Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

remember that time I got the last thread gassed for posting a site that can be found just by googling "public webcam"

christ's sake this isn't some dark web black hat bullshit lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

that time a fitness tracker app revealed the location of a bunch of army bases

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

good because they all loving sucked

google was literally the first search engine that wasnt a piece of poo poo

how dare u besmirch the glory that was altavista with boolean operators

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

game publishers dragging their feet on releasing games on DVD

UT2K4 was like 5 CDs, but the limited super deluxe bonus edition was on DVD! and sold out within minutes, i had to pay a premium on ebay for it lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

torrents are loving awful for music, especially when ratio is a concern (as jonny outlined)

google play music for most things (funy tech poo poo: youtube music. someday i'll be switching to spotify), and soulseek for old or obscure stuff

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i'm reminded of the d programming language forums, which are blazing fast and kind of interesting

https://forum.dlang.org/

quote:

This website is powered by DFeed, an NNTP / mailing list web frontend / forum software, news aggregator and IRC bot. DFeed was written mostly by Vladimir Panteleev. The source code is available under the GNU Affero General Public License on GitHub: https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

This DFeed instance (forum.dlang.org) is a frontend to the DigitalMars NNTP server and mailing lists. Portions of the web interface (including style and graphics) are Copyright © by Digital Mars.

*lights up the rotor signal*

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY NNTP?!?!

cool it worked

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hey, regarding the DVD+/-R chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1mJv9pxm7M

i should probably throw out the few CDRs and DVDRs i've still got kicking around

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

that is some funny loving tech poo poo alright

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lmao

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

you know the stereotype of musicians or athletes blowing all their money on absurd bullshit when they get big? like shitloads of original art, exotic animals, etc?

if i ever land a shitload of cash out of the blue i'm spending it all on hosed up tiny computers. get me an original oqo, find a foleo prototype, get whatever that stupid brick of a netbook paul allen was involved with, buy every itty-bitty laptop GPD makes, clear out ebay of every last HP jornada. just me, naked in an empty mansion, surrounded by small bits of e-waste.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

cant even get out of bed nowadays without cracking an eye opener

(reaches over to nightstand, grabs a soldering iron and an i-Opener)

i couldn't remember what the i-opener was so searching for that led to this excellent wikipedia page which led to this funy tech poo poo i had forgotten, the sony mylo

quote:

My Life Online (mylo) was a device created and marketed by Sony for portable instant messaging and other Internet-based communications, browsing Internet web sites (using the Opera web browser)[1] and playback and sharing of media files. The pocket-sized, tablet-shaped handheld device, which debuted in 2006, had a screen which slid up to reveal a QWERTY keyboard. The brand name 'mylo' stands for My Life Online. Using Wi-Fi instead of cellular networks, the mylo was targeted to the 18–24 age group

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the unknowable horror of a world where apple went out of business in 2001.

smartphones would be so, SO loving bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i highly doubt it. might have had a slower start, but all the same people and technology would broadly exist, and things would have come together. quite possibly in a more interesting way without as clearly dominant design being aped.

reminder that this is what android was shaping up to be in 2006:

then the iphone came out a year later and google had to hastily square-peg round-hole their OS into a touch-oriented device.

you had blackberry and windows mobile for competition, plus palmos on life support with a DNR tag.

i think we would have been lurching through a morass of clunky blackberry-alikes for a very long time.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh hey this thread, i think this is worth crossposting. love grody old hosed up garbage like this:

SO DEMANDING posted:

I have vague memories of some grody thing that was socket 754, but with a monstrous daughterboard you could put 939 cpu in. Possibly had to move your memory to the daughtercard as well.

Oh poo poo, and in trying to find that board I found this beauty from, guess who, Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/mb/ULi/K8 Combo-Z/

DOUBLE oh poo poo, I found something even more hosed up (and maybe what I was originally thinking of) ECS made an LGA775 board that had a daughterboard you could put a 939 CPU in :psyboom:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Overview/EN/Motherboard/PF88 Extreme Hybrid -LL-V1-DO-1-RR-/Socket 775 -LL-Intel-RR-
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/1181-ecs-pf88-extreme-hybrid-mainboard/

Featuring ULi and SiS chipsets, respectively :barf:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

pocket devices with keyboards that can run a Linux are super interesting to me,

extremely same and I HAVE NO gently caress IDEA WHY SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

qirex posted:

they make terabyte sd cards now, I'm having difficulty imagining someone who has that many roms they'd need dual card slots

lol it has a resistive touchscreen. the longer this thing gets dragged on the shittier it looks.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

first forum I posted on was for The Sims back in like 2001. last I checked it still exists :pwn:

I don't know how the gently caress I ended up here. possibly from the "terrible secret of space" flash animation which linked to the original ICQ prank

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

crazysim posted:

it was pretty cool to see pre-release "non-public" developer screenshots of Sims 2 developer builds here before it was released.

