Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The albon thing isn't hard to understand. You put a new(ish) driver alongside someone like Max, they immediately use him as a point of comparison and start a mindgame against themselves. Add in some garbage-tier broadcasting (Sky) who hound the team to replace the driver so they have something to talk about, and you get Gasly & Albon's RBR stints.
Albon was doing fine at RBR in 2019. 'Nearish' Max's pace (well, not being lapped or qualifying 7 places down) and getting more comfortable racing at the front.
Then the 2020 testing came along. The car is even twitchier than ever, with Max sliding it off the road as well. Albon gets noticeably less confident after hitting the wall one time, and the rest is pretty much set.

RBR have been (until this month) steadfast in their support of Albon. Re-designing and shipping different aero pieces specifically for him, adding in more sim-time, getting more setup help from the other side of the garage, switching out race engineers. Not putting discussion of replacing him on the table in any capacity.
Albon has just fallen backwards the entire time.
I don't think any team structure would have done a better job of stopping his self-meltdown.

If you put someone with some racing experience behind them in the second car, I'm sure they will do well. That precludes their Redbull academy drivers however, which they seem to have now realised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
why bother having a driver academy if yer just gonna give everyone who isn't a racist dutch gamer the shaft

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

track day bro! posted:

why bother having a driver academy if yer just gonna give everyone who isn't a racist dutch gamer the shaft

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21oipOvmfB4

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

track day bro! posted:

so they can find another racist dutch gamer and hire him to be a driver

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

so they can find another racist dutch gamer and hire him to be a driver

what if they both crashed into each other and called each other the r-word what then

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
hear me out, what if red bull used their poo poo energy drink money to develop an ai racer that was as stupid and dutch as max failcrappen

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The thing I don't understand that the Red Bull model has actually worked quite well in MotoGP, they've got two riders who both won races this year coming up through the ranks with them and are both obviously loyal to the whole project. Its just been a never ending disaster in F1 though.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
If I had a F1 team I wouldn't sign Gasly tbh, he was pretty poo poo in F2 and I don't think he can psychologically cut it once the pressure is on him. I don't think its a coincidence that he's done better in the B-Team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

track day bro! posted:

what if they both crashed into each other and called each other the r-word what then

I think what happens is carlos sainz takes ownership of the team if history is precedent

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

the corona quid posted:

If I had a F1 team I wouldn't sign Gasly tbh, he was pretty poo poo in F2 and I don't think he can psychologically cut it once the pressure is on him. I don't think its a coincidence that he's done better in the B-Team.

thats what ed straw said, he implodes.. which he exactly didnt do in Monza so good I guess but that doesnt mean comon back momma loves ya

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vomitorium posted:

thats what ed straw said, he implodes.. which he exactly didnt do in Monza so good I guess but that doesnt mean comon back momma loves ya

Maybe it's one of those things where he gets too far back into his own head and is able to really shine when he has to focus on driving and not on how he's driving if that makes sense

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i mean it's not out of the question that that's the same reason albon's doing so poorly

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe it's one of those things where he gets too far back into his own head and is able to really shine when he has to focus on driving and not on how he's driving if that makes sense

bill burr says in comedy when you get in your own head. if you like think 'are they laughing with me? or at me? was that funny? do I look stupid?' you do all that poo poo and you're going straight to the scene of the accident to quote Fartin Mundle. You wanna somehow zone out and just FEEL THE FORCE when in reality it's your career and every fraction of a second counts and Marko is a oval office and fucks sake here is loving Stroll again right in the middle of the loving ROAD

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Vomitorium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ljuK1quN0

basically gasly has done his dash and rbr wont ever put him in the car again, thats what he's saying. 'Not taking direction well', really.. this is one of the things I love about F1. It's not about autistic savants who understand the court or whatever at a level noone else does.. you still have to work with people. It doesn't matter how well you drive if you can't talk about it after and other people can't talk to you about it. Your own effort won't be enough, you need to know how to collaborate.

Which rbr is saying they don't think Gasly can do, therefore we don't want to do that again. which is damning, its like saying I don't really care what the laptime is I just can't work with this guy. But rbr are notoriously cunty so yeah, maybe it's them and the pressure from corporate to get back to the glory days is being pushed onto the drivers.

