Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Trying to play Dead Rising and Chromehounds on a 27" Magnavox regular rear end CRT is what made me drop $1000 for a 32" 720p Samsung LCD. That text was almost legible if you squinted just right.

I stupidly put one of those credit card shaped CDs into an old HP PC and it annihilated that CD drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

devmd01 posted:

waiting for the TV guide to roll back around to the channels you wanted

I had fully repressed this goddamn.

Watching infomercials Saturday morning waiting for cartoons to come on. I think this has directly contributed to how I have reorganized my life to avoid commercials as much as possible.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Download managers, for when mom picks up the phone interrupting the download of that postage stamp sized 1.2 MB Dragonball z clip you were going to watch after lunch.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

this is incorrect. it was a dbz clip with linkin park dubbed over it

This was so much earlier than AMVs for me. This was the web-ring era.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Kitfox88 posted:

my first time installing new hardware, specifically a voodoo 3 2000 so I could play deus ex :allears: cut the poo poo out my hand in our crappy gateway case

I discovered what I think is the world of lovely power supplies when I installed a GeForce 2 into an off the shelf HP to run quake 3 better. I had to keep the weird access bay with the CD drive and floppy drive slid out because the card was so long in the weird form factor of the case.

Q3 would load and run for about 5 seconds before locking up.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

The guy that I met at a 2010 college house party who was an employee at BestBuy who was a walking tech article and would not shut up about his "3d ready PC".

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i worked on some of those 3d display controllers that were shameless hype vehicles and let me tell you even tho no one ever used them the paychecks deposited in my bank account just the same.

Gotta get paid, don't blame you at all. The hype was very funny because a buddy of mine bought some LCD shutter 3d glasses that worked with his regular rear end CRT monitor back in like '99.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Agile Vector posted:

and that ghostery was the one to claim adblock was extorting ad companies while they had their own 'what you blocked' data collection and resale program. ghostrank was opt-in or easily disabled and more transparent but still lol, lmao

Haha, I did not know this. I had heard AdBlock was selling access to their whitelist to ad companies, but didn't know where that first came out.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

If there is a paper you really want to read but it's paywalled, there is a good chance of getting a copy if you contact the authors with a good reason for wanting to read it.

I used to room with a few physics PhD candidates and one of them had some complex thoughts on the academia paywall problem. Mostly they speculated if it was all freely available then the not insignificant hosting fees would 100% be taken from the already slim research grant supply. If we lived in a better world this wouldn't be an issue because scientific research would have a lot more funding.

Everyone of them would get insane emails and physical letters regularly, because every crackpot in the country apparently just loves trying to get anyone, in any physics department, to support their latest free energy machine.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

in a well actually posted:

hosting fees? fuckin arxiv exists and runs on like a half million a year

also sci hub lol

Yeah beats me, I have no idea. Nothing's free and I have no clue what the entire body of government funded work costs to host or how much insane screaming would happen if any budgets were moved around for it.

Maybe it's easy!

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Good! I had no idea! Hope it works out and just the hosed up journals get screwed in the process.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Oh God, this dredged up some ancient memories of playing around with Dr. Halo III on DOS way back in the day.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I still have a very old, very tiny Sony Vaio notebook computer that was very expensive at the time. This was pre-netbook days. Kind of sucked poo poo but was great for taking notes in class and playing SimCity 2000 on. Could run WoW back in the day with tons of crazy graphical errors.

Built in memory card slot and came with an external DVD drive hahaha.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

njsykora posted:

if you want a dedicated music player they’re probably your best option now apple’s fully killed the ipod

I looked into those a month ago or so when I wanted to get something nicer than a SanDisk. Some of them still have proprietary cables and software so that was a non-starter. Also very expensive compared to how much memory they had.

Options these days for pocket audio players are functional SanDisks with weird memory limitations, nearly $1000 boutique things, or an endless slog of way too cheap products with random 4 letter brand names.

Let me know if anyone knows better.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

polyester concept posted:

just use your phone, op

I don't like to, I like having physical buttons I can push in a pocket. Those little SanDisks have batteries that last for a couple of weeks between charges.

I'll probably be forced to one of these days.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

that makes me wonder if anyone makes a bluetooth device with physical buttons thats just designed to control the audio app like a remote control

edit: there are!

I did have some decent earbuds with the inline controls that were nice, I know there's options for phone controls like that but the utility I get from having a $40 mp3 player is handy.

Thinking about a big Bluetooth enabled knife switch now...

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Volmarias posted:

Reaching behind the electronics cabinet that was further back than you could see, blindly fumbling around in the hope that you could actually figure out not only which port was which, but that you could actually plug in without being able to see it. The delays setting up videogames consoles was truly remarkable.

