Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

remember gateway cows?

i ordered a friend a gateway computer using the dreamcast browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

toilet droppers local 219

part of the consumer tp shortage even with restrictions on purchase per person is because people are making GBS threads at home. commercial tp has had no shortages, but it's a completely different supply channel. you can get all the tp you want from uline or whatever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tumblr just came up conversation with my neighbor and i had a laugh again how yahoo paid $1.1bn for it then it was offloaded by yahoo's successor verizon for less than $3m.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

aphid_licker posted:

Samoyedic seems chill, just doing its thing on that little branch off to the side

i think they're missing basque which would be in a similar type situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Truniht posted:

Koreans can read most Japanese characters. They also can do that with Cantonese.

kanji and hanja are descended from written chinese, but have nothing to do with spoken language.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

old school rice cookers that use the curie point of a strip of metal are the best just because of how they work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

netbooks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the headphone jacks and audio cords were so you could pass audio directly without involving your cpu. you could power a cd-rom drive with a 12v source, never plug in the data cable, plug in your headphones, and press play on the drive and listen to music.

you may have never hooked up that audio cable, but it could make cd music play faster and not bog down your cpu or anything. you didn’t need a software cd-player. could play a music cd while working in dos.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

echinopsis posted:

I used to leave my dialup on 24/7 as I paid for a dedicated line and had huge collection of 700mb movies

It would often take a week from start to finish to download those things. I remember the rule of thumb was 5 mins per mb

when I first got half life 2 and it needed to install steam and then update before I played. it was a physical disk that I then needed to update before I could even play? god that’s bullshit

I had the dvd version but yo could get it on 7 cds

when i was a kid i convinced my mom to let me leave dialup running overnight so i could download the 50mb diablo trial installer. the download completed but was corrupted so i didn't get to play diablo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soricidus posted:

vcd chat reminded me of that dumb thing games did for a while where they only rendered alternate lines of their fmv. god it looked awful, and I say that as someone with a glossy monitor

that’s because crts have used interlacing or lit up only one half of the lines for decades. everyone has been using various lcd and similar displays for 10-15 years so interlaced video seems really bizarre on them. if you played those rendered scenes on an old tube tv they’d look fine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soricidus posted:

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t playing games on an lcd display in 1996

i misunderstood your complaint.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

right click is not allowed on this website

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

duz posted:

always middle click all links

i do this on everything except loving lexis because doing that just brings you right to the exact same point in the case or statute that you were looking at instead of opening up the actual link. you have to right click and click open in a new tab to get it to work right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Truman Peyote posted:

Lol, remember when it turned out that the british navy was still running "windows for submarines", which was basically just win XP, in like 2016 or something?

the us navy still had windows xp on a fuckton of computers in 2013 when i got out.

i had a standalone win2k machine for one piece of software we had to use.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mediaphage posted:

you’re really misreading my point here which was that compared to a lot of devices at the time the hardware was great. the software sucked which is why it was a failure. normally non ipads had lovely hardware and lovely software both.

is that not still the case?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rokr? how about this:

steve jobs told george bodenheimer (then espn ceo) that this phone was the dumbest loving idea he had ever heard after george introduced himself at job's first disney board meeting. jobs then turned around and left the dude standing there slackjawed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

when jobs met him and told him that, the iphone was already in development and would launch less than a year later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

steve telling the head of espn that their phone with sprint was the stupidest idea he'd ever loving heard at a disney board of directors meeting when the dude was just trying to introduce himself is another example. the iphone was revealed a few months later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this sound brings me back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJYNtI2ul4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

z0r

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so it wasn’t pronounced juarez? thats what my friends and i always thought as kids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

imagine using irc in tyool 2021!

its a major component of us military comms. irc is useful as gently caress at sea. much easier than any other form of communication.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FMguru posted:

it also lets the military do comms in microsoft comic chat i.e. the jerkcity universe

i was considered a wizard because i knew how to skin mirc so everyone wanted me to teach them my arcane ways. little did i know that being 11 and jumping on irc in the mid 90s would have one day led to such great heights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i did some satellite smart card loading back in the day. we’d have to hotglue the telephone cord port shut because people would plug in the telephone and dtv would brick that card and soon after brick all cards loaded with that current crack.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i’ve still got a standard two button plus wheel mouse and never really needed anything else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Volmarias posted:

