Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

i had to get a capture card maybe 8-10 years ago to digitise some camera tapes for my family. the software installed itself to load at startup, and every time it opened it pegged the CPU at 100% for 10 minutes while it scanned for channels, and the PC would just lock up for ~30 seconds every time you pressed a button in the IR remote

i almost went this route but then i found a pretty affordable dvd+vcr combo that would let me record vhs to dvd. dvd ripping was super easy and i only had ~15 tapes to do. this was also cheaper than taking it to a place that specialized in doing this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i traded mine for an sony ericsson t610. now that was the loving peak of cell phone design

i had this phone

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i just remembered this

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/979781929506570240

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qsvui posted:

how pressing middle click lets you scroll up or down a page by moving your mouse up and down. does anyone actually use this?

way back in the day i had a logitech "wingman" three button mouse (no scroll wheel) and i used that feature all the time then. that was like circa 1999. now i use a mac and it doesn't do this; i use "mac mouse fix" to make it launch ~mission control~ when i double click it tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

I hope uli is doing ok these days

uli is doing better than many of the posters in this very forum :unsmith:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

flat ui is a loving disaster imo

the worst part is when i remote into a windows server and it's just white on white everywhere (my monitor is on already, thanks) with no borders or frames so i can't even find the right places to grab or click through to the wrong windows sometimes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i switched away from google photos when i realized i'd somehow turned on the "space optimizer" option for like 18 months. i don't remember ever turning it on; i made sure it was off when they first rolled out that option and my photos from then were "original quality" so i think it was when i migrated to a new phone and then was "fixed" when I moved to a newer phone after that. i never actually switched it to "original quality" either after the very first time i did; i only think it was on because i noticed a lot of my photos were set to "space optimizer" individually even though the option was off in my settings.

now i pay for icloud instead and use apple photos. gently caress you google.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
apple is far from perfect but i appreciate they still support the idea of having your photos stored both locally and in the cloud. when i was still using google photos i was doing a google takeout export every few months because afaik they don't let you sync photos locally anymore.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

lol better make sure icloud isn't transcoding your stuff to HEIC/HEVC then

where did you get the idea it does? are you thinking about when they changed the camera default to heic but continued to not change the format of existing files and if you changed it back to jpeg it would respect that and not change it again? and either way it was preserving the photos at the highest resolution you saved them as? is that the one?

anyway my stuff is already in heic/hevc :smuggo:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i delete poo poo all the time, it owns

yagni, muthafuckas

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they're going to delete it all, hth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
to be completely clear there is information that is worth saving and i'm glad people are saving it

i've also lost personal data that i valued but that wasn't by choice. by choice i delete all kinds of data and it makes it easier for me to find and appreciate the data i do value.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
are any artists working the patreon angle? it's certainly not perfect but i know it's helped a lot of youtubers do their thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i found out yesterday the youths have invented something they call "cursive singing"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

makin those little spring thingys out of the tearoffs from dot matrix paper

:blessed:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i was weirdly nostalgic about handheld image scanners the other day

so bad but so satisfying

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

My cases are enormous and built almost entirely out of glass, but it doesn't bother me, because they're under the desk, because i am a grownup

i left my white case on my desk for a year and the sun yellowed the gently caress out of it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i just hide the app-specific folders cluttering my documents folder that i don't want to see. i barely have anything in it though b/c 99% of my stuff is in our shared git repo and i only keep what i'm actively working on local under c:\src\...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Because it has the word "rear end" in it hhehe.

in a prior job we had a network drive mapped to the s drive and we called it the rear end drive because we just kept poo poo on there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

if it was outsourced to the british would it be t_time :dadjoke:

:mmmhmm:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Branch Nvidian posted:

a friend of mine refuses to give up on their ipod classic and has taken to doing ipod classic mods with sd cards and rockbox for people

not my lifestyle choice but i support them wholeheartedly

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A HUNDRED VHS TAPES AND NINTENDO CARTRIDGES INTO THE SLOT. ITS ALL THE EIGHTIES MOVIES AND GAMES AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SAYING THE LINES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTERS,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i've never zapped a component into oblivion but one time i had a computer case open in the high school computer lab to show someone the different components and someone else yelled "hey let's play craps", picked up the screws, tossed them into the case like a handful of dice, and that computer never worked again vOv