini ISO images that you'd load in Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% or w/e that weren't the full disc, just enough data to fool the CD checks

i loved those

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Fart Sandwiches posted:

it just wouldn't surprise me. my partner's books are all hosted online and they disable copy paste by some insanely obfuscated javascript that I didn't feel like reversing because, ugh javascropt, so i wrote a lil thing that will screencapture each page as you visit it and run it through ocr. I have to do a bit of manual cleanup on it because of images, so i gotta figure out a way to automatically crop out images before attempting the ocr.

universities are just cruelty factories meant toi extract money from students who have no say in the matter

why dont you just disable js

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Jabor posted:

woah, there's a wall-sized mirror on your dog walking route?

:golfclap:

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



they were known as phablets then right

it kinda predated the ‘everyone is on their phone 90% of the day’ cultural shift tho

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



and of course all those blackberry tablets in a warehouse somewhere bricked themselves when their batteries ran down

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've only actually played Lylat Wars but I can't imagine the older ones being any better.

Star Fox Adventure is good.

aka star fox 64

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



mediaphage posted:

nintendogs

brain age

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



let’s not boil the ocean here

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



President Beep posted:

ancient antipodean saying?

no IT people in the 3 countries i’ve worked in (uk, aus, nz) say it regularly to mean ‘let’s limit scope’

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003




i watched this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and man it is hilarious how bad it is

160gb is deece tho

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



rotten.com

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



astalavista.box.sk

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the third-party download managers so that you could resume a big download when the dialup connection got interrupted for whatever reason

getright

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



steve deleting tony fadell from his contacts live on stage after he left to found nest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQ7oL9pIIU

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



my stepdads beer posted:

gamespy. planet quake. planet hexen. planet ... unreal?? every new game spawning a new planet site

I dropped out of school my junior year because I hated engineering and took a job being a systems administrator for the Vanderbilt Vision and Research Center. In my free time I would play a lot of Quake 2 and write about Quake 2. Around '98, GameSpy said, "Do you want to run PlanetQuake?" So I said, "Yeah, OK," and moved to Orange County. I got paid $24,000 a year to write about Quake 2.

Back then, the gaming community was pretty different. It was a very small collection of hardcore nerds. It's not like now, where everybody has an Xbox and plays online.

You had to be pretty nerdy. It was pretty difficult to play games online and it was all PC-only. Something Awful kind of spawned out of the Quake community. For whatever reason, PlanetQuake, even though it was about Quake, which was just a standard first-person shooter where you kill demons or whatever, had a huge element of goofing off. We both wrote a feature called Mailbag, which was like an old-school newspaper advice column. People would write emails and we would respond with something funny.

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



doublespace
windows media center
that thing in windows media player where you had a bunch of licenses to janitor with your music collection

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's worse than that it's my car lol

speaking of which, those 3.5mm to tape adapters you used to get because built in units hardly ever had an aux/your radio head unit was too poo poo to have one

in fact car stereos in general

when the two aren't synched then you get the classic "blow out your own eardrums" problem when you switch source/target and the volume is amped to max

what about those 3.5mm to radio transmitters that you could run your ipod through and then tune an fm frequency on your stereo to listen

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Volmarias posted:

Built in FM radio support on mobile devices.

i always wanted this unironically. and still do

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



klosterdev posted:

Microsoft Silverlight

wasn’t netflix silverlight only at first?

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Adobe/Apache flex

specifically the time someone at work told me that 'it's the future because we don't need to code complex UIs anymore"

and adobe air right? there was some weird period where every app and web app was either air or silverlight. the electron of its day I guess but vastly worse

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I swear I've seen "innovation" teams trumpeting their amazing chatbot that's going to be so "transformational" and all it requires is you to find it in our godawful electron based chat platform and then decode what is basically pseudo SQL syntax to ask a question and get the answer "idk maybe"

this is probably amazon lex behind the scenes. it’s basically the equivalent of a web form backed by a db. conversational interfaces are hard to do well, but very easy to fart out quickly using the lex tool chain

they can get a lot better quite quickly if you have a good team reviewing the data and iterating on the flows but not that many people get that far

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



obeyasia posted:

I got a wd raptor hard drive do I could game more better. Raptors was 10,000 rpm when most drives in the early 2000s we're 56 or 7800 rpm (I think). Mine was only 32gb and I could fit windows and doom 3 in it and I was happy.

https://louwrentius.com/an-ode-to-the-10000-rpm-western-digital-velociraptor.html

i did exactly this too and it made a pretty significant difference. i only had an athlon 2100 and some mid range video card but i got better frames than my buddies with nvidia tis.

ssds really were such a lifesaver when they came along

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Wild EEPROM posted:

if you want to complain about something, complain about pci-e card locks. usually the video card is so big that you can't even reach down to disengage the lock.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003



Achmed Jones posted:

a couple months ago I:

1. couldn't log in to my old live journal to delete it
2. bought the live journal password leak
3. the password it had was the one i had tried, so
4. re-subscribed to the email service i used to sign up for live journal with the same username
5. reset the password
6. extracted all the posts, comments, etc
7. deleted every post
8. marked the account for deletion
9. unsubscribed from that email service

overall i am happy with the results

lol at checking a password dump to remember your own password

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply