Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lenny Nero posted:

Transferring music to my Minidisc player was always a pain. Then I got an iAudio MP3 player and that was pretty rad. Ah the memories of the 2000s

This is possibly the most Sony product of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8yxCKP1h5I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
an app that would let you chose from 1 out of 1 push notifications to send to your friend.

Which subsequently branched out into delivering incoming missile alerts in Israel

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
DC++ at my state college owned so hard. They over-built a statewide fiber net back in the 90's and had its own IPv4 space, so access was limited to that block (literally every computer on campus got its own public IP). When you went home for summer break, you just went to your local library and hopped on it. The uni IT department knew about it and was completely OK with it because it meant that people wouldn't torrent and thus they wouldn't need to waste their day pulling logs for RIAA subpoenas.

Also the admins were extremely good at cracking down on file fuckery and you'd get probe'd within minutes of trying to share things out of your system32 folder.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mediaphage posted:

wep cracking was so handy for when you moved and your new connection wouldn’t be set up for a week

this but it's the 2011 Verizon strike and the backlog for new FiOS installs is 6-8 weeks and the default password is extremely easily derived from the router's wifi MAC address

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
in high school I once had a teacher who accepted my of "my computer broke last night" when I told them I had Windows ME.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the original white iBooks were just clear acrylic with paint on the inside, so you could soak the housing in paint thinner and get yourself a transparent laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The_Franz posted:

now built-in gps is increasingly not found on new cars at all since people just use carplay

Most cars still have the GPS receiver because the chipsets are cheap, it's one less config to manage on the line, and it means you can sell your $10/mo telematics service to consumers. A side benefit of this is that when iPhones are connected to CarPlay, it'll switch to using the location provided by the car since you're going to get better data from the active antenna with a massive ground plane and view of the sky than trying to piece together the same data from within a steel box.