Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I recently saw a video of a volcano erupting, ( https://i.imgur.com/zlFaS8y.mp4 ) and it kind of kicked loose some old memory I had rattling around in my head of a game I played a tiny bit as a kid(late 90s).
And since this subforum's popped up, I figured there might be others in a similar position to me, with vague recollections of games from their youth that aren't particularly google-able. And an interest in finding out what those games actually were.
Kinda like the 'Lost SA Stuff' thread in PYF, just oriented towards older games instead.

If not, ah well. Atleast I'm getting this question out there:

Does anyone remember a game, possibly SNES or PC: (Played it on a pc in 1998-2000 sometime, and my older brother used to emulate snes games on that pc as well. So I have no idea if it was SNES or otherwise.)
It starts with you fleeing a greco-roman city that's getting blasted by a volcanic eruption? (Almost guaranteed to be Pompeii)
I cannot remember much anything of it other than the kicking rad death screen you got if you failed, with the lava overtaking you and your corpse just lying in it. That image stuck with me, the rest of the game did not.
Graphics were 16bit or DOS-like, which is what makes me unsure what platform it was.
Game might have been top-down or isometric, but not a platformer. (Though again, only really the death screen stuck with me.)

Very imprecise and possibly vaguely embellished mspaint included for reference:

The orange part is lava.

e: After a few more rounds of searching I actually ended up finally finding it, surprisingly enough.

The game was Rome: Pathway to Power, apparently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btMA0ChOMkQ

SubNat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i remember as a kid having a dream about a video game where you went through some misty cave and got out the other-side and went to this village and it got blown up if this already sounds familiar to you its because like a decade and a half later i discovered it was final fantasy 2(snes) and it blew my mind because i had no recollection of ever playing it but i had super strong memories of the gameplay in a dream

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Might as well try this here. I don't even know if anybody will give me any hits.

So yonks ago when I was in 7th grade, my social studies teacher had what I have to assume was an old Apple II or something, since I distinctly recall it had a monochrome green screen. (Bear in mind this was the mid 90s, so even by those standards this thing was an antique.) I'm not sure if this was some sort of educational software or an actual game, but she would have us play this thing on the computer in turns in which you would play an archaeologist digging around the ruins of Jamestown. You'd set up a perimeter, dig, and you might find something. If I recall correctly, it was primarily ASCII based or else I would draw a crappy picture of it.

I'm usually pretty good at finding things about games but somehow this one has completely eluded me. If anybody else knows about something like this, I'd love to hear it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Early 2000s or late 90s PC game that I only played a demo of on my divorced dad's laptop when he came to visit. You flew a hovercar around a futuristic city (think Bladerunner) doing random missions, and I think a lot of them were just taxi jobs. Sometimes you'd get attacked by random assholes and I believe your car could get guns and rockets to defend itself with. It didn't really play like a flight sim at all, in fact I think you were locked to a single plane so no, it's not Hardwar. What stood out for me was that there was a lot of AI traffic just flying around, probably my first experience with such a populated world. Fully 3D graphics with a dark & neon cyberpunk atmosphere. Like I said though, I only ever played the demo so who knows how it opened up.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 25, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, got another one. This one played one afternoon on a friend's computer must be over 20 years ago. First-person tank game, none of us could figure out the controls until it was too late so we only ever saw the beginning. You start out on a landing strip or something and to your left is a big battleship that starts shooting at you. We figured out the throttle but not how to turn and if you just go forwards you fall into the water and sink. Either 2.5D or early 3D, flat-shaded polygons, if you can figure this one out you must be some kind of savant.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Mordja posted:

Early 2000s or late 90s PC game that I only played a demo of on my divorced dad's laptop when he came to visit. You flew a hovercar around a futuristic city (think Bladerunner) doing random missions, and I think a lot of them were just taxi jobs. Sometimes you'd get attacked by random assholes and I believe your car could get guns and rockets to defend itself with. It didn't really play like a flight sim at all, in fact I think you were locked to a single plane so no, it's not Hardwar. What stood out for me was that there was a lot of AI traffic just flying around, probably my first experience with such a populated world. Fully 3D graphics with a dark & neon cyberpunk atmosphere. Like I said though, I only ever played the demo so who knows how it opened up.

