Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the corona quid posted:

Must be nice to not work for a stingey financial institution 🤷🏼‍♂️

My financial institution is letting people take just about whatever they have on their desks home if they need it.

They’ve always been responsive to requests like that though, even before this WFH people had full setups at home and fully equipped ‘hotel’ stations in our various locations.

Only computers have asset tags, everything else could just disappear and no one would ever know where it went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frond posted:

Japanese Autosport reports that Bottas is talking to Renault because his Mercedes seat is under threat.

Dunno how credible that is.

Don’t forget Toto is also his manager, so this seems unlikely.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Norris third in the WDC. McLaren second, McLaren have both fastest laps.

Imagine being the guy who just signed to Ferrari from McLaren...

Sainz has always been a ladder climber, and even Ferrari in a bad way is a good move for your post race car driver career. If the new regulations hadn't been delayed, it might have turned out better, but he is going to suffer through 2021.

Norris at a merc powered McLaren is going to be something to watch, though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Racing Point: With the driver market shaping up the way it is, we have a big decision to make about wether we replace Sergio Perez or Lance Stroll.

Hulkenberg: Why not both?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I still struggle to understand why Ferrari picked up Sainz

His dad knows everybody.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Halo saved him. The front 'foot' pushed the barrier up and over the cockpit, instead of letting it ram into his face.

I thought all the old barriers like that were long gone, though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe he steered that way. It looked more like the car started to pull right? :(

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

goddamn karun with the zapruder analysis showing it was possibly stroll's fault

I thought he might have hit that debris, but he had the steering angle hard over. I don't get it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Woofer posted:

Give the engineers, suit designers, track marshals, and the guy who came up with the halo all of the money and accolades they want. This should be a really different mood and conversation right now.

Hans device as well, it would have stopped his head smashing into the steering wheel and being rendered unconscious. Lots of hard earned lessons at work here.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Leclerc radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6TO5JBvzgM

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, safety car finish.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Woofer posted:

The fact that the guard rail gave way like that blows my mind. I hit a guard rail doing about 50mph once (albeit not head on) and I would challenge anyone to spot on the guard rail where I had hit it. It had a minor dent but you had to look really hard for it (my car was totaled).

I know he was doing 135+mph but I’m still amazed at how strong the halo and monocoque are.

Armco has a lot of tensile strength, but isn't good against forces outside of the 'plane' it presents.

If the nose of the car had caught one of the barrier members directly, instead of slipping between them, I think it would have flexed and held. Because the penetration pushed the barriers members 'up' and 'down' where they aren't designed to be strong, they got pushed aside pretty easily. That's also said with the understanding that the monocoque is much, much stronger than a regular vehicle would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bottas is poo poo, but that was all about the tire difference, you could see how one car hooked it up and the other didn't.