Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the hd noise from my rig was starting to bug me so when a bunch of 870s went on sale i stocked up and transferred everything. now the only sound my rig makes is the fans which i plan on switching over to liquid eventually

at least one of the hdd stack is from exactly that. I'm not gonna go down the water cooling rabbit hole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

no-cd cracks. in college I bought hit man 2 (original obv), installed the no cd crack, re-shrink wrapped the box at the suncoast a friend worked at, carefully reapplied the original price sticker, and returned it.

this also worked with cdrwin to copy PlayStation games at 1x speed in freeware mode to return to electronics boutique.

return policies used to be so permissive and now they're not for some reason 🤨

I figured out that you could buy their preorders which came with bonus reward points then return the game and keep the points. I also often managed to actually finish the game inside the 7 day return window on account of being a teen with nothing better to do.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

just remembered quibi

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I actually own one of these: https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

it was useful on the train where streaming wouldn't work except a) i haven't got the train in over a year and b) my phone now does a better job of the streaming and storage parts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/tech/microsoft-underwater-data-center/index.html

they say it had 1/8th the rate of hardware failures as land based equipment

oh is that what a data lake is?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i just remembered this prestigious UX university

that's Greenwich naval college in the background what the gently caress

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Fileshack, the file hosting site that has a decrepit shack as its logo.

Grover started an image hosting site?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have a curved TV and it's fine, gently caress the haters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

President Beep posted:

yeah right. noone has one of those.

Outrageous accusations itt

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah if you've ever been in a cab with a driver who's got a Bluetooth headset and seems to be having a constant bored conversation the whole time, barely acknowledging you when you get in and leave, it's likely his wife on the phone for the aforementioned reason. Idk why it's common but it's a thing

my friends and I joked they were running sex chat lines

Programmer Humor posted:

microsoft dropping playsforsure, making the content unplayable

I wanna say that I remember getting some prompt in win media player about this and it went and removed the DRM on existing tracks. It only worked if you played them though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I was actually pretty stoked for the parahelia (iirc), since they were working with a game company making what would eventually become Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Unfortunately, that game basically got cancelled then uncanceled then delayed and I just didn't feel like it was worth it to have multiple monitors just to have multiple monitors at that point, since I didn't understand the value of having multiple monitors yet.

pretty sure I got that game through :filez: and it was a perfectly ok space strategy with dreadful plot and cutscenes attached

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lightscribe or whatever that thing was that let you burn labels on the top of a disc, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

to be clear, it ran about as well as you would expect of IE5 being run through some kind of reverse-WINE setup, which is to say barely at all

iirc it was also packaged in an manner that reflected MSFT’s lack of understanding of UNIX and took some major janitoring to make it work

I thought requiring major janitoring to work was the whole basis for unix

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

What is this

it's what happens when your turn your monitor off

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Midjack posted:

come on, i know you've seen this image. look at his right thigh:

lol. read it every time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Gold plated TOSLINK cables.

idk know why it reminds me but I find it bizarre that some Bluetooth audio connections treat the source volume and amp volume as separate so you can change the volume independently in two places even though the actually signal amplitude is irrelevant

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

In real life, it's a drat Bluetooth speaker with questionable sound quality anyway.

it's worse than that it's my car lol

speaking of which, those 3.5mm to tape adapters you used to get because built in units hardly ever had an aux/your radio head unit was too poo poo to have one

in fact car stereos in general

Ruffian Price posted:

yeah ideally you want to keep the source volume at max and change it on the speaker so it's not mostly noise floor either

when the two aren't synched then you get the classic "blow out your own eardrums" problem when you switch source/target and the volume is amped to max

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

everything else sounds like absolute poo poo!! do not attempt, nothing sacred is stored here.

gonna label my old mix CDs of Napster ripped low nitrate mp3s in a box saying "this is not a place of honour, no tunes of value are buried here"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

people who say warez like Juarez

also saying the word warez out loud for any reason

idk I know it's wrong but "call of warez" has a ring to it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

astalavista.box.sk

had lots of video game piracy poo poo like cracks or no cd tools, but was always a risk cause you never knew what you were really downloading

