Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i have friends and a long term gf

its easy you just have to talk to people and if they like hanging out they'll hang out with you

most people do this at work and your coworkers will eventually get other jobs but you can keep contact and chill out and see movies and go out to dinner. you also can keep in contact with your friends from college or just go to a shared interest meetup in the place you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I still see childhood friends infrequently. Most of them are married and have kids so we see each other on long weekends or important dates like birthdays, but most of my contact with them now is in text/groupchat

My main circle of friends I hang out with now I met by going to a local dog park regularly. I used to go almost everyday when my dog was a puppy for socialization and met other people who had similar aged dogs. We eventually started doing weekend hikes and even now that I'm too busy to go to the dog park everyday, we still hike with our dogs every weekend and usually go for dinner once in a while.

I also have work friends who are basically the class/batch I got hired with and started a group chat with them so we could talk poo poo about the company and help each other out, but we ended up liking each other enough that we go for drinks once in a while after work.

It's fine, It's OK. I like hanging out and/or talking to the people above but sometimes I like to just turn off my phone and do as much drugs and alcohol as possible while not having to talk to anybody. Being social feels like a chore at times. But maybe I'm just brokebrained. Oh it's time for work again.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I have a few friends. Most of them are from my college days, though some are either my or or Mrs. Genesplicer's coworkers. If I were define "friend" as "somebody who we would call to see if they wanted to go to a movie with us", that is limited to about 6 people.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Like, don't get me wrong, I had plenty of friends as a youth and while in college. But as an adult- aka, having a job, house, car and spouse, I can instantly recognize the fact that I have no friends. And I'm ok with this. In fact, I prefer it. I text no one, have zero social media presence, never interact with other humans except in cases of necessity, and I'm happy.

However, this long period without interaction has definitely had its drawbacks. It's extremely difficult for me to converse with fellow humans. And now I don't want to have friends because I don't like getting out of my routine or schedule. Meeting up with people on a Friday or Saturday night? How am I supposed to wake up early, poo poo, then go to the gym?

I like what I like. and having zero friends is what I like.

Same.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There's a really strong societal bias that views extraversion as good and introversion as bad, and that forms a fair amount of background prejudice. It's kind of like the positivity bias, where if you aren't happy then there is something wrong with you - it's often harmless but veers easily into hosed up and judgy poo poo.

I'm introverted as hell, and not in the terminally-online "10 signs you're an empath" sort of bullshit way. Like in terms of personality trait introversion, which is actually a thing. I'm fine with people, but even people I like can just be exhausting to be around sometimes. It's enough to deal with work and family - having another layer of "friends" who also demand my time and attention is not something that sounds appealing to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also weird how a bunch of posts assume everyone is married or otherwise in a LTR as an adult

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There's a really strong societal bias that views extraversion as good and introversion as bad, and that forms a fair amount of background prejudice. It's kind of like the positivity bias, where if you aren't happy then there is something wrong with you - it's often harmless but veers easily into hosed up and judgy poo poo.

I'm introverted as hell, and not in the terminally-online "10 signs you're an empath" sort of bullshit way. Like in terms of personality trait introversion, which is actually a thing. I'm fine with people, but even people I like can just be exhausting to be around sometimes. It's enough to deal with work and family - having another layer of "friends" who also demand my time and attention is not something that sounds appealing to me.

i mean i get needing alone time, i do too. after enough time around others i want to be by myself for a bit.

that said, how much time are you putting in on the job? are you clocking 40 a week or are you getting ground down extra hard by your job?

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

for the safety of others please do not make any more friends.

I'm fine with this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMWYcQ1fAo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also weird how a bunch of posts assume everyone is married or otherwise in a LTR as an adult

i mean i get needing alone time, i do too. after enough time around others i want to be by myself for a bit.

that said, how much time are you putting in on the job? are you clocking 40 a week or are you getting ground down extra hard by your job?

I do roughly 40 hour weeks, although admittedly I have other things going on which make everything more draining. I am actually really happy with my job - it's stressful to some extent but low on my list of worries. But even with more energy and if other stressors were lower I still tend toward needing a lot time to myself. I'm pretty self-contained, which I probably inherited to some extent from my Dad - he is practically a hermit at this point.

I do sometimes feel I should make more of an effort to be connected with people, but holy hell it also feels like so much effort and so nerve-wracking to have further demands on my time that it has remained on the back burner and likely will for some time.