Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Silver Team
British or German depending on who you ask
Win most of the time by not making GBS threads the bed
Drivers: A good British one and a mediocre Finnish one

Red Team
Italian frauds
Don't win most of the time because of making GBS threads the bed
Drivers: A German fraud and a promising lad from Monaco

Blue Team
Fizzy drinks fascists
Sometimes win when the track conditions suit their car
Drivers: A dickhead Dutch frog who is quick when he's not crashing into other drivers and a reject they had to beg to come back because they ran out of drivers who then turned out to be pretty ok

Orange Team
Funded by oil barons, definitely not tobacco and tech companies only nerds have heard of
Used to win but haven't for a long time because of management incompetence
Drivers: A Spanish guy who is reasonably good, a British memelord who might be good(?)

Pink Team
Literally funded by the dad of one of their drivers
Literally photocopied last year's winning car because theirs was so bad
Drivers: A Mexican who can be good sometimes, a Canadian pay driver

Yellow Team
French funded disappointments
Worse than their customer team last year
Drivers: A jolly Australian and a Frenchman who exists

White Teams
There's a lot of these, but they are completely interchangeable so don't worry
Drivers: Rejects from other teams

Aquafresh Team
Used to win a very long time ago but they've been poo poo for years now
Drivers: A British extraterrestrial and a different Canadian pay driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I have a switch but I have never played an animal crossing game

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
So Ferrari tried to make a car that suits Vettel better and it's turned out to be a shitbox. Who could have predicted?

Binotto not expecting to be able to compete with Mercedes until maybe the end of the season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

Was that a Haas throttle mapping error or does Kmag just have bricks for feet because that was super dumb.

He claimed it was a puncture on the radio, didn't turn my head from my work in time to see the footage

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sky (very diplomatically) ripping the poo poo out of Stroll right now.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

No. I'm not having this.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There is only one Quick Nick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRfCCYIv3EA

Some Canadian rich kid rookie doesn't get to just poach his name

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

what is it with posters loving incredibly mediocre german drivers who never manage to win a race in their entire f1 careeer

My love of Nick Heidfeld is nothing to do with his driving ability or his nationality.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

Is he making GBS threads in his kecks in that video or something?

He's doing the dance of his people

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXXAPKPFP1w

Overtaking in Monaco in the maximum dirty air era puts Quick Nick in solid MWDC territory imho.

But yeah he was a journeyman

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd say your Di Restas and your Davidsons are a step below Heidfeld and Hulkenberg just because of the latter two's longevity. Anyone who has won multiple races like Herbert and Irvine are a step above. Coulthard had the ability to be a World Champion in the right circumstances, but they didn't come, Jenson got his chance and took it, then performed decently at McLaren. Hamilton is obviously a contender for the best of all time.

Then you've got a whole pile of one or two season drivers who either didn't get a chance to show what they had, or did and it was poo poo. How do you grade Will Stevens driving a shitbox Marussia for one season? Or McNish in a rubbish Toyota?

I think we can agree that Jolyon Palmer and Max Chilton were proper poo poo though.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Oh I'm a big Davidson fan, but you'd have to place him below Heidfeld and Hulkenberg on F1 performance. He was definitely a top test driver and has proven his driving ability in other series. Irvine is from Northern Ireland and raced under a British flag. He's a big ol' prod.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7SWVFAehM

Now somebody post el lobo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dinosaurs! posted:

So proud of the good lads at McLaren for having a stable testing with no fires or engine detonations.

Or decent lap times

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Nybble posted:

Watching Italy 2010 right now and it is absolutely wild that these drivers are able to go almost the entire race on the tyres they qualified on. Vettel is at 45 laps of 53 and still hasn’t pitted.

(And unless something happens in these last few laps I don’t know why F1TV promoted this one from the archive, but it is interesting regardless as a newer fan)

Check out Nurburgring 2005

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Max Verstappen will not win the WDC

ever

:toxx:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm a man of honour, I'll autoban

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Vettel and Binotto double suicide in front of the media?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Testing is exactly when you want the engine to blow, surely? You lose some running, but you aren't getting any penalties.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There have been way fewer failures so far in testing than is normal, so these very minor failures stand out. Alfa stopped on track twice last week, are we deciding Ferrari engines are shite too?

When you're doing multiple race distances back to back over 5 days it would be more strange not to have a failure somewhere.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rebus posted:

Pride?