Quarantine? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(video_game)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nope, definitely later than that and fully 3D. No pedestrians as far as I know. Plus the cars actually flew, like I said, think Bladerunner.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, so some searching of my own makes me think it's either BHunter or Crime Cities, leaning towards the former. Gotta say though, both games still look kinda good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAfMjQ2BU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3EuZlsJH0

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

An arcade game where you ride a motorcycle and it had cel-shaded graphics like Jet Set Radio.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Spikey posted:

An arcade game where you ride a motorcycle and it had cel-shaded graphics like Jet Set Radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWTHTN6ngg
Wild Riders? Not entirely surprising that it's also by SEGA.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

A multiplayer arcade game where you're on a motorcycle and shoot stuff (I think) with a button on the bike, and it makes "POW POW POW POW" sounds. I remember it in a Chuck E. Cheese in Georgia around the early 2000s and it was at least 2 player. It was one of those scaling 2D games.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Old arcade game, shoot'em'up controls and vertical perspective but you controlled people walking on the ground instead of ships. I believe you could choose between characters with different shot spreads and one of them was a guy in blue and a chick in red? I clearly remember one of the bosses was a couple of sumo wrestlers.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

An MS dos shareware game where you're a spaceship jumping on paths with backgrounds that were mostly pictures of planets, star-systems, and other spacey stuff. There was also an explicitly "X-Mas" edition floppy which is what I first played.

Also a Sega(?) arcade game where you're hanggliding through canyons popping balloons or flying through rings for bonus points. Late 90s Dreamcast era I think with era-3D graphics

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 4, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

An MS dos shareware game where you're a spaceship jumping on paths with backgrounds that were mostly pictures of planets, star-systems, and other spacey stuff. There was also an explicitly "X-Mas" edition floppy which is what I first played.

Could it be this?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Also a Sega(?) arcade game where you're hanggliding through canyons popping balloons or flying through rings for bonus points. Late 90s Dreamcast era I think with era-3D graphics

Hang Pilot?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
There's a very active thread for this in the main Games subforum. You'd probably have more success by locking this thread and just using that one.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It sounds more like SkyRoads to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got another one I've been trying to figure out. Early to mid 2000s I think, I've attached an image that sums it up.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Mordja posted:

I've got another one I've been trying to figure out. Early to mid 2000s I think, I've attached an image that sums it up.

That's Daikatana

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Prop Cycle.

It was by Namco and actually pre-dated the Dreamcast!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ok, NES game, platformer, you shot some kind of energy things from your forearms? I think maybe in the second level there was a bunch of guys driving flying motorcycles?

There was also a pc game where you grew creatures that you could send to fight as like an isometric rts. I remember you could grow an organ that was some kind of sonic weapon

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I remember playing a game on NES at my friends house when we were kids. All I remember was you may have been a wizard? Going through a dungeon or something, I know it was extremely hard and we hated it but I really want to remember what the hell it was

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Morand posted:

I remember playing a game on NES at my friends house when we were kids. All I remember was you may have been a wizard? Going through a dungeon or something, I know it was extremely hard and we hated it but I really want to remember what the hell it was

Solstice?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

This inspired me to google, it's apparently called The Immortal

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dell_Zincht posted:

Prop Cycle.

Wow

Thank you for answering my own "games you barely remember" question that I had not even asked because it would have been too dumb: "does anyone remember an arcade game where there was a character named like 'Zizzi' and a really annoying character talked to him in a cutscene?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyBVh62O-g&t=94s

(misheard by a friend in our loud arcade as "Zizy! I'm pregnant!" which needless to say got repeated about a thousand times as an inside joke)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

It sounds more like SkyRoads to me.