Setting the TV to channel 4 to play video games, since there was no way to switch how it handled inputs.

Disconnecting the VCR to hook up the Nintendo, then forgetting to put it back, and the death glares from my mother that this earned me every time she missed an episode of something.

Going over to a friend's house and flipping between channel 3 or 4 trying to get the Nintendo to work.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I built a new PC in December, my last PC was probably around 8 years old, and the ati 6700xt PCB is much larger than my slightly newer Nvidia 1050ti I put in as an upgrade in that old computer.

Also lol'd at the M2 slot that is hidden underneath my new GPU on the motherboard. I also thought we'd finally left ribbon cables behind us but the nice power supply I bought had nothing but awkward as hell ribbon cables.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

echinopsis posted:

games where you had to waggle the joystick as fast as possible to win

My favorite thing about this was when Nintendo shipped gloves to people that complained about Marios Party rubbing their palms bloody with the joystick spinning games.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

when I worked as a grocery bagger as a teen we also had to offer to take the groceries out to the customer’s car and load them into the trunk. that poo poo is unheard of now lol. sometimes we even got tips :clint:

This still happens at the Publix closest to me. It seems intermittent and more based on quantity of groceries, how busy the store is, and age of the person buying them. Usually every other week if I have a full cart the bagger offers to help.

No other grocery store in the area ever did that though.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shaggar posted:

i worked at a harris teeter in high school (1 million years ago) and it was unofficial policy to offer it for large carts if we werent busy. mostly it was for old folks which i was cool with, but then you'd have people who would always demand it and those people always sucked rear end and would get mad if you didnt load it the exact way they wanted. just the worst

It's a newish store which was why I thought it was offered, but also the first Publix to move into the region. I assume they have some big corporate mandates. My county is some weird battleground for a lot of grocery store chains which I think keeps most of them on their toes regarding extra perceived customer bonuses like helping put your groceries away.

I have never seen anyone working at a Harris teeter, food lion, or lowes food offer that which is why it stood out so much.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Radio Shack talk reminded me of Circuit City going under and trying to get cool deals on anything but they had already sold their entire inventory to some large scale liquidator so everything was basically MSRP.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Installing quake 2 demo on a grade school friend's older brother's computer and hiding the install directory in a random folder. Playing it and remarking how much cooler it would look with a 3d accelerator because all the particles would be round instead of square.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Very excited for the day I can type "search engines" here because 99.99% of the searchable content on the web will be SEO chatGPT nonsense. Gonna be searching TikTok like all the kids.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

[90s educational rap] Don't copy that floppy! [/90s education l rap]

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

rotor posted:

moving away from replaceable standard battery types was a huge mistake imo.

I had an LG G5 with the removable bottom edge and user replaceable battery that slid in there. I got a second battery with a rebate and I used that phone for 6+ years until both batteries only lasted about 30 minutes screen time. poo poo ruled.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

AtomD posted:

google nexus q

Just reminded me of my old nexus 7 tablet. Seemed fine at first but apparently the flash storage on board was really cheap, it would slow the tablet down to a crawl the closer it got to being full. It eventually became inoperable and froze when I tried to factory reset and Google wanted me to pay $100 up front to ship it to them for repair. I just bought a Samsung tablet on sale that never had any issues as a replacement.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

kitten smoothie posted:

there were two nexus 7s, the 2012 one was had garbage flash and was nigh on unusable nine months later

then the 2013 model was the exact opposite; thinner, better battery, better everything. I finally got rid of it in 2020 because even in its last years with no updates it was a great reader device

It was this. I think I had the cheaper smaller storage on on top of that too. Don't get me wrong, I used it a lot but once that memory started filling up it would crawl. I'd be able to go in and delete a bunch of apps and junk but with the way apps were bloating (looking at you Gboard) it was becoming untenable. It restarted one day to do an Android update and it never started back up.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Leperflesh posted:

you guys know there are like, up to date maps of each carrier's coverage, right? like we're literally talking about maps
For example:
https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

The issue I have with losing coverage isn't the loss of map data (because I download it) but rather the loss of traffic data... including road closures. My wife and I were driving in western Montana and Google tried to take us up and over a mountain on a road that was closed like 15 miles up, just a big snowbank and a plowed spot to turn around. Delayed us by a couple hours as we backtracked to take another route and it was hard to make google actually plot another route since it kept insisting we could go up that closed road. So, like, even when you have traffic data it isn't always accurate, but it seems like it's getting better all the time especially with Google consuming Waze alert data etc.

