Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sorry but if these aren't on the first page I lose track of them when i need to post them urgently

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Can you imagine the backlog of diarrhea-level posting that would build up if there was no worst thread for 4 weeks? Now picture the first page of the thread when it opens. (hint: google image search any Jackson Pollock painting but imagine every colour is brown.)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

MZ posted:

Merc's clever dual-axis steering has been deemed legal for this season but banned for '21.

So either everyone is going to spend the first half of the season scrambling to copy it or just forget everything and focus on next year's car?

It hasn't been banned, that rule states they CAN ban it for 2021 (even if it's legal) if they don't feel it adds anything to F1. Mercedes figure it's probably win/win, if it's allowed for this season then the other teams have to try and copy it which wastes R&D resources, then if it's banned at the end of the season everyone's in the same boat.

e; ok it has been banned now

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 21, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Was that a Haas throttle mapping error or does Kmag just have bricks for feet because that was super dumb.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lol Nigel was not average, he was an incredible driver who just did not give a poo poo about driving and would rather be playing golf 24/7

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the UK has no average racing drivers it has extremely good drivers and then extremely bad Max Chiltons bringing it down to "average". Frankly it's only Lewis that's keeping us at the top of the table right now.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ant davidson proved he was world class in other series' he just never really had a car to post results in f1

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVc0MBPFNw

:britain:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1230997400266952705

Fuckin love Toto. That's the difference between having a leader as a team principal versus a speccy Where's Wally clone or a Horny Homewrecker.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Also, if this could be the thread title that would be great:

quote:

@grosjeanromain: Grosjean is such a terrible driver.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Go Leclerc and Kimi, gently caress everyone else. Hopefully I’ll be motivated to watch more than 3 races this year, but I somehow doubt it.

maybe you'll luck out and the 3 races you watch will be the ones Kimi actually bothers to concentrate at this season

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

I think that's now appropriate that Palmer has healed his brian.

This is MUCH WORSE

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

track day bro! posted:

im more dissapointed that some goon decided to give lowtax more money and not just let this bad fail site die

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

I'll livestream myself jerking off to one of quid's beer reviews if Hamilton doesn't win the WDC.

Serious toxxes only please, joking around pretending that Hamilton won't win the WDC is pointless

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

If Stroll podiums this year I will commission 1500quid to do a rendition of the Canadian national anthem on his new synth that must be posted on on the first page of all future f1 threads :toxx:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"we're not owned, we're not owned!" Williams continue to insist as their cars are slowly crushed and recycled into Ford Cortinas

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The Croc posted:

they should go full early 90s benetton

You mean on fire?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

andyf posted:

lmao what is this fresh nonsense? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-fia-engine-private-settlement/4700615/

“The wording of the FIA statement is especially intriguing, as the governing body does not state that it found the power unit to have fully complied with the regulations.”

So Ferrari threw a ton of money at the FIA basically saying "Look we cheated but PLEASE don't tell anyone because we still couldn't get third in the WDC and it would be massively humiliating for us"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the kentucky quid posted:

Ferrari didn’t cheat. The FIA would’ve said if they were.

this an insane take considering ferrari definitely cheated and we saw them lose 4 tenths on the straights as soon as it was brought to light.

e: ahahaha, as part of the settlement Ferrari will be made to "assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."

Yeah totally the kind of settlement deal you make with a team that did nothing wrong.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 28, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The FIA never said they cheated. This sounds like slander.

Slander implies I'm damaging their reputation. If anything I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying they're competent enough to deliberately cheat. There's a fair to middling chance that they just accidently built an engine so badly they couldn't regulate the fuel flow properly

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

mrfart posted:

So, are the tifosi or the verstappen fans gonna bring the virus to australia?

Yes

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

This drive2survive season is fantastic. Watching horner mismanage Gasly so completely actually makes me feel sorry for him

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the paradigm shift posted:

also funny was lewis right at the beginning not even giving a drat about remembering the team's name

And then right after toto introducing himself and doing exactly the same thing.

Then Bottas nailing it and looking smug

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

In fact I gave Gasly a huge amount of poo poo but just watching what a garbage loving team Red Bull is is enough to see its 90% on them how he performed after his bad start to the season

That episode was hard to watch. Goddamn any Red Bull and by extension Max Verstappen fans should just gently caress themselves with a large stick

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 28, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What happened?

