Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

nanaca crash for us. i still dont even know what anime it's based on.

i got a ridiculous run in nanaca crash once. during the run i just walked away from my computer he was hanging in the air so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

the manner in which warez was traded on AOL

well you just solved a 27 year old mystery for me. i went over to a friend's house as a kid, and his older brother was playing DOOM II. he explained that you could just download the game from aol.

so i told my folks that you could get software for free on aol, and they were like... 'uhhhhhhh, sure kid.' so i tried to prove them wrong by searching aol's weird file hosting system, but of course, there was only fan art and other bullshit for DOOM.

i always wondered how that was set up back then

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

shoeberto posted:

SNICK was the coolest poo poo in the 90s. Me and my friends would make an event of watching it when we were like 7-8ish. It was a bit of marketing wizardry to make that feel edgy and cool alongside selling Mattel toys or whatever.

can confirm. just as i was approaching an age that was too old for nickelodeon, they were like 'these shows are for mature young adults only!' and it completely worked

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i stayed after school in 3rd grade so i could program a logo script that animated

AC / DC

onto the screen, in colors. then did hypercard games through middle school

didn't touch programming again until grad school, and now app sales pay my bills

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

I remember seeing rips of launch Dreamcast games being sold by bootleggers when the Dreamcast came out.

i don't think i every played a dreamcast game that wasn't burned on a cheap cd

i wonder why the console failed

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dreamcast had sould calibur and mr driller. that alone makes it one of my favorite consoles of all time

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

my first time installing new hardware, specifically a voodoo 3 2000 so I could play deus ex :allears: cut the poo poo out my hand in our crappy gateway case

when we read instructions on how to open our powermac 9500 it said to be careful because it usually made people bleed

we laughed and then all proceeded to cut our hands one-by-one on that cursed box

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair i had an xplod

in the music studios at my old university, we used someone's home-made XPLOD speaker as a doorstop

it was a box of nailed-together plywood, with that gaudy red XPLOD speaker. we found it on the side of the road and gave it a second life

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

every time i see tall key keyboards i think of the 3d tutorial videos i watch

*nasal muttering* you're gunna want to rename this 'arm_l' [KCL CKC KCL CK CCKCKL CLK] and... uh... [KKC CKLH CKL KKCK CKCK] ...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

also tidal kept recommending music i’d never listen to. it’d see me listening to pink floyd and death metal and recommend my lil pump

this was my favorite moment when i tried apple music. it looked at my library of space rock, 70s prog, metal, and indian classical music, and it recommended five songs...

...four of which were the same cristina aguilera song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

yeah they focus on like, not ipads and stuff for obvious reasons but they also offer advice for those

the engineering students on my campus do this and it rules. they just set up a tent in the common area and all the old people in the neighborhoods surrounding it haul in bigass fans and rice cookers and it's a big 'ol party