It was SkyRoads, thanks!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Prop Cycle.

Holy poo poo, thanks as well

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I've got one that's been driving me insane for awhile.

Monochrome Mac game, this would have been around 1988-1990.
Overhead tank game, I distinctly remember the playfield being made up of small blocks, and the tanks themselves were fairly small. You could destroy the blocks that made up the playfield with enough fire or powerful enough ammunition, and every hit your tank took caused your controls to glitch up worse and worse until you couldn't control your motion anymore and exploded.
It had an upgrade system of sorts, different kinds of ammunition and armor (which just made it take more hits before you lost all control and exploded).

For some reason, the world 'waldo' pops into my head when I think of it, but it's never been any help in finding it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i don't remember there being a monochromatic version, but it wasn't Bolo, was it?

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Phantasium posted:

i don't remember there being a monochromatic version, but it wasn't Bolo, was it?

No, it wasn't. The game I'm thinking of had a single player mode, for one thing.
I've also played a lot of Bolo, having been cursed with a school system that really liked Macs back in the he 90s.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

PsyClops posted:

No, it wasn't. The game I'm thinking of had a single player mode, for one thing.
I've also played a lot of Bolo, having been cursed with a school system that really liked Macs back in the he 90s.

Do either of these look familiar?

Tank Commander by Brian Sutter

OMEGA by Origin

The one that sprang to mind immediately when you mentioned monochrome overhead tank game for Mac was Let's Get Tanked, but that didn't have the upgrade system you mentioned, nor destructible blocks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A handheld LCD game my cousins owned in the '90s. I could be remembering wrong, but I could swear that this game had Fur Elise as its stage music. Trying to search the internet for details of this game have just yielded either Youtube videos of Fur Elise or information about the song.

This one is obscure and I doubt anyone will know what game it was: while staying at some friends' house in mid-1991, we played what I think was a sports-related game on their computer. I remember that the William Tell Overture was the music for one part of that game.

I guess I seem to remember the music before anything else when it comes to classic games.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fps where one of the enemies was a huge 8ball

E: fps but you play as a wizard, may or may not be the same game? 7th corridor or something?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 16, 2020

Parachute
May 18, 2003
my friend had some demo disc about 25 years ago on pc and there were a bunch of random games on it including hugo's house of horrors, halloween harry, and some game that looked exactly like wolfenstein but you threw meat at people. help me find this meat game

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Parachute posted:

my friend had some demo disc about 25 years ago on pc and there were a bunch of random games on it including hugo's house of horrors, halloween harry, and some game that looked exactly like wolfenstein but you threw meat at people. help me find this meat game

Are you sure it was meat and not jelly? Because if it's jelly,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JH2kezTnRg&t=114s

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Are you sure it was meat and not jelly? Because if it's jelly,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JH2kezTnRg&t=114s

it very well could have been this, thanks! the 'meat' im remembering definitely looked similar to that. im going to consult my childhood friend i havent talked to in roughly 15 years just to ask them if they can remember any other details.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

NAG posted:

Do either of these look familiar?

Tank Commander by Brian Sutter

OMEGA by Origin

The one that sprang to mind immediately when you mentioned monochrome overhead tank game for Mac was Let's Get Tanked, but that didn't have the upgrade system you mentioned, nor destructible blocks.

Tank Commander is much closer to the style I seem to recall.
I'll see if I can get it loaded into an emulator later, thanks!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gameboy or Gameboy Color game where you built these little robots and battled people.

The overworld was a town, I mostly remember fights at a playground and a construction yard or something like that.

One of the bots kind of looked like a Xenomorph, one was like Sailor Moon.

You'd get money from winning fights and could use it to upgrade your bot.

I loved this thing as a kid but have no idea what it's called, and there were apparently a TON of games with this general premise so it's extremely hard to google.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That's definitely Power Quest. Great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That's definitely Power Quest. Great game.

Yeah, the nostalgia hit me the second I looked that up. So many long car trips instantly remembered.

Thank you!!!