*squints at username* you didn't post on a mildly popular sims forum ~19 years ago, per chance?

also that sounds neat, any more to the story? my interest in the sims fell off pretty rapidly so not surprised I didn't see that.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

apparently dr. giovanni now and happily doing research. very cool

astalavista was a rare breed then. a working search engine with useful results

so also rare now

lmao you're confusing altavista (search engine) and astalavista (:filez:)

altavista loving owned though, search engines are all trash now

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the present state of the internet by and large loving blows

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

google video

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

thanks imageshack

thx kthx.cx

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cross fukken post

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

and im honestly impressed that tshirt hell both exists and somehow got worse

eh, actually, that it still exists maybe i shouldn't be surprised it got worse what with how poo poo's been since 2016 or so

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

seeing 1600x1200 in the monitor preferences and wondering what kind of king or millionaire could ever own such a luxury

back around 2005 i had a dell 2001fp, and for a brief time was king poo poo of nerd mountain. that was a good-rear end monitor.

funy tech poo poo: that dell lcd replaced a beat to poo poo gateway-branded 17" trinitron that had probably been lugged to a few too many LAN parties. holy gently caress that was a dramatic improvement.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hell yea that was when i got my 2005FPW, which lasted me another 11 years. i still see people using those

oh poo poo that was a thing for a couple years, the big choice between standard or widescreen.

i, being an intellectual of sophistication and good taste, went with the 4:3 2001fp over the 2005fpd :smug:

i think the generation of monitors after that they still had 16:10 and 4:3 20" screens but most people started going with widescreen by then, the 4:3 may have even cost a bit more at that point (or just wasn't on sale as often)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i remember people figuring out how to pull those updates and it was like watching someone dry off with a towel on a sinking ship

i love grognards who refuse to give up dying or unsuported operating systems

there were the weirdos who used XP-x64, which iirc used the Server 2003 kernel so kind of actually wasn't XP and had various issues in running as an everyday system. maybe just driver availability issues? i dunno, but you were completely nuts to keep using it once 7 came out.

then you had POSready (lol) 2009, a version of XP intended for point of sale and poo poo along those lines, MS supported that up until just a few years ago. i think there was also some way to get the updates intended for posready and just use them on regular xp.

absolute degenerates

SO DEMANDING fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2021

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

yeah. when notepad++ dropped windows xp support there was a thread of screaming xp users, at least a few calling them classist for dropping support which, just keep using the version that works?

lmao how recent was this?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

everyone always hating on sony and their dumb proprietary flash memory formats, but what about olympus's XD format?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

quote:

The xD in the xD-Picture Card stands for eXtreme Digital.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

quicktime for windows

Volmarias posted:

Realplayer

quicktime alternative and realplayer alternative

install those along with defilerpack and media player classic, boom you're in ~2005 video-playing heaven

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

business card CDs

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

https://www.bryanbraun.com/after-dark-css/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Yeah that sounds right.

Remember that first time you loaded up your web browser after going from dial-up to broadband, and websites just... loaded?

yup

that was loving wild. click a link and...there's the page. it's there. you can read things or click more links, it's good to go, it just loving LOADED it's THERE holy CHRIST this changes everything

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my dad has a platter from one of those, it's bigger than a dinner plate

I think the story was someone dropped one of those spindles/cases full of platters...so uh, hey who wants a free computer tchotchke? cuz that's all these things are good for now!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

when the athlon XP came out in fall of 2001, AMD did some kind of road show in a dozen cities where they’d show up at dawn to raffle off 50 combo packs that came with a motherboard and the top tier cpu out of that lineup.

my friends and I went to a parking lot in a park at stupid o’clock, my roommate and I each won

then he and I tried to build the PCs out of them the next weekend. I completely shredded the poo poo out of my hand on roommate’s cheap case, I still have the scar 20 years later

funy tech poo poo: all sorts of things during the winxp era having "XP" in their name. like CD Burner XP. which is still available and getting updates, and still has that hilariously dated and meaningless name

pretty sure back then for a while i had the notion that athlon xp cpus only worked with winxp lol. eventually got an athlon xp 2400+ and ran win2k just fine! (i really should have been running xp at that point, i did at least upgrade when sp2 came out)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i had an athlon xp 2400+ and an asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard which was king poo poo top-tier overclocking material tied with abit.

after that i had an athlon 64 1800 an an epox uhhh...8rda something plus deluxe idr, also a highly regarded motherboard for overclocking and poo poo.

i never overclocked once and hardly took advantage of any of the bells and whistles those motherboards had, and both builds i had only half the memory is should have bought :downsbravo:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I did this exactly once

same

someone sent me a photo from their enormous brick of a windows mobile smartphone to my treo 650

it took a while and im still amazed it worked

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

years ago a coworker set his text alert tone to the win7 usb device connected sound

that got a twitch or two out of me

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

> funy tech poo poo u just remembered

lindows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSdRTOh2jeA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:hmmyes: