Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Domus posted:

Congo bongo? Has logs and alligators.

No, that’s not it either. I remember the min guy being quite big, seen from the back. I’m starting to think this might actually be a constructed memory combined from many different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tac Dibar posted:

No, that’s not it either. I remember the min guy being quite big, seen from the back. I’m starting to think this might actually be a constructed memory combined from many different games.

Mobygames has nine Atari 2600 action games with a from-behind view and none of them seem to match. (They don't have every game in the world, of course.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looking for a game, either freeware or shareware, from either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a, what I now understand to be, roguelike that actually worked like the original Rogue in that enemies only took actions when you did. It was sort of "cleanliness" themed in that you were shooting bubbles and stuff at evil germs or dirt or something, maybe it was actually full-on Innerspace themed? Quite bizzare. Pretty basic, 2D graphics, grid-based, I think you played as some sort of little tank. Thinking harder, it was actually more of a shooter, though, in that there were no invisible dice rolls: if you or an enemy got hit by a projectile, you got hit. I don't think there were really any RPG elements either, no levelling and all the pickups were just new weapons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I need to find out not a title, but the exact specific source of the System Shock quote "Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone..."
IIRC it appears in the SS2 intro, but I'm 95% sure it originally came from the first game. What I don't know and I'm looking for is where/when in the first game it's said.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 13, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pierzak posted:

I need to find out not a title, but the exact specific source of the System Shock quote "Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone..."
IIRC it appears in the SS2 intro, but I'm 95% sure it originally came from the first game. What I don't know and I'm looking for is where/when in the first game it's said.

Google is your friend. Using that exact phrase, second hit:

quote:

In the original game, this audio is used only during the sound configuration test (install.exe), not in the game itself.
In System Shock 2, it is heard at the very beginning of the intro cutscene.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pierzak posted:

According to the System Shock wiki: In the original game, this audio is used only during the sound configuration test (install.exe), not in the game itself.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, that explains why I couldn't find it in the game itself.

Serephina posted:

Google is your friend. Using that exact phrase, second hit:
No idea why I skipped that. Probably read Many instead of Meat and went "SS2, not what I'm looking for".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think part of why System Shock 2 still holds up is because that bit of Shodan's dialogue is still terrifying 20+ years later, as we grow closer to an actual machine saying it to us

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think part of why System Shock 2 still holds up is because that bit of Shodan's dialogue is still terrifying 20+ years later, as we grow closer to an actual machine saying it to us

It's definitely a very different experience playing it 15 years later with a different perspective. last time I definitely glossed over how SHODAN actually behaves like a newly emergent being that's experimenting with its identity with no knowledge/feeling of its own limits, and how the Many is actually way older than her.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 15, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Would've been around 2000-2004 but there was a game that took place in an isometric perspective, you had a little spaceship and were mining on a planet when a bunch of monsters showed up. You could mine crystals to upgrade your ship's guns/mining ability etc. I only played a little bit of it so I can't remember much more, but the ship looked a little like this?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Is that not Viewpoint? That's the only spaceship game I can think of with that perspective but it also feels like too obvious an answer and I don't remember it having anything to do with mining. Also would have been out well before 2000.

The level 1 theme on the Genesis is awesome and makes me sad that I'm not better at it so I could see/hear the rest of the game. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_nEsiyl80

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah unfortunately it's more modern than that. I seemed like it could really scratch a progression based itch but I can't remember much and jamming anything to do with a mining game into google is a lost cause these days

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dark Orbit, the name randomly came back to me today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_5j5D8rEs

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Exactly the thread I was hoping for...

I'm trying to find a game for the Sega Genesis - it was a side scroller with platforming. You're a kid I think and at the beginning your friend or sister or something gets kidnapped by an evil wizard. You basically walk from left to right, kill enemies with a little energy shot you can do (maybe you're a wizard too?) and do hard jumps because this guy really can't jump very well. You earn...money? that can be used at the end of the level to buy upgrades, which includes improved "spells" that are either more powerful or have different movement characteristics. I think two of those were called Sun and Moon? I remember the game being pretty hard and not all that good, and I think on the second or third level you are carried along by a giant eagle for a bit.

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
Wardner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzjTALZNZs

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

That's exactly it, thank you!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Looking for a game, either freeware or shareware, from either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a, what I now understand to be, roguelike that actually worked like the original Rogue in that enemies only took actions when you did. It was sort of "cleanliness" themed in that you were shooting bubbles and stuff at evil germs or dirt or something, maybe it was actually full-on Innerspace themed? Quite bizzare. Pretty basic, 2D graphics, grid-based, I think you played as some sort of little tank. Thinking harder, it was actually more of a shooter, though, in that there were no invisible dice rolls: if you or an enemy got hit by a projectile, you got hit. I don't think there were really any RPG elements either, no levelling and all the pickups were just new weapons.

I found it! Talkin' about Drain Storm

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So this would have been in the mid 90's - I played this game at a Sears department store on an unfamiliar platform. All of this might be misremembered, but it was probably on one of those CD-based FMV consoles as there was a lot of animated sequences and some voice over dialogue. I would have recognized the controller if it was a Sega CD or Nintendo so I think it was on another platform.

The game's first level took place in a burned out post-apocalyptic cityscape. The main character is a young kid who is given a laser gun by an old man. You have to shoot evil looking robots. Maybe the robots have red eyes? First person lightgun style action but with a cursor controlled by your controller maybe? I remember doing really badly in that first training mission and the old man saying something along the lines of "good luck kid, you'll need it" as my character runs off to the next level.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

general chaos posted:

So this would have been in the mid 90's - I played this game at a Sears department store on an unfamiliar platform. All of this might be misremembered, but it was probably on one of those CD-based FMV consoles as there was a lot of animated sequences and some voice over dialogue. I would have recognized the controller if it was a Sega CD or Nintendo so I think it was on another platform.

