Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Like, don't get me wrong, I had plenty of friends as a youth and while in college. But as an adult- aka, having a job, house, car and spouse, I can instantly recognize the fact that I have no friends. And I'm ok with this. In fact, I prefer it. I text no one, have zero social media presence, never interact with other humans except in cases of necessity, and I'm happy.

However, this long period without interaction has definitely had its drawbacks. It's extremely difficult for me to converse with fellow humans. And now I don't want to have friends because I don't like getting out of my routine or schedule. Meeting up with people on a Friday or Saturday night? How am I supposed to wake up early, poo poo, then go to the gym?

I like what I like. and having zero friends is what I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve got like two irl friends that I talk to regularly, about 570 online ones.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Calling it, Countdown to suicide.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I have several. Most are over 60 and Unitarians. Dunno why. Oh yeah cause they have good weed and you can admit to being a democrat in their presence and they won’t tell you “liberals get the bullet, too”.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I have several. Most are over 60 and Unitarians. Dunno why. Oh yeah cause they have good weed and you can admit to being a democrat in their presence and they won’t tell you “liberals get the bullet, too”.

Aren't those the bad guys from Dead Space?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Yeah I got 3: TV, videogames, and semi-erotic wizard fiction

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I have 3 friends that I get together with once a month, and 6 friends that try to get together twice a year (though it sometimes works out that someone can't make it, usually the guy who literally lives 3500 miles away now). There is some overlap, but not 100%.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Aren't those the bad guys from Dead Space?

Never played it. It would be kind of weird if the bad guys in that game were a bunch of Star Trek-style humanists. Unless things went horribly wrong, of course, which sounds pretty cool.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah I do and we do fun things together on weekends or when they don't have to watch their kids for the evening

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Burt that's really not the intended use of the probation function.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I can instantly recognize the fact that I have no friends. And I'm ok with this. In fact, I prefer it. I text no one, have zero social media presence, never interact with other humans except in cases of necessity, and I'm happy.

Can relate.

The spouse is the only "friend" I really need. She knows me more than anyone else ever did and ever could, and loves me for all I am (or despite of it?).

Beyond that I have close acquaintances that I have semi-regular contact with through my SJW online media and documentary work (that's all I'm gonna say for fear of doxxing myself), wonderful people that I'm at the same wavelength with both professionally, politically, socially and the occasional get together, but ultimately I too can say I'm happy with how things are as they are.

There was a time where the parties were more frequent, the intoxicated getting-to-know-a-bunch-of-randoms-on-the-surface were enjoyable... in my mid-thirties now, things are, I feel, where they should be.

Thanks OP, I feel good about my life right now. Voting 5.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dudeness posted:

Call me when you drop the 'semi-', rook.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

dudeness posted:

So when you have me put on the hat and robe, it's only semi-enjoyable?

Not gonna pretend that doesn't hurt.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I can finally afford to party as hard as I want but everybody is now bogged down with kids so I just do stuff with my wife exclusively.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
knowing people in person is overrated

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I dont have friends but sid is my online frenemy and isaac is my online enemy.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I used to have house party’s with 30 people or more. Now I nap.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I can finally afford to party as hard as I want but everybody is now bogged down with kids so I just do stuff with my wife exclusively.

Drug your friends’ kids, you just doubled your friends. You can thank me when you’re on parole.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
start a nerd game night OP. or 'board game night' if you think of yourself as 'too cool for nerd poo poo'. or any routine get together, really. it's the routine that keeps things going in my opinion

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I play in a lovely rock cover band and I practice martial arts so I do have some friend like social interactions. But outside of my spouse nobody with any sort of deeper personal connection beyond a shared hobby. I also work from home so it does get lonely tbqh.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

In the south outside of the big cities, it's weird if you move away and break this unspoken "unit". Everyone knows everybody in their grade-range growing up, regardless of what school you go to or where you live. People act like we're supposed to stay together forever and those who don't get this really weird treatment, where people talk about them like they're dead and -freak out- almost like a golden retriever greeting their master, should the person/people return back to their hometown.

I have both real life and online friends. I have friends that were real life and are now online because of moving circumstances. I have friends online that I dearly wish were close enough to be real life friends. And I have people I haven't spoken to since middle school who run into my mom at the grocery store and are the exact same person they were 20 years ago, get in touch, and still remember factoids about poo poo I liked back then. They still like it. Sometimes I still like it, too. But it's this weird, hazy thing, like these people just froze and never expanded beyond the last we spoke.

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014

Pitdragon posted:

start a nerd game night OP. or 'board game night' if you think of yourself as 'too cool for nerd poo poo'. or any routine get together, really. it's the routine that keeps things going in my opinion

But be prepared for at least a third of respondents to be seriously dysfunctional. There's a reason why people lonely enough to go to a stranger's game night are that lonely.

I have a few friends but I'm single. There were a few rough years there where they were raising young kids and everything had to revolve around that but now that the kids are teenagers we get to do grownup stuff.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Me! I'll be real, it's hard to make keep friends but its good.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have adult friends. We drink beer together at our kids birthday parties. Then sometimes we put a movie on in the basement and play records and order takeout and drink more. It's pretty fun.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

I used to have house party’s with 30 people or more. Now I nap.

For my stepson's 18th birthday, he had about 60 people in the house. Me and the (much older than me, obviously) mother arrived not too long after it had reached its peak.
We were pissed.*

*E: we kicked everyone out.

That's when I realized I was now an old, way before my time.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 22, 2020

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Scott Lame posted:

But be prepared for at least a third of respondents to be seriously dysfunctional. There's a reason why people lonely enough to go to a stranger's game night are that lonely.

Where do I meet all these disgusting Zero Charisma dudes? I’m seriously tired of gaming with normals.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

friends is byob poo poo, grow up

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
this lady from the internet just moved into my apartment and started making my lunch and doing laundry and poo poo and i dont really understand

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

youre posted:

friends is byob poo poo, grow up

You need to be less angry. Make some friends.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
does the lord count as a friend?

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down

gary oldmans diary posted:

does the lord count as a friend?

what miracles can you do?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

:smuggo:

]

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

all the friends i made over the years got to know eachother and have settled in to some kind of hippie commune style of childcare where someone who's busy with poo poo at home watches peoples kids while everyone else goes out to get hammered. seems to work pretty well. helps that all my friends are broke alcoholics with mental problems and they know it so o ly a few had kids because most of them know better than to inflict their genetic timebomb dna on others

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a girlfriend and most of my friends were her friends first so my recommendation to OP is get a sociable partner and leech off their social life

youre
Dec 30, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

You need to be less angry. Make some friends.

can we be friends

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Vegetable posted:

I have a girlfriend and most of my friends were her friends first so my recommendation to OP is get a sociable partner and leech off their social life

Unironically a thousand times this.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I only have lovers.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
If you ever find yourself referring to other people as "fellow humans", maybe seek therapy.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
The greatest part of being an adult is the validation that it's okay to not have friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I've got one friend who really is just a guy I get hosed up with a lot.