Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Custard Undies posted:

The Netflix crew are with Mercedes this weekend.

I hope you all remember what happened last year.

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1308436834263891969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why are people talking about how iRacing is cheaper than karting when kart hire is thing? Also that £300 vr headset isn’t going to be able to magic up a burger van with a nice man called Dave who will make you a bacon sandwich.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SoyMotor/status/1308743105974239232

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
can't wait for the first openly gay F1 driver to urge others to be gay

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

Why are people talking about how iRacing is cheaper than karting when kart hire is thing? Also that £300 vr headset isn’t going to be able to magic up a burger van with a nice man called Dave who will make you a bacon sandwich.

1. Kart rental is not a thing everywhere.
2. In the places it is available (outside the UK), the karts are lovely Honda GX things. I can run faster than those.
3. In the even smaller subset of places that have a decent kart rental, it is hideously expensive (like I could do a kart event for a day, or I could buy a VR headset and a shopping cart full of gourmet ice cream)

In all honesty, if they had like a Club 100 type deal around here I would drop iRacing entirely and just do that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

1. Kart rental is not a thing everywhere.
2. In the places it is available (outside the UK), the karts are lovely Honda GX things. I can run faster than those.
3. In the even smaller subset of places that have a decent kart rental, it is hideously expensive (like I could do a kart event for a day, or I could buy a VR headset and a shopping cart full of gourmet ice cream)

In all honesty, if they had like a Club 100 type deal around here I would drop iRacing entirely and just do that.

Club 100 was great when I did it, but I was a poor as poo poo student at the time.

Every time I have aquaplaned in a car since I fondly look back to doing it in a Club 100 Rotax two stroke on slicks on a wet November day as I clean the poo poo out of my trousers. Standing on the brakes into turn 3 at Rye House and skating off the track then having to pick the bastard thing up at the back to give it a running bump start as a field of 30-40 other people came barrelling down the straight towards me. :allears:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

POCKET CHOMP posted:

can't wait for the first openly gay F1 driver to urge others to be gay

Has there really not been an openly gay F1 driver yet? Because this sport is really loving gay.

I kind of feel like there has almost certainly been some guy in the midfield who was openly gay but his best result was 11th so no one gave a poo poo. Like Jean Eric Vergne or something.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Probably Adrian Sutil

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Has there really not been an openly gay F1 driver yet? Because this sport is really loving gay.

I kind of feel like there has almost certainly been some guy in the midfield who was openly gay but his best result was 11th so no one gave a poo poo. Like Jean Eric Vergne or something.

Maybe Jaime Alguersuari? Idk, it's weird that I think F1 would be totally ambivalent to gay drivers today. In decades gone by they probably ended up in pieces on the catch fencing before they came to terms with it in 50s-00s society. Does being gay make you drive better? Asking for a friend in F1.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

“Petrov thinks that these gestures are unnecessary and that Hamilton has gone too far. "For me, this is superfluous, as well as calling everyone to kneel. This is a personal matter for all adults," Petrov stressed in statements to the Russian media Championat.”

Ah yes, it’s a personal matter whether you want to make it known that racism is bad. Curse that Lewis for continuing to use his platform to try and make people realise the 2nd/3rd/4th racisms are bad!!!

I hope Lewis wins at sotchi and gets Putin right in the eyes with the champagne, causing some kind of corporate faux pas that means WE NEVER GO TO SOCHI AGAIN

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I hope Lewis is thrown in the Gulag and George Russel replaces him.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Lewis will strangely be taken ill after taking a swig of the victory champagne

Putin will claim its just the West trying to make Russia look bad again, to which the rest of the world will point out theres no need, the Sochi F1 race already does that

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Absolutely no suggestion the bottle of Dom Polonium had anything to do with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Disaster as another chaos race erupts, kvyat wins and Putin frantically tries to switch the bottles on the podium

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

imagine the dipshit sky commentators discussing novichok poisoning with all the spastic energy of a race start

LIGHTS OUT AND AWAYY WE GO

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Usually in the run up the official youtube channel has a video compilation of interesting things that have happened at the track. The one they've done for Sochi is... underwhelming

glad i checked it out though because i saw they put up this video which is just an impressive display of binmanship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPg6y4DYJ1s

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

spaceblancmange posted:

Absolutely no suggestion the bottle of Dom Polonium had anything to do with it.