They are so unbelievably hostile. Obviously it's editorialised but even in context its clear their strategy of managing Gasly was "be condescending and vague and offer no real help and just expect him to do better by telling him 'just drive faster'"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

djssniper posted:

It's not a sport you should need help in, Horner pretty much said it at the beginning, you perform or you're out (broadly all jobs he meant though)

It's more the fact that red bull should be a one car team. If performance is all that matters then why did they push out ricciardo? A driver that performed just as well as Verstappen on any given race day.

Then they have the temerity to complain that they're running a one - legged race and should be doing better in the WCC? Maybe don't throw your other driver under the bus if you want them to help you win

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sainz looked so incredibly miserable and depressed in Marks and Spencers imagine what the Lidl car park would do to him

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

Climbin up a ladder through the window to say: good post

bwwooooeeeeeaaaammmmmmmmm

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

The point isn't that winning that race was some unconscionable feat of excellence, but that he had a clear and present mind to be in the hunt and not gently caress it up.
People think RBR were overly harsh on Gasly but seem to have forgotten to watch the season. To wit, he was finally fired after being lapped by Max in one race (with no excuse for why) and then in the next, costing Max a win because he was more than a pit-stop behind leaving Lewis a completely free stop.
He's also doing fine where he is now, so it's not like the lad is on the streets of Paris somewhere, or worse, Formula E.

No-one is saying that Gasly was world class, just that RBR is just a very obviously toxic atmosphere with little to no management and not enough resources to support 2 drivers. If they had been able to manage Gasly he would have been able to finish much better (as evidenced by his much stronger relative performances in the Toro Rosso) and probably take more points of the Ferrari/Mercs when it was possible to do so. Instead they ran him into the ground then criticised the resulting mess that they caused and cried about not being able to challenge for second in the WCC. Having to kick a driver mid season smacks of terrible decision making and they don't have the talent pool to dip into if Albon isn't able to keep up this season.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

You're projecting a lot here, this doesn't remotely line up with what is actually shown in D2S.

Ok so out of the following driver pairings, please point out the ones where RBR did a good job managing them both:

Webber- Vettel
Vettel - Ricciardo
Ricciardo - Verstappen
Verstappen - Gasly

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about.

NtotheTC posted:

RBR is just a very obviously toxic atmosphere with little to no management and not enough resources to support 2 drivers

that's exactly what I was talking about?

e: If what you're arguing about is that Gasly couldn't have done better in a team that had, say, Toto Wolff at the helm then that's another laughable suggestion. You can't possibly pretend that there's no mental element to competing at the highest level of sport.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 2, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

You're so weird about this. Why can't you talk about the thing you're talking about? Stop pivoting to other poo poo.

Ok comprehension is not your strong suit so I'll do the crayon version, here are my talking points:

1) RBR are a bad toxic team with poo poo management

2) The poo poo management is a large part of the reason Gasly sucked poo poo so badly last season

3) The above statement is not synonymous with "Gasly is an amazing driver"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

Gasly sucks and was bad at Red Bull because he collapsed under the pressure of a bigger team. Albon did perfectly fine ergo your brain is broken.

Gasly is not a good driver, 100% agreed. He's not even Hulkenberg level I'd put him somewhere around Grosjean/Perez.

HOWEVER

he's not "lapped by Max at the Redbull Ring" bad. He can clearly drive a car fast enough (because he did it in the TR) to be 3rd/4th on the days where the Red Bull was the fastest car and was winning races. And no that's not a spectacular performance, and it's probably not even enough to keep his seat come the end of the season, but it would have got RBR their 2nd WCC place and maybe not completely destroy one of the drivers from their meagre talent pool. And all they had to do was not have Marko/Horner trying to manage a situation that they don't have the ability to manage.

Also Albon got a completely pressure free environment and did well and you think that proves your point and not mine?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Say what? Do you know how much those 8oz cans cost at the convenience store?

I was talking brainpower resources

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It’s a mentality thing. They/KTM treat their riders the exact same way in MotoGP.

I don't know anything about MotoGP but a quick google search makes KTM sound like a garbage team for idiots so I'm assuming this post is agreeing with me

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

I actually watched the show too, dumbshit, and I don't like the team either. Yet when they are talking with the guy they are encouraging him at every point.

How can that possibly be your take away from that show? Are you Captain Bligh?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Frond posted:

Perez is better than Hulkenberg.

Can we take this discussion seriously please

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hulk is bottom tier and the fact that he keeps getting a drive is one of life’s biggest mysteries

boy do I have a spoiler for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think you can probably just officially name Lewis GOAT and cancel the sport for good at this point