Gonna need you to explain the vcr cleaning fluid one

poppers, op.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RobobTheGreat posted:

this is probably a stupid question, but...how did that happen?

my guess is they did not use distilled water and did not ever cycle out old water. there’s gonna be some nasty poo poo living in there. the thing isn’t getting boiling hot, so it’s just a warm stagnant pool. dinguses didn’t understand this danger, and would get nasty water on them. easy enough to ingest if you don’t wash your hands and everything thoroughly after.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i deleted it just now without issue from the music app on my phone. didn’t realize it was there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i used mulatto butts from archer as a ringtone for a long time. i converted it myself, and previous poster was correct it is as simple as renaming an .m4a to .m4r and popping it into itunes.

i used this for my text tone when my friend texted me for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhNDtSqPRA&t=31s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

just the “today, we are canceling the apocalypse!” part

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he did upgrade a bunch of things between the first and second visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKT9_1KXQ

mtv wanted him to rent some big mansion which is what most people on there apparently do. he said gently caress that come to my house.

i don't know if the revisit is still on youtube, but that's the og.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mantle posted:

teaching a person how to open a file with a double click when they were slow clicking

then teaching the same person to rename a file using slow click instead of double clicking

i just tried to teach a 77 year old how to use aerosnap via a lovely remote connection. :smithicide:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ganooooooo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sweevo posted:

claiming credit for other people's work by attaching the word "gnu" to it is literally goal #1 of gnu

see e.g. gnu/linux

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The_Franz posted:

if you have to care about formatting, it means you aren’t using an auto-format tool in tyool 2022, and that’s bad

it makes me sad when people don’t use the basic features build into word. like it will autogenerate beautiful tables of contents and tables of authorities but you have to actually use the heading tools and such built in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mystes posted:

It's kind of hard to use styles in word well. I guess styles can be based on other styles, but you can't apply multiple paragraph or character styles at the same time?

Like is there any way to define a block quote style and then combine it with styles for different levels of indentation which seems like literally the the most basic thing you would possibly want to do with styles?

Do I just need to make my own style preprocessor?

absolutely. i set up my own templates when i was a lawyer and i still use them. heading 1 is primary heading all caps, bold, and underlined. heading 2 is bold all caps no underline, and heading 3 is bold regular case no underline. normal text is double spaced justified and block quotes are single space double indent justified. works great!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here's the default styles:

you can make any amount of changes to those and save them as a template or even make your own!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

can you show me what you’re talking about because i’m not certain what you mean.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mystes posted:

Imagine you have a book that has text at multiple indent levels (call them indent level 1, indent level 2, etc.) and you have paragraph styles for each indent level. Imagine you also have a paragraph style that applies a border (ignoring the fact that using paragraph borders sucks in word for various reasons).

A reasonable thing to want to do, which would be extremely trivial in something like css would be to say "I want a paragraph that's at indent level 2 and also has the box paragraph style applied".

How do you do that with word styles?

If you can't apply multiple paragraph styles at the same time, the only remaining option is to create styles for every possible combination, so you have to manually create styles like "indent level 1 + black border".

ok i get what you’re saying now. i’ve never tried to do something like that because it would never come up in the drafting of documents i did as a lawyer or now as an academic, but i’ll dick around a bit when i get home and see if there’s a simple solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mystes posted:

Imagine you have a book that has text at multiple indent levels (call them indent level 1, indent level 2, etc.) and you have paragraph styles for each indent level. Imagine you also have a paragraph style that applies a border (ignoring the fact that using paragraph borders sucks in word for various reasons).

A reasonable thing to want to do, which would be extremely trivial in something like css would be to say "I want a paragraph that's at indent level 2 and also has the box paragraph style applied".

How do you do that with word styles?

If you can't apply multiple paragraph styles at the same time, the only remaining option is to create styles for every possible combination, so you have to manually create styles like "indent level 1 + black border".

i didn't actually try to do this yet, but i think you would have to just set up separate styles for the separate styled things. i don't think there's a way to make variable substyles, but i could be wrong. this is where you start to get into very niche things where you might as well use some form of tex or something.