Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I'm seeing some very pretty palm trees with no other context. Notsobad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
I mean what do you want, its an indie forum, they dont have big corporate moneybags, and its not like lowtax is getting paid thousands of dollars by goons just for existing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Musharraf posted:

I mean what do you want, its an indie forum, they dont have big corporate moneybags, and its not like lowtax is getting paid thousands of dollars by goons just for existing.

The issues are:

-The ads look like the type you get if your browser or computer has a virus or malware
-They are appearing for people who purchased the no-ads feature

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Eh, I paid like $10 for no ads 10 years ago. I got my money's worth.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Pewdiepie posted:

Just use the awful app on your phone it’s programmed by someone completely unrelated to the forums administration and best of all it’s completely free.

Alternatively, you could try the Something App. It also is made by a separate guy, but doesn't look like it was designed with small children in mind as the user base. I don't know if it's still in the google play store, but I bet a google search might work. I'll stop browsing on my desktop when I'm loving dead and buried, thank you very much.

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

Jose Oquendo posted:

The issues are:

-The ads look like the type you get if your browser or computer has a virus or malware
Yeah, this is completely wrong. Mine are actually anti-malware.

Also, if you don't like it, go donate to Lowtax's patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage
He's making under $10k per month from goons, so how do you expect him to make a decent living without serving ads?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Musharraf posted:

Also, if you don't like it, go donate to Lowtax's patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage
He's making under $10k per month from goons, so how do you expect him to make a decent living without serving ads?

poor thing...only 10k?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

r u ready to WALK posted:

paging forums user "bird with a big dick"

What

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Musharraf posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean? Are the ads people are seeing malware or not?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
According to the QCS thread, this is not intentional

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

According to the QCS thread, this is not intentional

someone should really look into advertisement companies taking websites over by force.

Can someone check on the SA servers? Did a Google Strike Team rappel out of the airvents and stick a USB drive in the mainframe?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Getting ads despite having No-Ads? Sounds like a hilarious concept for a front-page SA article!

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean? Are the ads people are seeing malware or not?
I mean my ads are for anti-malware products. The ads themselves obviously aren't malware, they're the programmatic adaptive future revenue stream of Something Awful. Behold teh grand plan of logan@somethingawful.com.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Trying to buy no ads shows they are aware of multiple issues :lol: <blink>Apple's mail servers bounce our emails! We are looking into this. In the mean time, please do not use an iCloud (@me.com or @icloud.com) email address when checking outTHIS SHOULD BE BLINKING, WHY IS IT NOT WORKING</blink>

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Musharraf posted:

I mean my ads are for anti-malware products. The ads themselves obviously aren't malware, they're the programmatic adaptive future revenue stream of Something Awful. Behold teh grand plan of logan@somethingawful.com.

Yes you're correct. My complaint is that they LOOK like the kind you get when your browser is hijacked or something else malware related. All hail the programmatic adaptive future revenue stream.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

I wanted to mention again that we’re mainly waiting for advertising revenue to ramp up, as we’ve just implemented a new direct advertising campaign.

I realize this sounds like a raw deal at the moment in terms of payment in exchange for labor. However, people who want to start writing now will be given highest priority in both payment and approval.

The business has been left to lapse for quite some time. My role here is to make it a profitable business again, and it’s my obsession to do so.

If you don’t suspect that writing for the front page will ever be worth it in terms of pay and/or exposure, then I encourage you not to submit. We’re looking to build a team of people who are committed to making SA even better than it was a decade and a half ago.

I’m a businesswoman first and foremost, and it is against my morals to extract labor from people for free when I can afford to pay them. I see great potential in the future of SA as an entertainment brand, and if you do too, then we’d love to have you as a member of the team.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rectal Death Adept posted:

someone should really look into advertisement companies taking websites over by force.

Can someone check on the SA servers? Did a Google Strike Team rappel out of the airvents and stick a USB drive in the mainframe?

Forget it, Jake: It's Radiumtown

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

lol where is this from?