Lmao

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Theophany posted:

Club 100 was great when I did it, but I was a poor as poo poo student at the time.

Every time I have aquaplaned in a car since I fondly look back to doing it in a Club 100 Rotax two stroke on slicks on a wet November day as I clean the poo poo out of my trousers. Standing on the brakes into turn 3 at Rye House and skating off the track then having to pick the bastard thing up at the back to give it a running bump start as a field of 30-40 other people came barrelling down the straight towards me. :allears:

High 5 aquaplaning off a track in a club 100 kart buddy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alllll the way off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

Alllll the way off.

:byodood::hf::byodood:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Alllll the way off.

Pretty much everyone does this on slicks in the rain their first time out. Everyone runs the racing line, hits the brakes on the rubbered in track then shits their pants when nothing happens.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
this is gonna sound stupid but I've only ever been on dry days, but don't they have wets for karts? or is the tyre small enough to disperse water well enough without grooves

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Will Buxton tested positive for Covid-19.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
sounds like we should cancel the formula 1 season and have all results voided and every british person banned from the sport

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dev null posted:

blessed

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

this is gonna sound stupid but I've only ever been on dry days, but don't they have wets for karts? or is the tyre small enough to disperse water well enough without grooves

They do but if it going to start raining part way through a race 90% of the time you’re better off on slicks. Kart slicks on a wet track is worse than driving a passenger car on ice imo

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

the corona quid posted:

They do but if it going to start raining part way through a race 90% of the time you’re better off on slicks. Kart slicks on a wet track is worse than driving a passenger car on ice imo

It's fun as hell though!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Custard Undies posted:

It's fun as hell though!

It’s an absolute blast and it really forces you to think about track grip and lines in a different way. You need to show an incredible amount of restraint though

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

dev null posted:

best loving news all week

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

GramCracker posted:

best loving news all week

Haha, how come?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

dev null posted:

Haha, how come?

cuz he sucks, op. we are free from his poo poo opinions and whatever else he "offers" to f1 for 2 weeks

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

the corona quid posted:

It’s an absolute blast and it really forces you to think about track grip and lines in a different way. You need to show an incredible amount of restraint though

So you're saying Bernie was right with his sprinkler idea.

GramCracker posted:

cuz he sucks, op. we are free from his poo poo opinions and whatever else he "offers" to f1 for 2 weeks

COVID sadly doesn't block you from using the internet. I'm sure his trash opinions will find a way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe he'll drop dead in the middle of a dumb idea

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

sounds like we should cancel the formula 1 season and have all results voided and every british person banned from the sport

I agree!
#missionwinnow,please?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

I agree!
#missionwinnow,please?

the good boys at alpha tauri will just have to keep spanking them I guess

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I am going to be honest here

I think it’s bad that Will Buxton got covid and I feel sorry for him

This may be a result of being American, which is like British but worse

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I am going to be honest here

I think it’s bad that Will Buxton got covid and I feel sorry for him

This may be a result of being American, which is like British but worse

Will Buxton is there to remind us Americans of NBC's coverage, which despite having commercials had announcers that weren't Croft & Brundle.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Did Leigh Diffy commentate F1 or was he only on IndyCar?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Custard Undies posted:

Did Leigh Diffy commentate F1 or was he only on IndyCar?

He indeed did F1, alongside David Hobbs and Steve Matchett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

One of my favorite NBC memories was Matchett poking fun at Hobbs because Hobbs owned a Honda dealership and felt it necessary to stress that Honda road cars are reliable unlike the McLaren currently broken on screen.