To be honest the development direction is dictated by the chief engineers, who say "this shall be our design philosophy and these are the ways we will measure that you are delivering what I want you to deliver".

I guess whoever that guy is at tracing • said "just wholesale copy the fastest car, no new ideas of your own lads".

There was a meeting where they got together and said 'this car lineage has had fundamental flaws from the start and everything goes in the bin before 2021 anyway, how do you fancy trying to copy last year's Merc instead of another year trying to compensate for a bad car?'

I guess presenting it as a fun technical challenge in a write off year is better than just saying 'you aren't capable of fixing this car'

I presume the idea is to come out of the blocks with a good car and coast on it whilst devoting everything possible to the 2021 car, which isn't the worst idea. With Strollbux their finishing position in the WCC is less critical.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Zeta Acosta posted:

Strolls are a stain in Grand Prix Racing and straight up buying a car should be banned.- Enzo Ferrari

Straight up buying a car is banned. They didn't buy a car off Mercedes, they meticulously copied it from photos, hence 'tracing point'

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

That seems like a relentlessly stupid thing to admit

That's talking about switching to a lower rake concept, which it would make sense would have totally different wind tunnel configurations.

They have been buying parts designed for Mercedes which doesn't have extreme rake, and putting them in a high rake car, so everything is compromised by that.

It's totally ridiculous that they've done what they've done, but there's no suggestion they have been helped by Mercedes to do it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Lewis literally took responsibility and apologised after the race for going for a move that wasn't on. Albon is entirely innocent.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rinkles posted:

but he's so charming in interviews.

He's slime personified

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
FIA say they settled with Ferrari because it would be too hard to conclusively prove Ferrari's engine was illegal even though they strongly suspect it was.

Basically just flat out admitting they aren't capable of governing the sport

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I'm really not, because they've still forced Ferrari to stop whatever it was they couldn't 'prove conclusively' and they're going to spend another season melting down.

The FIA are incompetent cowards, but I knew that already

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

Really upset about the meltdown standards in the thread today. Someone post about sidepods please.

Only a week to go before the meltdowns begin for real.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

It bears repeating that as well as being a good British lad who means well, George Russell is actually a really good looking extraterrestrial

ftfy

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Better than watching sky's grid walk tbqh

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Specifically this one

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wmsc-team-criticism-ferrari-settlement/4723967/

Ferrari was innocent and all the idiotic non ferrari teams should be banned for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Wow who would have thought the FIA would disagree with criticism of themselves

Ferrari cheated and got off extremely lightly because the FIA are incompetent

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

good luck with that, and lol at thinking an arbitrary number is easier to remember for viewers than a colour/pattern

I'd totally forgotten Dan's terrible Aussie gp start, that wing just hanging out by the side of the track :lmao:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only person who melted down was Nico desperately trying to beat Lewis. Lewis had an off year and Nico managed to win by a whisker and then immediately retired because he was wrecked by the experience. Lewis shrugged it off then went back to dominating the sport.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I always hear Kimi's congested blurting as 'buh' not 'bwoah'

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Good opportunity to learn some Italian, even if the job is UK based, you never know when it might come in handy

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Madagascar hasn't shut its borders yet, it's probably fine.

Three people out of hundreds have cold symptoms after travelling from Europe in March.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Khablam posted:

LOL!!! Is that a Plague Inc joke!?!?

In 2020, one for the old schoolers :coal:

But seriously symptomatic people self isolating is nothing to panic about. Cancelling an outdoor event is just security theatre. Wash your hands.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a shame people breathe through the top of their heads like a whale, if we had mouths and noses on the front there'd be minimal danger from the top of heads being breathed on.

People sneezing into their hands and touching surfaces without washing them is a far bigger problem unless someone is coughing directly into your mouth or licks your eyeball or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's easier to divide reported deaths by reported cases and come up with a scary headline figure than to determine how many asymptomatic or unreported cases there are, especially when most of the numbers are coming out of places where they've been overwhelmed and can only deal with severe cases.

GP friends of mine reckon they may well have been dealing with cases all winter, but without any way to distinguish it from any other virus with similar symptoms. There have been some unusually nasty 'colds' this winter.

It's not nice, but unless you have other complications the danger of attending an F1 race is not high. If you are 80 and have heart or lung problems, you probably shouldn't be breathing in F1 fumes anyway.