Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
obsessing about getting TWO plextor drives in my machine so I could do whatever their direct copy technology was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol if you had a USB Flash Drive in 2003 and didn't make the volume label MAGIC_STICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMlvKbbLGc0

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also remember using CDRWIN for bin/cue files and if you tried to crack it, it would act like it worked then silently create coasters :xd:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
NiN farmer :black101:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember they tried to act like 5hey were still #FarmFit when they moved their offices to California. their cow gimmick was their best thing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
hell yeah got an urge to make some bulleted lists of my web site’s LINKS

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
every time I see that guy’s face I think it’s Ken Williams from Sierra Online, who apparently is now a yachting blogger.
I had a friend talking about boats and poo poo and mentioned him and i was like “the game guy? whose wife posed in the hot tub of the adult game?” yeah, speaking of tech poo poo that’s a blast from the past

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

every once in a while i randomly remember CDRWin

(my cowardly doctor insists its terminal nerd brain)

acting like you cracked it successfully then cranking out coasters will never not be funny

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the timex watch that synced your schedule by blasting your CRT at its face.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i sure fucken do

remember the multi io cards that had 2 serial ports, a printer port, ide and floppy all on one?

fucken game changers

hell yeah COM4 krew represent!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol what loving universities and books used these clickers? all the Gen Ed / large lecture hall style classes at (top 50) university didn’t have them so trying to figure out if I got lucky, timed it right, or it was especially linked to certain subject / publisher

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

lmao id reinstall that garbage for this

getting kicked off DCs because I used blackclaw DC++ so I could not saturate my connection and they’d get real mad about which package version you ran.

also weirdos who would question why you downloaded stuff like “why did you grab that HD ts stream? do you actually have a way to decode it?!”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rambus RDRAM. Man intel had some great hardware bets in early 2000 between Itanium, Rambus, and Netburst.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

In case no one has brought it up yet: FADE

incredible

also I figured I had already said this so copying:

Hed posted:

I also remember using CDRWIN for bin/cue files and if you tried to crack it, it would act like it worked then silently create coasters :xd:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

Macromedia Authorware

this looks cool, like some win 3.1-era labVIEW thing skinned in win98. who used it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

best thing about parallel zip drives was that they were actually scsi drives with a scsi <-> parallel bridge jammed in there. lmao

that’s funny. we had a couple zip plus!s that could I guess detect the pinout and operate in either mode. lol that the BOM was basically the same as the parallel one.

thing was super loving fast when used with scsi though. shame external 25pin was pretty rare by then.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
that’s awesome, I used Scour back in 1998 or so but had no idea how it worked. clever to scan uni ranges

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
that reminds me as a kid I thought tuner cards were cool. you could watch TV on the same monitor as you did windows!

and my dad asked me “why would I want to turn my $3000 computer into a $300 TV?”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

scsi cards were absolutely a thing for PCs, they just cost more.

I have a drawer of adapter 2940 and 3940 variants (all the way to U2fast2furious) that I just can’t bring myself to get rid of.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember that you could get assigned one of the cool platinum //e's at school, or you'd be stuck on one of the old yellow converted //+'s and they'd have that power light down next to the open apple key that would get real hot cause apple just used a flashlight bulb lol

Yes! I remember touching that and being like wtf

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

And one of their next immediately subsequent products, the Cliq

absolutely not reading the room or having self critical awareness at all

lol Iomega also started marketing a CD-R / -RW drive Called the “Zip 650” since they were getting their rear end handed to them by the late 90s by cheaper and ubiquitous optical drives.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lunatic fringe was so much fun

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

those SIMM stackers so you could take 4 slow-rear end 30-pin SIMMs and plug them into a 72-pin slot. DRAM was like $100/MB back then so I get it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
mine is still Smoke_Weed_Everyday.m4r

This has got me thinking there’s probably a lot of Win95 Plus! sounds to be used like the Error “car tire screech” from one of the themes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
you could engage with DellDudeSteve on AOL. I should see if I have any chat logs.

I knew one guy at work ten years ago and having a convo over IM was basically like talking to an AIM chat bot. it was uncanny

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
seeing that wiki page talk about experimentation yielded that tabs of “2 to 4 spaces were optimal” got me thinking they should compromise at 3.

then I remembered the funny tech poo poo when ATM standardized on 48-byte cells since Europe and US wouldn’t compromise between 32 and 64.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

remember when you could search some magic words for oreilly bookshelf cdroms that had all the ebooks in them, and find a ton of colleges and businesses accidentally exposing their poo poo online

and then get free access to any oreilly book by just surfing ppls libraries

that ruled

libraries that had those towers of CDROM drives that you could just map as D: through Q:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
personal ISP-hosted websites in the '90s that would all load different versions of XFILES.MID that sounded real bad on my FM synth card

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Unterminated cable ends jizzing EM radiation sounds to the level that it would interfere with aircraft sounds like bullshit, but I don't know enough to refute it

Yeah it emits VHF and the FAA gets pissed. but also it’s good plant maintenance because if RF is leaving your HFC network it’s also not going to perform well.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

these little things were a lot of fun for 2009-2011. I could travel with it, it was powerful enough to play Altitude, and it was my first couchputer

Then I got an MBA :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The original "genie" radio commercials said win95 could run in about 8 MB of RAM. Not sure about late 1995 but at least a few years earlier it was $100 / MB

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

chaosbreather posted:

holy poo poo i remember taskbar, man that was weird poo poo

https://rockthetaskbar.ytmnd.com/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wait the internet archive gets revenue from web crawling services? Like they get paid to have bots surf the web?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's a mod for adding an aux port to GM head units that hooks into the FM side, so that when you plug into the aux port it switches from the radio to what you've got in the aux port

I got the aux adapter thing for my XM Skyfi in my Sierra circa 2005. it was pretty slick, click the aux input, would power up the satellite receiver and sounded great (for compressed sat rad). The SkyFi also used the old universal mount for my Nokia 7160 cradle lol.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

good job switching their names

either you are 180 years old or youre 20

i tried for a while but gettin papers & tobacco seprately became too much of a job.

I confused the hell out of who was who until my kids watched one that had a letter to Jerry signed TOM CAT. now it makes sense.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

loving screensavers

I had the obligatory matrix one and it had some opengl mode that just killed my gpu to render green text

the fake BSOD one for Windows NT actually worked the disk and stuff. over and above.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a 7160 (GSM / Cingular version) and I don’t remember a spring but I do remember T9 and being able to text like a mofo.

also the slide/extension thing meant the model had 3 different boards that all had to be lined up. not great for a phone that was under a lot of mechanical stress

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
bragging about constant angular velocity CD readers.

“52X MAX” was good for shattering the football shaped disc you got at a trade show

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

burning swine posted:

tax: MyIE2, the first tabbed browser, which was released as an extension of internet explorer 4

heady, stupid days

kind of miss these stupid crowded interfaces with colorful icons, panes and search bars everywhere. just like look at all that stuff I could potentially click on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

lol god i had so many palmos devices starting with the pilot pro and ending with the m515, which is still around somewhere. i think the internal battery is dead though

loved that form factor

idk why i had them even, i didn't even really do much with em

hell yeah. still the best PIM ever