The way he finished the drive in Monza should be proof to anyone that he's not poo poo. I guess when you're picking F1 drivers you're looking for more than 'not poo poo'

as someone whos just started a business i absolutely understand not wanting to work with someone who has lovely social/communication skills. unless they're a star player, once in a lifetime kind of talent it's often better for everyone to just find someone easier to get along with even if they aren't necessarily as talented. the stress just isn't worth it

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
F1 has always been like this. Prost could communicate in a way Senna couldn't and it hurt him

edit: and still can because he hasn't been dead 20 years? bada bing?

edit2: Mansell was quick and heroic but also apparently a monmental, ocean-going, fur-lined oval office

edit3: and everyone loves MSC because everyone loves MSC. he famously knew everyone's name on the team, every mechanic and would text each on birthdays and stuff and everyone loved it

Vomitorium fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 30, 2020

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
counterpoint: finnish drivers

sometimes theyre so good that who cares that they dont talk (kimi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9_ij9VTU2Q

but kimi was really loving good, dont try and copy that

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
This weekend is a historic occasion and in the run-up to the GP i would just like to remind everyone to take a minute to reflect upon one of the all-time greats in F1

the Imola circuit pre-'95, especially Tamburello

gone but not forgotten :italy:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Imola always seems to have had a mix of good corners and bad chicanes in its F1 years. Aqua minerale 80-94 chicane was awful. Hot take: The Villeneuve chicane ruins the flow of the track more than Tamburello.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Feels so weird having F1 be on this weekend and no FP1 & FP2 on Friday.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

First recipe out of the grosjean book:

Looks like soup, tastes pretty good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

In what kind of cookware was this created?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

5L cast iron bucket with enamel outside and teflon inner coating

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

CancerCakes posted:

prefer the gallon drum myself.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Raikkonen confirmed for 2021. At least some good news for next year.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
#bwhoa

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CancerCakes posted:

This is the most centrist of cookware choices.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...mpaign=widget-6

Phwoar, what a good lad that Toto Wolff is. Really knows his onions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's not because of his wealth, if he was rich and good he'd just be another F1 driver.

In the past lovely pay drivers had the good sense to drive a backmarker car.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CancerCakes posted:

First recipe out of the grosjean book:

Looks like soup, tastes pretty good.

texture is a bit different, his looks like a pea puree!

you cunts ever had a pie floater? betcha havent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

The pie floater is an Australian dish particularly common in Adelaide. It consists of a meat pie in a thick pea soup, typically with the addition of tomato sauce. Believed to have been first created in the 1890s, the pie floater gained popularity as a meal sold by South Australian pie carts. In 2003 it was recognised as a South Australian Heritage Icon.

yeah, good when youre pissed. which is always in adelaide. its tasty as though

Vomitorium fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 30, 2020

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Vomitorium posted:

texture is a bit different, his looks like a pea puree!

you cunts ever had a pie floater? betcha havent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

The pie floater is an Australian dish particularly common in Adelaide. It consists of a meat pie in a thick pea soup, typically with the addition of tomato sauce. Believed to have been first created in the 1890s, the pie floater gained popularity as a meal sold by South Australian pie carts. In 2003 it was recognised as a South Australian Heritage Icon.

yeah, good when youre pissed. which is always in adelaide. its tasty as though

Sounds about as appetising as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfyJICT9aI

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
jesus, although id bet those eels probably taste pretty great

parsely and mash, thats a good place to start

edit: i dont need to watch them being cleaned though

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
you South Australians are broken in the head

*i would totally eat that pie floater thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

australians would name a dish "floater"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
gently caress I’m old

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

FAUXTON posted:

australians would name a dish "floater"

*white Australians

I’ll be in the corner weeping at that pie.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

All Anglo food is disgusting and should be NMSd and spoilered in this thread since it’s offensive for people from countries that have normal cuisines

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Khablam posted:

I don't think any team structure would have done a better job of stopping his self-meltdown.

Mercedes would have done it better. :colbert:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Stroll is the type of guy to sleep next to a ruler so he can measure how long he has slept for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
With Williams and Alfa confirming their unchanged lineups for 2021 it's only the second seats at the two Red Bull teams and Haas unconfirmed. Haas seem likely to be going with two rookies so it's going to come down to whether Perez or Hulkenberg can persuade Red Bull to bump Albon back down to the B team.

If I had to guess it'll be

Mercedes: Hamilton + Bottas
Red Bull: Verstappen + Perez
Ferrari: Leclerc + Sainz
McLaren: Norris + Ricciardo
Aston Martin: Vettel + Stroll
Alpine: Alonso + Ocon
Alpha Tauri: Gasly + Albon
Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen + Giovinazzi
Haas: Schumacher + Mazepin
Williams: Russell + Latifi

So many As