Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
google fiber

mostly because nooo slo can't get it, even free, because its its too remote, despite being the west coast landing for pac, pc1, japan-us, southern crossing, cap1, and probably a bunch i don't touch

i think kansas city got it instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i missed radioshack chat but my solution was to just buy the place out by getting the 70-90% closing discount if i purchased the cabinets whole and rolled them out to the car

got all the soldering and arduino stuff too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

that’s a good score, the hoarder inside me says, next to boxes of my own unused components.

it has been exactly like you said, currently it is in a storage shed since a kiddo took over the room

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

the local indy apple shop had a se/30 as a door stop and I happened to go in on their last day of business before going online only and they said i could have it

it looked like a rotting lemon covered in scuffs but somehow worked fine, had iisi rom, a asante ethernet card, 32mb ram and macdraft

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

aye, and they're big knee pads to fill let me tell you

nothing wrong with using correct ppe for the jobs

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the parallel port was so under-appreciated

without dma a parallel laplink cable would softlock a win98se box during the transfer...at 230kbps

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

32bit bus? mmu? don't need em when you only have 6mb ram

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i had a soundblaster extigy (usb 1.1) and with enough hand curation of msconfig and tuning drivers, you could get the asio latency down to just over 15ms solid so it played vst softsynths okay

I actually recorded a demo with an audigy 2 zs platinum pro (imagine the drive bay unit but in an external enclosure) that thing could bang out 2ms latency if you had a multi-cpu machine, which as I recall was better than anything digidesign had at the time

funny tech poo poo is leaving the old guitar center in san jose after demoing the digi Control24HD or something and going straight to the computer store next door and getting the audigy unit, recorded that demo at about 2am the next day

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I remember that exact template on my dad's pc just from the color scheme

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

crossquotin' from PYF

i guess that goes beyond shotgunning modems and into gatling gun :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

that's perfect bmw yep lol.

my favorite one:

bmw's new cars have the alternator connected to the engine with an electromagnetic clutch. this is because the alternator load of 2/3 of a horsepower translates into like a 0.1 mpg reduction in fuel economy. so to minmax that figure, the cars are designed to disconnect the alternator from the engine under certain conditions.

when they introduced this system, it was designed to turn off during highway cruise. that boosted the highway mpg and recharging when driving in the city, when mpg is already lower, would be fine. great!

except they programmed this based on european driving patterns. europeans don't drive on highways anywhere near as much as americans -- so with an american driving pattern, the alternator was disconnected a far greater fraction of the time than they had planned for. after a few months of the cars being on sale in the usa, it was found that they were killing their batteries through perpetual undercharge. well, that sucks. easy fix though right? reprogram the logic?

well no, because that would change the fuel economy. only by a fraction of an mpg, but it would require recertifying the cars and potentially assigning a new fuel economy number. that would open them up to people demanding refunds, claims of false advertising, federal investigations into whether they were faking their numbers -- this was right after vw dieselgate. bmw didn't want to deal with any of that poo poo.

so the solution was: the battery is now a wear item. there is no mitigation, and that generation of bmws kills their battery every six to nine months if driven in a normal american driving cycle. bmw just replaces them with new ones whenever the cars come in for service. rip if you own one out of warranty lol

the irony is that everyone else uses either ECU control of the field current to do this electronically (honda, mazda), or an overrun clutch that breaks a lot (ram no way)