Just pointing out that this is marketing information more than practical and there are still lots of small local dead spots that would not show up on such a zoomed out perspective of the theoretical coverage. Also speaking from experience with Verizon and living close to a tower but still not being able to get calls sometimes.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

This drat thing never did get my quake2 CD back in working order.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Volmarias posted:

I mean look at this poo poo and tell me it's not looking at me with contempt. I've got cats for that, I didn't need this from an appliance!!!

This is powerful levels of not giving a gently caress.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Had a friend who bought some LCD shutter glasses for his computer in the late 90s or earlier 2000s. The 3d effect worked shockingly well on a normal rear end monitor for the time. Major downside was only the person playing could watch so we took turns playing some weird racing game that came with them and then trying Dark Forces 2 and games like that.

When I was in college years later, at some classmates house party, one of his roommates worked at Best buy and was talking nonstop about his "3d ready PC" and it was the most obnoxious poo poo ever.

What's the major TV upsell these days, HDR still or OLEDs?

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

i think i had the same glasses and weird racing game. it was definitely the late 90s and it was all bundled with a video card

I'm pretty sure his was also bundled with a video card too, or he bought the two at separate dates and the glasses only worked with a specific model, yeah.

well-read undead posted:

oled WITH hdr

not a gimmick though, just genuinely nice looking

i’m assuming 8k is going to be the next profit boosting gimmick though. they exist, but i haven’t seen the marketing blitz yet

The marketing buzz has gone 720p/1080i > 1080p > Smart TV > Curved TVs > 3D TVs > HDR > OLEDs? Maybe mix and match the last four?

Yeah I know OLEDs are an actual improvement, and I hear so many mixed things about HDR. I still don't have a 4k panel because I don't want to spend $1000 on a GPU that can play games at 60+ fps. 1080p is working very nicely for me right now. Also, unless I'm going to start buying a bunch of Blue rays, streaming is a messed up poo poo show of compression. I re-watched Dune recently at a friend's house and some of the very dark scenes were just a mess of grey boxes from compression artifacts.

Seconding 8k being a weird joke because I can't see any modern media or most internet connections being able to handle that currently. Won't stop the marketing engine when all the manufacturers gotta get the quarterly numbers up though.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

My 4k panel only runs on logs and has one really good channel that just shows burning logs.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gotta sort out the bathroom that looks great until you get close up and realise all the hosed up stuff

like how do you re-lay a tile floor and somehow manage to end up with it being lower than the previous one? how do you manage to fill a shower drain with tile adhesive? Or install a toilet that is trying to flush uphill?

e: the guy doing the replacement said "why are you replacing this it's all fine?" and we said "yeah well look at this" "oh..wtf yeah I understand now"

I used to do a lot of exhibit work for aquariums and zoos, one was a river otter exhibit and the gunite guys came in and sprayed their concrete all over the place and cleaned up by sweeping over spray into a drain, that drain coincidentally became plugged with concrete.

Spent most of a day drip pouring muriatic acid down there and using a 12 foot long stainless steel all thread rod to break it up so the main wash down drain for cleaning the exhibit was useable. People can be remarkably stupid.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Riptor posted:

did u get to pet the otters

Not there unfortunately, but down in Miami I was replacing windows at an otter exhibit and they were standing at their holding cage like little inmates, I put my finger up to the bar and one reached out and held it. Was extremely cute.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

4lokos basilisk posted:

this but it messed up a lot in my library so ymmv
i probably should not have tried to auto identify nameless tracks though

I'm still using this now to slowly rename some files because I have a ton of really hosed up .mp3s that I pulled from an old iPod. It was the only 20 GB that survived a HDD failure of my old music collection.

Also, gently caress you apple for putting things in random folders with random strings of letters for file names.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

musicbrainz will let you move/rename files to a new folder structure based on tags, too.

It does not help that I organized all my music by keeping the file names meticulously accurate. The ID3 tags are a wild West of messed up but there is some info there that is helping the process.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

git apologist posted:

i used to use mp3tag to populate tags from file name patterns or vice versa, it worked great and it looks like the software is still around

Would have been cool if I knew about it 15 years ago. Between Spotify and Bandcamp I largely have access to music I used to listen to these days, still some weird esoteric things that neither have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Sagebrush posted:

those amazon buttons with like the tide logo on them that connected to wifi. you wre supposed to stick one on your washer and when you ran out of laundry detergent you'd press it and it would auto order the associated product.

Buddy of mine was obsessed with orange Sunkist soda and goldfish crackers back in college and I regret not buying him buttons for those two things.