The game's first level took place in a burned out post-apocalyptic cityscape. The main character is a young kid who is given a laser gun by an old man. You have to shoot evil looking robots. Maybe the robots have red eyes? First person lightgun style action but with a cursor controlled by your controller maybe? I remember doing really badly in that first training mission and the old man saying something along the lines of "good luck kid, you'll need it" as my character runs off to the next level.

Escape From CyberCity for the CD-i seems to fit the bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO7ssF8Ivb8

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, there was a home port of that insanely rare laserdisc game "Freedom Fighters," and it even played a little differently, considering "nice kid like you oughta be at a ball game!" never occurred in that opening scene, which was the most memorable part of the intro level for me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DariusLikewise posted:

Here's a doozy, I remember I had an old DOS text adventure game as a kid where you started off in a courtyard and the only detail I remember is if you went east or west(one of the two) you would run into a wild boar for some reason that unless you found a rusty sword first he would just kill you immediately.

Somehow while watching a LGR about a random Shareware disk collection he highlighted a text adventure game for a second and sure enough I was talking about that exact game, Sir Guy Gallant & The Deadly Warning.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Bliss Authority posted:

God, now I'm trying to remember the one Mac 4X game I had where the different species/empires terraformed the hex-map planets when they invaded or colonized, and each species had a different idea of a good planet.

It was a color game, and garish neon colors too. Short clip of electronic music on the main screen.

Sorry that I can't add more detail, it's been years.

This is ancient, but was it Full Metal Planet?

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/3667-full-metal-planet

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The shmup weapon thread reminded me of something I think I saw ages ago: I have vague memories of reading a preview for a shmup game in the early 2000s which was just fights against single boss-sized enemies. The gimmick was that it was two-player, but with one player controlling the “boss”, and roles switching each stage. Was this a real thing or am I hallucinating?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

The shmup weapon thread reminded me of something I think I saw ages ago: I have vague memories of reading a preview for a shmup game in the early 2000s which was just fights against single boss-sized enemies. The gimmick was that it was two-player, but with one player controlling the “boss”, and roles switching each stage. Was this a real thing or am I hallucinating?

Was it an arcade game? There's been free PC games that have done that.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Does anyone remember a PlayStation game (first generation) that was bright and cartoon-y and involved walking first-person through a house and being killed (graphically) by a large pink person, possibly a worm? I may have played it back in '98-99.

Also, I'm trying to find an old indie game that my cousin showed me on the old Apple Mac's (mid 90s) where you were a kid that tried to sneak out of your room and go get into trouble/drink before she caught you? It was a side scroller and may have been in Finnish or Swedish, for extra difficulty.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

duffmensch posted:

Does anyone remember a PlayStation game (first generation) that was bright and cartoon-y and involved walking first-person through a house and being killed (graphically) by a large pink person, possibly a worm? I may have played it back in '98-99.

Could it be Gregory Horror Show? It's a PS2 game, 3rd-person, and came out in 2003, but it's spot-on for being chased through a house by a large pink lizard lady, and the boxy, cartoonish style could have easily been remembered as PS1 era.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

duffmensch posted:

Also, I'm trying to find an old indie game that my cousin showed me on the old Apple Mac's (mid 90s) where you were a kid that tried to sneak out of your room and go get into trouble/drink before she caught you? It was a side scroller and may have been in Finnish or Swedish, for extra difficulty.

This was absolutely Dubbelmoral, readily available with a google search. Runs perfect in mini vMac.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Flannelette posted:

Was it an arcade game? There's been free PC games that have done that.

It was for one of the major home consoles at the time, i think. Perhaps xbox or ps2?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I'm looking for something I'm fairly sure I saw on SA being LP'd, space 4x ish game in an old Windows App ships / fleets were small triangles and there were circles? You design and upgraded ships ... yeah its all very vague in my head.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sonderval posted:

I'm looking for something I'm fairly sure I saw on SA being LP'd, space 4x ish game in an old Windows App ships / fleets were small triangles and there were circles? You design and upgraded ships ... yeah its all very vague in my head.

The game sounds like Stars!, but there's no LP of it on the master list.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sonderval posted:

Possibly Aurora4X? It's not an "old Windows App" but it absolutely looks like one.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I played this game as a kid sometime during late 90s. I remember the loading screen was black and white at first and hd mosaic art style with boats and castles and as the game slowly loaded the black and white turned into color. The game itself was some sort of base builder but I don't remember much more

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

My wife is trying to remember the name of a computer game she played in the late 80s or early 90s.

I know it’s not much to go off of, but she thinks It involved dealing with merchants, and maybe the spice trade/silk road?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Quarterroys posted:

My wife is trying to remember the name of a computer game she played in the late 80s or early 90s.

I know it’s not much to go off of, but she thinks It involved dealing with merchants, and maybe the spice trade/silk road?

Absolute shot in the dark here, but Uncharted Waters: New Horizons?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

China Sea Trader?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quarterroys posted:

Merchant Prince/Machievelli (same game, published under both names) has that:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trying to remember a late 90s/early 00s medieval strategy and city-building game that had a janky RTS battle system with a top-down view. Im pretty sure it was a sequel of some sort, and its not Knights & Merchants or Stronghold.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Trying to remember a late 90s/early 00s medieval strategy and city-building game that had a janky RTS battle system with a top-down view. Im pretty sure it was a sequel of some sort, and its not Knights & Merchants or Stronghold.

Lords of the Realm 2?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Control Volume posted:

Knights of Honour or Castles II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Lords of the Realm 2?

This is it, thanks!