NOCD cracks omg

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

using software to fake mount an ISO as a cd drive

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

In case no one has brought it up yet: FADE

this is actually really clever and the "gradually gets less accurate" bit is pretty funny

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have seen just this week a file loader for a billion dollar process written in VBA and submitted to auditors as evidence of...idk what to be honest but if it was me I'd fail it on general principles

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

logo was the absolute poo poo. I remember getting told to just go do some logo stuff with another kid at school because we'd basically finished the work for that term

iirc we named all our drawing like draw, draw1, draw2, draw1-2 etc. Setting up for a fine career in shameful programming

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

look at jon richardson here, too anal to use the Standard Naming Scheme (i.e. asd, asdfa, asfasfsfa, asasfsfsds, etc.)

I remember seeing Jon Richardson before he hit the big time at a weekly comedy night in a pub in Bristol called The Hatchet but he didn't mention logo at all!!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Microsoft Silverlight

Adobe/Apache flex

specifically the time someone at work told me that 'it's the future because we don't need to code complex UIs anymore"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tk posted:

It’s true everything is a chat bot these days.

lol don't even

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I swear I've seen "innovation" teams trumpeting their amazing chatbot that's going to be so "transformational" and all it requires is you to find it in our godawful electron based chat platform and then decode what is basically pseudo SQL syntax to ask a question and get the answer "idk maybe"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I remember some guy bussing in his friends server full of all sorts of pirate stuff to connect up to the local network for one weekend only.

ofc it got slammed and nobody could download anything because the actually network speed was still bad but it was cool in theory

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have a cool gamer mouse and I never use any of the extra buttons except forward/back because i just can't think of any button I click that often for it to be useful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

idk if I imagined this or maybe even posted it before, but when the best way of listening to 'high quality' streaming music was youtube.

I actually think though that most modern music videos released via youtube do actually have decent, if not genuinely good, audio quality.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wow everything is cyclical after all, first this guy and now The Zuck

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

the zalman reserator, a fanless pump/reservoir/radiator for the first wave of "silent" PCs circa 2004:

also, xoxide which is where I stole that image from

I kind of miss crazy poo poo like this, and self immolating athlons and fiddling with front side bus settings (to avoid granny clocking) and building a new machine every 18 months. now you just put the parts together into a massive monolith of a case, turn it on and you don't need to touch it for another 8 years :corsair:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i plugged in the cable for one of those creative live drive things incorrectly once and it actually incinerated the cable

I had one of those I got for dirt cheap, man that was a lot of useless i/o

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

uh asus rog x570. it's not trash. it just has annoying ram clips. hth

maybe you should vote for a new leader for the Democratic Republic of Gamers and tell them?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

non-circular cds

those incredibly fast cd drives that would detonate cheap CDs and blow plastic shards everywhere

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

"What is the last password you remember using," asks the account recovery process for something that almost certainly had a shared password with some dumb bullshit 10 years ago.

"Lol," you reply. "Lmao!"

That is incorrect, the process solemnly intones 3-5 business days later

our "I forgot my password/locked my account" process at work used to require that you used a second password to reclaim the first one.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ah yes the kitchen counter, the computer's natural environment

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Haha, man. Makes me think of all those lovely GPS systems that had a DVD player in the trunk or something.

that was just because it was the easiest way to get switchable map packs. Iirc you could get compact flash map sets around 2000. now of course it's just an SD slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gabensraum posted:

On Acorns (RiscOS) the middle button was the context menu and used more. The right button was similar to the left button but behaved how it does in Windows if you're holding the control key (selecting/deselecting items in a set).

Individual applications would also make use of all three buttons since they were guaranteed to be present and users were primed to using them.

oh my god riscOS that's what we had at my school and why I remembered 3 button mice from about 10 years before I ever saw one anywhere else