Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I can never quite tell when the Stroll love is ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MustardFacial posted:

Lewis sucks
Ferrari sucks
Mercedes sucks
Bottas rules
McLaren are great
Lance is the GOAT

bottas and stroll?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd say your Di Restas and your Davidsons are a step below Heidfeld and Hulkenberg just because of the latter two's longevity. Anyone who has won multiple races like Herbert and Irvine are a step above. Coulthard had the ability to be a World Champion in the right circumstances, but they didn't come, Jenson got his chance and took it, then performed decently at McLaren. Hamilton is obviously a contender for the best of all time.

Then you've got a whole pile of one or two season drivers who either didn't get a chance to show what they had, or did and it was poo poo. How do you grade Will Stevens driving a shitbox Marussia for one season? Or McNish in a rubbish Toyota?

I think we can agree that Jolyon Palmer and Max Chilton were proper poo poo though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Davidson never really got a shot at a half decent car in F1 though with the poo poo rear end BAR and then super aguri, di resta did about as well as hulkenberg coming close to podium finishes but then somehow loving it up

Irvine is not british

also all british drivers are fraudulent and should be stripped of all honours

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ant Davidson is cool and good

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Davidson should be doing commentary alongside Karun maybe, or maybe a drunk Jenson Button

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ant davidson proved he was world class in other series' he just never really had a car to post results in f1

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Was davidson in the super aguri that was better than the factory Honda because they built a terrible car?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the kentucky quid posted:

Was davidson in the super aguri that was better than the factory Honda because they built a terrible car?

The SA07, yes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Oh I'm a big Davidson fan, but you'd have to place him below Heidfeld and Hulkenberg on F1 performance. He was definitely a top test driver and has proven his driving ability in other series. Irvine is from Northern Ireland and raced under a British flag. He's a big ol' prod.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
close this thread and start the 2021 off season one

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVc0MBPFNw

:britain:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7SWVFAehM

Now somebody post el lobo

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

It amazes me how dated this looks after a relatively short time. It always reeked of coked-up Soho meetings.
  • Women!
  • Travel Stuff!
  • Moby!

Was this the same year they had the weird bumpers with Def Leppard and spinning basketballs?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

track day bro! posted:

bottas and stroll?

They're good op. I don't understand the confusion.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rinkles posted:

I can never quite tell when the Stroll love is ironic.

Hint: never. Stroll fuckin owns.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

stroll fans would root for austin dillon.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Here's a thought, who's #2 in the #2 pipeline if Bottas Nicoes out on Mercedes after this year? Could it be Lance? I mean obviously it would be Our George but we can discuss it as if it might be Lance

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Here's a thought, who's #2 in the #2 pipeline if Bottas Nicoes out on Mercedes after this year? Could it be Lance? I mean obviously it would be Our George but we can discuss it as if it might be Lance

Probably Dan Ricciardo. This will be his last season at Reanult. Or as you said more likely George.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I unironically hope it's Seb.

I want to see that car be put into a spin cycle every race.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Frond posted:

If you are able to win multiple races then your are probably pretty good chief.

so what makes a driver "average"? it's a lot harder to win races now so would the likes of Hulkenberg, Heidfeld, Perez etc have won races in the number 2 car of a championship winning team (like Herbert and Coulthard did)? are Thierry Boutsen and Michele Alboreto "great" drivers?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i missed 3 pages?> oh my FUCKIN

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i hope we can all agree that bottas loving sucks and the only way this idiotic sport is going to get better is that lewis retires, they sign a competent driver as his 2 or mercedes and the entire british involvement in the series disappears for ever.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vando posted:

so what makes a driver "average"? it's a lot harder to win races now so would the likes of Hulkenberg, Heidfeld, Perez etc have won races in the number 2 car of a championship winning team (like Herbert and Coulthard did)? are Thierry Boutsen and Michele Alboreto "great" drivers?

Alboreto nearly won a championship against Alain loving Prost of all people and Boutsen won 3 races in a hyper competitive era because he was excellent at managing the car over race distance. Those are bad examples.

I’m talking about guys like Brundle, Wurz, De La Rosa, Panis etc. guys who could score points (or in Panis’s case win in extraordinary conditions).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Pierluigi Martini and Marc Surer are probably the most average drivers I’ve seen. Generally competent and could score points with some regularity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm going to glass this thread.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sick thread OP. Ferrari ftw, they own. #ForzaFerrari

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

Alboreto nearly won a championship against Alain loving Prost of all people and Boutsen won 3 races in a hyper competitive era because he was excellent at managing the car over race distance. Those are bad examples.

I’m talking about guys like Brundle, Wurz, De La Rosa, Panis etc. guys who could score points (or in Panis’s case win in extraordinary conditions).

Felippe Massa, Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barichello. Unsurprisingly all Ferrari drivers at one point.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Frond posted:

Defining an average versus good driver is such a subjective thing because racing is way more of an art than a science. HHF by an objective measure ate poo poo at Williams and then was a championship contender at Jordan. EJ said he spent half a season in F3 convincing Brundle he actually could beat Senna and when he finally convinced him he nearly took the championship. It’s an incredibly tough thing to measure.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the kentucky quid posted:

EJ said he spent half a season in F3 convincing Brundle he actually could beat Senna
Well there's a depressing fuckin job

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Coronavirus is spreading worldwide, 16 cases out of nowhere were reported yesterday in the north of Italy near the Ferrari factory.

The responsible thing to do is to give Lewis this year's WDC and cancel the F1 season immediately.

Sad that the current EU-regulation-compliant F1 intros deny you the half-boner so vital to properly enjoy the start of the race

poty fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 22, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bottas is mediocre at best and the standard ex-williams driver put in the seat next to the guy the team really want to win see also; webbah and Rosberg

That front end on the McLaren ugly at best, Minicurve has pointed out that the racing point looks like a penis.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hell of a post, OP

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Thanks Ants posted:

Hell of a post, OP

Yeah, Jeff K really outdone himself this time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve has pointed out that the racing point looks like a penis.
Did mini see the 2014 Racing . ? Holy hell

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So proud of the good lads at McLaren for having a stable testing with no fires or engine detonations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dinosaurs! posted:

So proud of the good lads at McLaren for having a stable testing with no fires or engine detonations.

Or decent lap times

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Data correlation > fast laps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What does that mean for Mercedes who have both?
I think it means Lewis WDC 2020