The ads i get are evolving
"California Psychics"
The gently caress ads: "7 women for every man," "87% compassionate beautiful women"
"Historical Font Database"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol these ads are seedy as gently caress they really do like the kinda poo poo you see when there's viruses

FOLK STYLE FISTING
Jan 2, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We're all digital natives ripe for monetization

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Alien Sex Manual posted:

No ads on Awful App :smuggo:

Other than the fact that I can't post new threads from the app on Android (and have to log in via browser to do so), the app is exceptional. And no ads! :hmmyes:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol where is this from?

The ads i get are evolving
"California Psychics"
The gently caress ads: "7 women for every man," "87% compassionate beautiful women"
"Historical Font Database"

A now gassed front page thread.

According to Jeffrey of YOSPOS it was a change to the ad script on Google's side.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

FOLK STYLE FISTING posted:

We're all digital natives ripe for monetization

The term digital natives is so retarded I can't lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Listen I also have an amazing internship you might be interested in, you’ll have to pay us to intern but think of the experience you’ll get

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm curious who, if not people committed to this website, is posting on the Something Awful forums in the year 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright so i'm also getting ads for "stylish large-cup swimwear"

Sort of getting a picture here. In the algorithm i'm an apparently wealthy geriatric lesbian with some killer jugs and i'm into woo-y mumbo jumbo and not paying taxes

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I've never experienced "ads you see when you have a virus" but they definitely look like the ads at the bottom of an xvideos video.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I just got one for "premier Odessa dating solution #1 results-based dating" and one that was just a fit middle aged dude on a computer that had a cyber-looking lock on the screen and a BUY NOW! button

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Finally the nudge I needed to get the awful app I guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah, hands down the algo got me pinned:

Lesbian over 50 with huge tits and horny as hell. Wants to party, into new age mumbo jumbo and fancy kinds of water. Wealthy and into luxury goods of all kinds. Won't pay taxes.

FOLK STYLE FISTING
Jan 2, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lowtax, https://freestar.com/ is just providing you access to an aggressive header bidding script that you could be running for free via prebid.js. It would take any competent programmer less than a half hour to set that up and you wouldn't have to do a rev share with a third party.

Also, header bidding allows all kinds of unsavory and malicious ads to be run on the site. HTH

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You should tell Jeffrey over in QCS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm already getting ads like "should we deport the illegals??"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lowtax, https://freestar.com/ is just providing you access to an aggressive header bidding script that you could be running for free via prebid.js. It would take any competent programmer less than a half hour to set that up and you wouldn't have to do a rev share with a third party.

Also, header bidding allows all kinds of unsavory and malicious ads to be run on the site. HTH

I am going to laugh so hard if this is a result of the "programmatic direct ad sales" campaign

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Yeah,, I paid for No Ads. Looks like I got the Free Upgrade to Mo Ads!

Luckily, uBlock Origin hides this completely.

FOLK STYLE FISTING
Jan 2, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
programmatic ads is industry slang for "we will send bid requests for each ad slot to a bunch of fly by night ad networks for each impression, and whoever bids the highest for each slot, wins the bid auction and gets their ad presented"

edit: in other words, "no human approves the ads that run on your site, and we can't even tell which ad network is responsible for the offensive ads/malware infections you are complaining about."

FOLK STYLE FISTING fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 23, 2020

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
no, gently caress you ads!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I don't know what's worse, that the people in charge possibly implemented this without saying anything, or that people who aren't in charge are able to inject their own ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

programmatic ads is industry slang for "we will send bid requests for each ad slot to a bunch of fly by night ad networks for each impression, and whoever bids the highest for each slot, wins the bid auction and gets their ad presented"

edit: in other words, "no human approves the ads that run on your site, and we can't even tell which ad network is responsible for the offensive ads/malware infections you are complaining about."

Yeah, I'm just laughing at the thought of this being done to further monetize the site without informing the site admin, resulting in some poo poo going sideways, but at least in a harmless way*.

*As opposed to drive-by malware ads or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They're turned off and, uhh, it turns out Google didn't do it.