Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

linux.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not that people "believe" its more secure, its that its grandfathered in under hipaa (same w/ paging)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft should add a single, tenant wide setting to require TLS for all email and then set a deadline for a year from that date when it will be forced on for all tenants.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which leads luddite doctors and nurses to clutch their faxing pearls because HIPAA SECURITY

its more that they don't want to spend the time to enforce TLS on their email when the faxing works right now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

can u imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth lol

the only people who would be mad would be Linux people like ESR or RMS because they don't believe in CAs or whatever dumb Linux poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

this isn't actually true but is on-brand

of course it is. they would be all mad that its not PGP with everyone manually sharing their public keys.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What Healthcare org do you work for where the practitioners know what TLS is? Faxing is how they've always done it and ITS SECURE, IT GUY so faxing is how they'll do it till the heat death of the universe

Healthcare will single handedly keep faxing alive

most of them don't know what TLS is, they just know it would allow them to use email instead of faxes but also that their IT staff has told them it will take more than 5 minutes. security does not remotely factor into it. its 100% about convenience and short term cost.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
doctors and nurses do not care even a little bit about HIPAA or PHI in general, they care about what makes their job easier. lots of them send PHI via SMS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's the other thing about faxes. some of them want faxes because they want a ~*HaRdCoPy*~ for their records so you fax them stuff when they're closed and it just sits on the machine in the open until someone comes in and remembers to check the machine.

one of the upsides of provider org consolidation is that kind of thing is starting to go away as everyone gets onboarded onto EMRs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

do this but also write your complete medical history on it and instruct him to fold it into a paper airplane

congrats you’re now a doctor

also, for maximum authenticity, send it to the wrong number a couple times first

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

THIS NON FARMER REMEMBERS

what is non and how do you farm it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably lower than that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ADINSX posted:

What happened to the ESR is trash thread? I mean I know he's still trash, but what has he been up to lately?

he litterrally does nothing of note other than being exceptionally creepy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

eat pepperoni, m'lord

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i tried using a switch and the joycons were trash as controls and also felt like they were gonna snap off

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

also the forum was still somehow active with like 12 users or something. surely the Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight community is no longer a thing now. i will not be checking.

they have canvas based 3d previews of the maps they host. its insane. why is that a thing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wrt torrent files i think magents are just a hash of the torrent file and then a list of trackers all url encoded into the magnet url. your client parses the list of trackers and asks each one for a file matching the hash. if one of them provides it the torrent client opens it as a .torrent and starts the d/l or displays the content to u

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but yeah i guess if ur client supports dht it can use that to find the file by the hash too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i could never understand why it was so difficult to just not allow the browser to open new windows

because opening popups is the only reason javascript exists and it was a big deal to disable that core functionality

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

they should use Linux on submarines to make them undetectable by sonar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my winphone had glance mode where it would just show u white on black date/time/next appointment/other configured stuff without going to the lock screen

it was oled so it was cheap and saved battery vs the lock screen which was the same thing but w/ background image. it was so nice and i wish ios would add it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

that CEO blaming alternate realities and the Mandela Effect for software bugs and data entry mistakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPxDLMCUKM

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/tech-company-mandela-effect/

this has to be trolling

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
water cooling (generallt) gets you better thermals at the same noise level plus more time to max temp so you can handle burst loads longer before the fans kick on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

tile. remember tile?

tile's back, in apple form!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fun fact: we used to use active desktop on our terminal server farm as an application launcher. it worked great and it was disappointing when it was removed for later releases

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux. lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we use SSIS so technically there may be some vba in there somewhere, but it would have been written by MS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
scour was rad as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only reason anyone remembers oregon trail at all is it was the only game for the macs at school

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
force touch is still everywhere in ios

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

yeah that's k&r style. shaggar will be along shortly pump allman style.

yeah allman style hard tabs only is objectively correct. k&r is some linux poo poo that can be resigned to the dumpster

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

lmao hard tabs. right on brand shaggar

i love spaces-for-indentation because its a 100% guaranteed indicator that anyone who uses it is an idiot.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Presto posted:

Allman style wastes far too much vertical space. Unfortunately it's our standard at work.

And we also do int* foo instead of int *foo and it makes me sad.

are you on a crt or something? who cares about vertical space?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i hae a 16:10 monitor so i dont have to worry about vertical space

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my parents have a central vacuum in their house and its great. the sucker hole layout allows you to reach everything so it works well. they also have a big whole house fan and it too is great. a few years ago my dad added on a wood shop to their garage. he had a heat exchanger built into the exhaust system to maximize heating efficiency when using the exhaust in the winter. he doesnt have a set of air tools yet.

i do have a buddy who works on cars that has a whole set of air tools and a big central compressor in his garage with overhead lines and stuff and oh man is that nice

Wild EEPROM posted:

the Honda Odyssey has an option for a trunk mounted vacuum cleaner and that owns

i remember seeing the ad for that when they first started doing it and thinking "thats so brilliant and obvious, how was this not already in every minivan?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can intercept keyboard events in javascript the same way you can intercept mouse events, so they just intercept f12 and have it do nothing the same way as those anti-right click scripts work. you can always get to it from the browser tools menu tho. the more rear end in a top hat thing to do is throw a loop on the page that calls "debugger" so when you open dev tools it breaks and you have to disable debugging.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
input events like those shouldnt be visible to javascript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those kinds of people should be in institutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
put plants and showers at every exit so none of them try to escape