Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leperflesh posted:

if I could click on someone's gang tag and get taken to a random post by some other poster who also uses that gang tag

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

in a well actually posted:

a pity it didn’t last longer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i don't want rural, but i don't want urban either.

i want a small town with a healthy restaurant/shopping district near a train with access to whatever the nearest city is.

look for a city of about 100k and then don’t live downtown

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you can take a 30 minute train ride in Boston and get to Boston

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

samuraize

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bad rear end

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

ps3 and xbox 360 are not retro because they are like 2005 or something and its currently the year 2007 so it doesn’t meet the cutoff

they can be retro when the next college football video game comes out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i ran a bash.org clone for the trad games irc server

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmaorf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is imo very appropriate comedy that we have already moved bluesky to this thread

Yeah lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

docks are a neat idea imo and i wish those phone/tablet dock things hadnt been so lovely

phock

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GetRight Download Manager

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hahahahhaha copy mother fuckin con

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I had to use COPY CON <enter the whole thing line by line with no mistakes not even using the backspace key> to update autoexec bat or control sys or something on one or two DOS machines back in the day because of things like an incomplete DOS install. If the folder with utilities like Edit is missing, you can still use the COPY CON command to direct the console entry to a file. It replaces the file, though, so you get one shot at it.

you get one shot do not miss your chance to code

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

(quebec) sonne-décrisse [ring-fuckoff] — straightforward and uses charming local swear words in a load-bearing manner.

seems good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

First of May posted:

bragging about having 2 whole gigabytes of hard drive space (across three drives)

Shittttt I remember how blown away i was when we got a 4.3GB hard drive

our first computer was a kaypro, 2 floppy drives for WordStar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

outhole surfer posted:

vast has a lot of good pitches. i'm fighting hard to land on vast instead of weka a work

anyone remember fusion io aka woz's last stand

db server at $job-1 had fusion io

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder how hosed up my computer would get if I reclaimed A: for what is currently C.

try it an report back after being forced to nuke your drive and fully rebuild

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

outhole surfer posted:

remember how apartments and offices advertised any broadband as t1, well past 1.544mbit being considered slow

Getting tickets in to enable the T1 lines in the office in 2010 (patch in the ethernet jack)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armitag3 posted:

didn’t know unpowered LCDs were that reflective

hah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i still use foobar on occasion

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

when "cigarette lighter" was the de facto standard for powering accessories in cars

what a fuckin funny era

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

that's perfect bmw yep lol.

my favorite one:

bmw's new cars have the alternator connected to the engine with an electromagnetic clutch. this is because the alternator load of 2/3 of a horsepower translates into like a 0.1 mpg reduction in fuel economy. so to minmax that figure, the cars are designed to disconnect the alternator from the engine under certain conditions.

when they introduced this system, it was designed to turn off during highway cruise. that boosted the highway mpg and recharging when driving in the city, when mpg is already lower, would be fine. great!

except they programmed this based on european driving patterns. europeans don't drive on highways anywhere near as much as americans -- so with an american driving pattern, the alternator was disconnected a far greater fraction of the time than they had planned for. after a few months of the cars being on sale in the usa, it was found that they were killing their batteries through perpetual undercharge. well, that sucks. easy fix though right? reprogram the logic?

well no, because that would change the fuel economy. only by a fraction of an mpg, but it would require recertifying the cars and potentially assigning a new fuel economy number. that would open them up to people demanding refunds, claims of false advertising, federal investigations into whether they were faking their numbers -- this was right after vw dieselgate. bmw didn't want to deal with any of that poo poo.

so the solution was: the battery is now a wear item. there is no mitigation, and that generation of bmws kills their battery every six to nine months if driven in a normal american driving cycle. bmw just replaces them with new ones whenever the cars come in for service. rip if you own one out of warranty lol

lmfao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Manzoon posted:

There are absolutely mouse pads with RGB strips running along the edge now.

ground effects mouse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

she jabber my friendster until i orkut

Kitfox88 posted:

[EXTREMELY LOUD MICROSOFT TEAMS ALERT SOUND]

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

that was probably the last time there was a concerted effort by big businesses to fix a big problem. during/after 08, they all realized they could just let the steamroller hit them and pass the costs off onto the consumer and government without any repercussions

time_t got outsourced to the Linux dudes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zamujasa posted:

if it was outsourced to the british would it be t_time :dadjoke:

:haw:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Now there’s a design decision

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

shhh you'll resummon him

wasn’t expecting a morkai joke but here we are

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kitfox88 posted:

sick as loving hell dual touchscreen briefcase computer is cyberpunk as poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zamujasa posted:

talk about going off on a wild tangent! :dadjoke:

u fuckre

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've never zapped a component into oblivion but one time i had a computer case open in the high school computer lab to show someone the different components and someone else yelled "hey let's play craps", picked up the screws, tossed them into the case like a handful of dice, and that computer never worked again vOv

lol rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, it's now 2024, lol if your idiot kids open all the rare lootboxes instead of building a portfolio of lootbox opening videos